Why become a member? ×

Why defret?

MrRatty

I hope you don't mind me asking but I see quite a few threads discussing the defretting of basses and I'm curious to know why this is being considered rather than a change of bass to a fretless model. I can see the advantages of obtaining an already fretless bass since it can be tried to determine suitability but to turn a fretted bass into a fretless seems a step into the unknown. Are fretless basses scarce, expensive, not as good as defretted? Thanks for your time.

Generally it is a good option if you have upgraded from a beginner bass to something better, and you fancy having a go at fretless. Also an easy step into the world of modding and luthiery in general.
Much easier to get your old encore and rip the frets out than get the £30 it'll fetch on ebay towards a squier VM (which is not as cheap as you might think).

I can think of 3 reasons:

1. you already own the bass
2. you get a really good s/h deal on the fretted version of an instrument you like but want the fretless version
3. the instrument you want is not available fretless as standard

A possible 4th reason is the relative scarcity of fretless basses. Just look at the FS section here. I reckon it's about 20:1 in favour of basses with frets.

I had a SUB and then got a full on US 'Ray. As I didn't have a fretless at that time (I'd had them previously) and was missing having one, the SUB seemed liked a great candidate. It all turned out great and although I don't have that 'Ray anymore I do still have the fretless SUB. Big up to The Gallery who did the superb defret job at a very reasonable cost.

In the late 70's - my dad took the plyers to my Fender Jazz [ actually it had been his] and ripped the frets out
and filled the gap - [b]why?....[/b]
Because Jaco had, so everyone else was having a go... :)

I still have and use it to this day - i am on my second board though [nice bit of dark Ebony that has lasted about 10 years till now]

Garry

[quote name='Conan' post='1263042' date='Jun 9 2011, 06:30 PM']If you have a fretted bass that you already like, but maybe don't play it as often as you could; and you want a fretless....[/quote]

Exactly my reasoning with my '89 MIJ Jazz... I like it but really only play upright and fretless these days, so why have a saleable Warwick Fretless (well theoretically saleable anyway) in use and a fretted Jazz gathering dust in the cupboard that I liked but to be honest had paid over the top for on fleabay so would never recover the money on - may as well move the Warwick on and get max use out of the defretted Jazz.

ficelles

Edited by ficelles

[quote name='MrRatty' post='1262633' date='Jun 9 2011, 01:22 PM']I hope you don't mind me asking but I see quite a few threads discussing the defretting of basses and I'm curious to know why this is being considered rather than a change of bass to a fretless model. I can see the advantages of obtaining an already fretless bass since it can be tried to determine suitability but to turn a fretted bass into a fretless seems a step into the unknown. Are fretless basses scarce, expensive, not as good as defretted? Thanks for your time.[/quote]

I can only answer for myself (two defretted basses).

I did it because I wanted a fretless, and I already owned some basses that I was happy with with regards to feel, sound, etc but that I didn't really need. To sell those and then look for suitable fretless basses seemed more of a step into the unknown, as well as slower and probably not cost-effective. It was not expensive for me to get the transformation done, in my opinion.

I am not talking about expensive instruments here.

My most recent one was a Sue Ryder P-bass. I had put nylon tapewounds on it and loved the sound, and thoght "this would be amazing if it were fretless", so I got it done. The result is a very nice Precision fretless that I would have trouble finding an equivalent of... and most of all, I already knew what it would be like.
Subsequently I have bought a beautiful Japanese Fender Precision, 70s reissue type... I play both. They sound and feel different, they have different strings (the Fender has roundwounds), and it's great to have both.

My first defretted one is an OLP Stingray style bass, with an upgraded pickup and the 2EQ preamp that used to be on my real Stingray.
This one came about because I needed a fretless for a project, and loved the sound of fretless Stingrays. Since it's the type of bass I generally play, I'm used to it and I find it easier to play in fretless form. I had 3 OLPs and a MM Stingray. It seemed simple to convert one of them... and the alternative (a real fretless Stingray) would be much more costly. Maybe one day I'll buy a real one, as I am sure it'll be all round better (I haven't tried one yet). But this one does the job very nicely.

I don't think defretting is jumping into the unknown, the opposite: you have an instrument you already know... and hopefully like too. Unless it's very precious to modify this way, I think it's a good option, providing you can finish the job properly, either by yourself or someone who really knows what they're doing.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1263108' date='Jun 9 2011, 07:21 PM']Because [s]Jaco[/s] Bill Wyman did it that way.[/quote]
Fixed.

I did it to my SB-1000 because I was totally unaware that there had ever been a factory fretless option. I also felt that a significant portion of the learning curve could be bypassed by defretting an instrument with a neck I was already familiar with.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5094&hl="]The conversion[/url] ended up being a bit of a saga, but I learned a load of stuff doing it & the end result is truly 'mine'.

Pete.