Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass- Warwick sound

thumperbob 2002

Hi

I play a Warwick 5 Thru neck- love the sound but Im having so much fun playing my Marcus Miller 4 string that I would love a Jazz that has as good a sound as my warwick- is there any?

The Warwick can sound low, thick and mean- growl to excess!!

The Jazz is a little limiting- even with the pre-amp and vintage fender p-ups.

Marcus`s sounds great- his fingerstyle sound is the best- listen to the "bass player tv" clinic- unbelievable. I play mostly soul and funk- some gospel so his sound would work- any ideas? I sound miles better on the Warwick so my humble finger skills on giving me a sound do work- I dont want to sound like Marcus ( though I would like to ) I just want a jazz to give me that sustain/ growl/ warmth of a good Warwick.

My budget is massive by the way!! What should I buy- money no object.

Help really appreciated.

Cheers

Bob

Not sure if many things sound like a Warwick, I hate the neck ache that my Thumb BO4 gives me on a long gig and the occassional hand cramp on fast passages but I love the sound.
Of all the jazzes I've played I think the Lakkie DJ5 I currently have gets closest to the Warwick growl on a passive finger style. If you're prepared to go active then IMHO it's the Sterling you want sir

Hi there
I seem to remember warwick bringing out a jazz bass ages ago (well it wasnt warwick per se) it was a framus bass which is the same company, have a look on the framus website, it had the MEC jazz pickups/wenge neck and a bubinga body i think, ive not actually seen one in the flesh so cant give any detailed analysis, i play a jazz bass and a couple of warwicks and love them all so would love to try one the idea is cool but never seen one about, have a look :)
Good hunting- LEE

Hi

I play a Warwick 5 Thru neck- love the sound but Im having so much fun playing my Marcus Miller 4 string that I would love a Jazz that has as good a sound as my warwick- is there any?

Marcus`s sounds great- his fingerstyle sound is the best- listen to the "bass player tv" clinic- unbelievable. I play mostly soul and funk- some gospel so his sound would work- any ideas? I sound miles better on the Warwick so my humble finger skills on giving me a sound do work- I dont want to sound like Marcus ( though I would like to ) I just want a jazz to give me that sustain/ growl/ warmth of a good Warwick.

Help really appreciated.

Cheers

Bo

A Streamer Stage II could be your answer, they are much more suited for bridge pick up enthusiasts and due to the use of different body woods as opposed to the Thumb's they have a much more jazz like growl but with that combined Warwick growl and low's so really you do get that perfect growl, IMO that is. No other W's come close to the SSII's growl, only the Thumb NT does (Not even Thumb BO's, mine lacks growl if anything, as doe's my Stage 1) but still holding it's own unique growl as you well know.

And they look brilliant as well:
[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/NewsCustomShop.php?newsID=518&modell=Streamer&page=9&cl=EN"]SSII[/url]

And here's a perfect example of an SSII, both finger style and slap:
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EIBD7L73I4Q"]Incubus[/url]

Only a few months 'til I get mine as well!

Edited by Josh

Hello again
Been doin a bit off googling, The framus bass was called the "soulbass" and had an ovankol/ rosewood neck , Ash body (but does look like bubinga and a badass bridge( a la marcus miller) and i think the pickups were MEC's apparently its discontinued by im am seriously on the lookout for one now it looks th dogs.
I agree with brave sir robin if your budget is massive im sure overwater will make a bubinga, wenge, jazz bass for you and itwill rock! or dare i say a Fodera emperer 2 :huh: (very jazz like in the body i think) a personal dream bass of mine.
Keep funckin- LEE

Hi there
I seem to remember warwick bringing out a jazz bass ages ago (well it wasnt warwick per se) it was a framus bass which is the same company, have a look on the framus website, it had the MEC jazz pickups/wenge neck and a bubinga body i think, ive not actually seen one in the flesh so cant give any detailed analysis, i play a jazz bass and a couple of warwicks and love them all so would love to try one the idea is cool but never seen one about, have a look :)
Good hunting- LEE

Hi

Help really appreciated.

Cheers

Bo
[/quote]

Just an aside, really, but maybe a helpful one (?)

What strings are you using?

I have a love/hate relationship with the Fender Marcus Miller Jazz. (Although I don't own one, I've come close several times!)
Love the shape & Feel
Hate the messy scratchplate and can't get on with the sound from the EQ.
I love it when run passive, but there's no passive tone!

So...

I thought I'd have a go at pimping a Jazz on the cheap, and wanted to aim (loosely) for a take on the Miller tone.
My wife bought me a Squier 70's VMJ, I added a BadAss II and some better (Schaller) control knobs, but left the electrics alone.
Attached my customary FatFinger (well... I like them!) and was quite happy with it. It played well and sounded good.
When the stock (cheapo steel roundwounds) strings died, I thought I'd have a bit of a little joke and fit some [b]DR Marcus Miller FatBeams[/b]

Oh my.
What a difference.

I'm sure I don't need to extol the virtues of good quality strings, but these really did the trick!

As with everyone's bass tones, there are a number of components;

The player and their approach / technique
The type and quality of their strings and how these respond to the player's input
The way in which the strings are mounted to the body and the construction method/s and materials employed in the instrument's manufacture
The type and quality of the instruments electrics and how these transcribe the motion of the strings into an electrical signal
Subsequent modification of this signal by effects, amplification, cabinet choice, cables etc.

I may have put "strings" further up that list than some may be comfortable with, but don't overlook their importance in determining your sound.

For £30 or so, it's worth trying them on both your MM Jazz and/or your Thumb to see if you like what they have to offer in terms of playability and tone, then proceed from there!

Sorry for the long post!!

Yes, I think the custom commission sounds good, given your budget freedom. Find a good luther and give him your exact brief and you should end up with a great bass. I use Jazz basses and had a 4-string FNA Jazzman. I loved the warwick sound but found the neck to be 'soul less'. I aspire to commissioning a super jazz to be built one day!

PS The Funkmeister 5-string super jazz reviewed in the most recent Bass Guitar Magazine, looks tasty.

Hi there,

I know you said money is no object, but it seems silly to spend loads (or anything at all) until you've tried simpler options.

Might I suggest changing the pickups for something with more meat to them? Perhaps DiMarzio Model J's?

I had the chance to A-B compared my jazz with Model J's in to a Nordy with Fat Stacks in, and the Nordy sounded weak(er) in comparison. Not a bad sound from the Nordy! Don't get me wrong, it just didn't have the same muscle that my jazz did, and I attribute that to the Model J's. I would put it up against any Warwick, Smith, Sadowsky or equivalent high end bass with these babies in.

If you want a thick, muscular tone, but from a jazz and retaining the sweet essence of a jazz, I highly recommend Model J's as an aftermarket pickup change.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='145768' date='Feb 23 2008, 10:26 PM']I know you said money is no object, but it seems silly to spend loads (or anything at all) until you've tried simpler options.[/quote]
Dont you know an excuse for GAS when you see one. The preamp in the Jap MM is not the best and a few guys have souped it up with an EBS preamp or the proper Sadowsky fitted to Marcus own bass.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='145784' date='Feb 23 2008, 11:23 PM']Dont you know an excuse for GAS when you see one. The preamp in the Jap MM is not the best and a few guys have souped it up with an EBS preamp or the proper Sadowsky fitted to Marcus own bass.[/quote]
Don't East do one?

I think it's available with or without the scratchplate attached (?)

i would say that a sadowsky metro would do the job!
the thing with warwick is that the jazz pickups are not true single coils, and are hum cancelling! this gives the big clear tone, similar to that of EMGs. they sound very little like a true jazz bass. heres the tone of warwick stage II, very typical tone of warwick.
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VE4dCeNk5U8&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VE4dCeNk5U8&...feature=related[/url]

The sadowsky basses have the humcancelling jazz style pickups but also have the growl and active eq. they are also good quality and well priced!

You could try the [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/index.php"]AC Guitars[/url] filter based preamp - should nail the sound you're after, and much more! I've yet to try a more versatile preamp.

Sound samples [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/docs/news/72.mp3"]HERE[/url]

Edited by andyonbass

[quote]Dont you know an excuse for GAS when you see one[/quote]

D'oh! Guess I don't :) I'm a big fan of having one bass, at most two or even three, mainly because I spend all my time practicing on one bass. So I always advise working with what you've got first before going out and spending more money on more instruments.

You raise a good point about the preamp though, that could/would really change the available sounds of the MM.

Mark