Why become a member? ×

57 RI USA

cd_david

I swapped this with Bassman Sam last month, its a beautiful bass that had at some point been stripped and refinished natural, the finish had worn through on the front and back.

I wanted to refinish it black (57 period correct AND RW like) so I took it to trusty Dave Wilson who did the original RW P I built.

Stripped with a sleepy Mr Blues

The back was particularly bad with the buckle rash exaggerating the grain just on the body contour and when Dave worked on it he has had to do a lot of building to retain the contour line but all looks fantastic.

This is how it looks with the body filled and under coated.

Getting exciting now
:)

Edited by cd_david

[quote name='cd_david' post='1261585' date='Jun 8 2011, 06:37 PM']I swapped this with Bassman Sam last month, its a beautiful bass that had at some point been stripped and refinished natural, the finish had worn through on the front and back.

I wanted to refinish it black (57 period correct AND RW like) so I took it to trusty Dave Wilson who did the original RW P I built.

Stripped with a sleepy Mr Blues

The back was particularly bad with the buckle rash exaggerating the grain just on the body contour and when Dave worked on it he has had to do a lot of building to retain the contour line but all looks fantastic.

This is how it looks with the body filled and under coated.

Getting exciting now
:)[/quote]

Not wishing to be geeky about things, but a '57 P-Bass would be 2 tone sunburst, with a maple neck. Black wasn't available on P's until early 60's.

That said, black/rosewood if thats your thing will be very cool.

Good luck with the build, great resto work so far. Not familiar with him, but from these pics, Dave Wilson's obviously a name to remember

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1261747' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:17 PM']Good luck with the build, great resto work so far. Not familiar with him, but from these pics, Dave Wilson's obviously a name to remember[/quote]

Dave is a bit of a legend up in these parts and most of the North East bass playing community are aware of his pedigree. Theres a bit more info on him and his work [url="http://www.dwilsonguitars.com/"]here[/url].

• 1 month later...

Here it is with the custom made guard (57 hole pattern) and hipshot. :) Dave Wilson has excelled himself AGAIN with the paint and filling on the body, from what looked like a ploughed field to a mirror!

Its got a new CTS and cloth circuit too, sounds beautiful, plays wonderfully too, good action on it. Im very pleased.

• 4 weeks later...