Why become a member? ×

1981 B.C.Rich USA Mockingbird WITHDRAWN

Lorne

Here is my December 1981 U.S.A. TJ Mockingbird bass, technically it was made in Tiajuana Mexico, but it is still classed as a USA Handmade.

A piece of pure class, totally hand carved,body and neck

Wings are SOLID Pacific East coast maple, known as quilted maple.Rosewood Stringers.Neck is flame maple and the 24 fret fingerboard is Rosewood.It is nearly entirely original, with the exception of the jackplate, when I got it, someone had put a Football shaped plate on it, I have replaced it with the correct type plate.The saddles were on the wrong way around when it arrived, and one was beyond saving, so I had to buy a complete NEW bridge, just to get the saddle, the saddles are now the correct way around!

Has 2 holes where someone moved the strap buttons, quite a bit of worming on the rear (Not through the paint).A few little dimples in the front (Not through the paint).Small loss of paint on the lower horn tip (And I mean SMALL).Worse part is laquer missing off the top face of the headstock on the right hand side as you look at it.

Grover Titan tuners, Leo Quan original Badass Bridge, DiMarzio pick ups, Neal Moser designed electronics :- Booster with vol control, 6 position varitone etc etc

Original hardcase, has a defective clasp, you need to move the button accross by hand to shut it, spring must be buggered

Asking £1800 plus shipping, collection prefered

Edited by Lorne

Showing the correct jackplate

I don't know if you can see the Laquer missing on the headstock, but here is a pic

One of the Bich 8's and the Widow might be for sale at some point too, just not decided, the other Mockingbird in the picture would be extremely expensive :) :)

[quote name='walbassist' post='1261147' date='Jun 8 2011, 01:21 PM']Wow, I feel a Neil Murray moment coming on.....[/quote]

Neil completley messed his bass up, shortened the fretboard, sank a bridge into it, routed it a hundred times for different pick ups etc, shame really

[quote name='RaNoFuNkY' post='1261360' date='Jun 8 2011, 03:51 PM']WOW!

Is this 34"? I thought some of the early ones where 32" scale.

Amazing bass - good luck![/quote]

B.C.Rich didn't make 32" scale length, not to my knowledge, they did make 30.5" scale length basses, virtually ALL Bich basses are 30.5" scale, this Mockingbird is 34" scale length, I have a friend who has a Koa 30.5", not sure he wants to sell it though, and it's in the U.S.A. :)

[quote name='RaNoFuNkY' post='1261791' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:36 PM']Ah! No idea where I've got that from then.

Free bump for the chasm of ignorance between my ears![/quote]

No worries, I just happen to be the fountain of useless knowledge in regards to B.C.Rich :)

[quote name='Lorne' post='1261149' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:21 PM']Showing the correct jackplate

I don't know if you can see the Laquer missing on the headstock, but here is a pic

One of the Bich 8's and the Widow might be for sale at some point too, just not decided, the other Mockingbird in the picture would be extremely expensive :) :lol:[/quote]

WOW, I love that Widow bass!!! :)
but if it's anywhere near the price of this bass it's way too expensive for my wallet i'm afraid.. :D

Edited by Bassdude BE

[quote name='Bassdude BE' post='1261870' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:18 PM']WOW, I love that Widow bass!!! :)
but if it's anywhere near the price of this bass it's way too expensive for my wallet i'm afraid.. :lol:[/quote]

The list price for a Widow like this is $5895 or £3595, mine is a 2007 and apart from a 1.5mm mark in the front (bloody kids) is immaculate, I am awaiting a phone call about it tommorow, but there is no harm in telling you, I am after £1200 for it.I'm keeping this one :)

[quote name='4000' post='1261952' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:53 PM']Spectacular. I feel a Geezer Butler moment coming on (yes I know his was an Eagle...)![/quote]

He's had at least 2 Eagles, a Maple one and a Koa one, but he owns this too

I've got one of them too

NOT for sale :)

[quote name='Lorne' post='1261139' date='Jun 8 2011, 01:15 PM']Here is my December 1981 U.S.A. TJ Mockingbird bass, technically it was made in Tiajuana Mexico, but it is still classed as a USA Handmade.

A piece of pure class, totally hand carved,body and neck

Wings are SOLID Pacific East coast maple, known as quilted maple.Rosewood Stringers.Neck is flame maple and the 24 fret fingerboard is Rosewood.It is nearly entirely original, with the exception of the jackplate, when I got it, someone had put a Football shaped plate on it, I have replaced it with the correct type plate.The saddles were on the wrong way around when it arrived, and one was beyond saving, so I had to buy a complete NEW bridge, just to get the saddle, the saddles are now the correct way around!

Has 2 holes where someone moved the strap buttons, quite a bit of worming on the rear (Not through the paint).A few little dimples in the front (Not through the paint).Small loss of paint on the lower horn tip (And I mean SMALL).Worse part is laquer missing off the top face of the headstock on the right hand side as you look at it.

Grover Titan tuners, Leo Quan original Badass Bridge, DiMarzio pick ups, Neal Moser designed electronics :- Booster with vol control, 6 position varitone etc etc

Original hardcase, has a defective clasp, you need to move the button accross by hand to shut it, spring must be buggered

Asking £1800 plus shipping, collection prefered[/quote]

Amazing - i bet it sounds fantastic...Good luck with the sale Lorne!

[quote name='Lorne' post='1262025' date='Jun 8 2011, 10:38 PM']He's had at least 2 Eagles, a Maple one and a Koa one, but he owns this too

I've got one of them too

NOT for sale :)[/quote]

I must say I prefer the Eagle, Mockingbird and Bich. Always wanted one, never got one. Sadly no money at the mo (and I suspect a Mockingbird may be a little head heavy which is a no-no for me). Best of luck selling though, it's beautiful.