Why become a member? ×

Practicing at home

Roland Rock

After a bit of forced spousal persuasion, my amp and cab are now tucked away out of sight in their respective cover/case, only to come out for gigs. The problem, then, is practicing. I've managed for ages unplugged, but decided to try and use some of the other devices lying around the house.
First I tried the [url="http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=SOUNDSTICKS3AM"]Harmon Kardon Soundsticks[/url] but the buzz was bad, and the tone a bit boomy.
The real surprise came when I tried playing through the [url="http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-61212&Category="]Pure Oasis[/url] digital radio. Quiet, but loud enough to play at home, and a lovely, full, true representation of my bass' tone. And a bonus is that I can take it anywhere. Maybe I'll take up busking again :)

Phil Jones bass buddy? Also doubles up as a preamp, which may come in handy. There's one FS on the forum [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=138995&hl=bass+buddy"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=bass+buddy[/url]

When I lived with my parents, we used to have one of those old Philips reel to reel tape recorders with the green 'Magic Eye' recording level light. It was all valve driven and dated from the sixties. There was a DIN socket on the side for plugging in an extra microphone so I wired up a cable with a DIN plug, switched it on and.... out flowed a fantastic angry overdriven sound. I could really use that sound in pedal form. That was my first practice amp.

I've used the aux in on my ipod dock & also a set of satellite & sub PC speakers (sometimes via the mac, sometimes direct). Both work reasonably well at low volumes & fine if you're just practising playing & not doing much with fx.
I do have a wee Vox Venue 30 bass combo handy(which is heavier than my MB combo!).

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1260701' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:25 AM']When I lived with my parents, we used to have one of those old Philips reel to reel tape recorders with the green 'Magic Eye' recording level light. It was all valve driven and dated from the sixties. There was a DIN socket on the side for plugging in an extra microphone so I wired up a cable with a DIN plug, switched it on and.... out flowed a fantastic angry overdriven sound. I could really use that sound in pedal form. That was my first practice amp.[/quote]

I'm no expert on this era, but I believe many of those devices used EF86 or similar pentode valves for the pre-amp stage. You can still find EF86's, maybe try making a pedal out of it (or having one made)? Not sure it's been done yet.

[quote name='escholl' post='1260723' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:42 AM']I'm no expert on this era, but I believe many of those devices used EF86 or similar pentode valves for the pre-amp stage. You can still find EF86's, maybe try making a pedal out of it (or having one made)? Not sure it's been done yet.[/quote]
Interesting..... thanks for that escholl.

I'll sometimes use the hi-fi for practising - the speakers are an elderly pair of Epos ES14s, are built like battleships and will go reasonably loud without stress.

Bass pod pro > Housemates fancy denon 2.1 system
For a while, it wasn't too bad to be fair, when you started to crank it, then it hated you.

Getting my amp down there this year though, thank god.

Edited by Ross

I use a Stealth Plug USB interface into my laptop on which I run Reaper with various amp modelling software.
Using the headphone out on the Stealth Plug I use my Sony hi-fi amp ( a Legato Linear model with just a volume control) and from this to my 80's Castle floor-standers.

Virtually zero latency and a superb smooth sound at either practice levels or shake the walls down.
I don't bother with bass amps or combos. Even when I played live years ago we honed our sound through a quality PA and used little in the way of backline gear.

Edited by Prosebass

Having prevaricated for a while, I finally plumped for a second TC RH450 along with a Genz Benz STL-10T cab.

Way too much money, but teeny tiny, sounds fab, and can easily be slung around to rehearsals and small gigs, where the big brother version isn't required.

Spend well, spend once, never regret...

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1260969' date='Jun 8 2011, 11:28 AM']How loud do you need to get when practicing at home? For me, as long as I can hear it, that's loud enough.[/quote]
At uni - Housemates in - reasonable / housemates out - loud
At home - Quiet as possible due to elderly neighbours