Why become a member? ×

Resonance expression vs Wah

Sibob

On my Boss ME-50b the pedal can either be used as a Wah or a Resonance pedal.
I seem to prefer the sound of the Resonance setting for effecting the other sounds I might be using.
Can anyone shed any light on the actual difference between the two effects?

Cheers
Si

As I understand it, the "Wah" setting is based on a band-pass filter with a reasonably sharp Q factor (just like a normal wah pedal), so as you sweep the frequency, you're shifting a narrow "window" of frequencies around the spectrum. As you sweep up, you lose the low end, and vice versa.

I believe the "Resonance" setting is based on an old-school analogue-type low-pass filter, so you'll retain the low end at all positions of the pedal, but just open up the top-end as you sweep up. It's still got a reasonably sharp Q, so there's a fair old wedge of honky resonance around the filter cutoff frequency.

This is just from what I know about filters and what I remember from 15 minutes or so with an ME-50B about 3 years ago, so take it with a pinch of salt. :)

No that's great, explains it a bit more for me!.
Any idea as to what might be able to replace it as a single pedal. Any Bass Wah's that retain the bottom end like it, anyone tried the Morley?....is it sprung?! Lol

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='1259490' date='Jun 7 2011, 11:30 AM']Any idea as to what might be able to replace it as a single pedal.[/quote]
No idea, I'm afraid. My ACGs have resonant filters built into the preamps, so I'm all filtered up. :)

If I were in the market for a sweepable, tweakable filter pedal setup, I'd probably go for a Moogerfooger Low-Pass Filter with an expression pedal. But obviously that's 2 pedals and it costs a bomb.

Just had a lightbulb moment... remembered that the EBS wah pedals (Wah One and Stanley Clarke) both have switchable LP modes. They're not sprung (at least, not that I know of), but they seem quite tweakable. Not tried them though.

Pricey too.

Edited by BottomEndian

Despite that it's an envelope not a wah (although I think you can add a pedal if you want), check out the Source Audio bass envelope filter. From the demo vid's it looks seriously awesome! GASing after their distortion pedal atm.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1259768' date='Jun 7 2011, 02:59 PM']Just had a lightbulb moment... remembered that the EBS wah pedals (Wah One and Stanley Clarke) both have switchable LP modes. They're not sprung (at least, not that I know of), but they seem quite tweakable. Not tried them though.

Pricey too.[/quote]

Yep...the Wah One has a low pass button,and the Stanley Clarke has a knob for low pass/high pass/band pass/boosted band pass.

As the Morley was mentioned,it's a good sounding pedal but for me,the sweep of the treadle was too short.I can't remember if it
was sprung or not.

From the sound of what BottomEndian has said, the moog MF-101 with an expression pedal would be the same.
It's a Low Pass Filter (from the Minimoog) & you can use exp pedals to control the cut off, resonance, amount (for the envelope follower) & mix (you could use 4 pedals on this if you wanted).

Myself, Shep (Panterairsoft) & a few other BCers use these. There's a vid of me using one in the effectys reviews section as well as some audio clips.

I have a Wilson Freaker Wah which is great for bandpass, and an Iron Ether Xerograph as a cheaper smaller alternative to the Moog for low-pass. Not sure which one I prefer though, the low pass obviously keeps more lows but the wah sounds a bit gnarlier!

[quote name='ZMech' post='1259805' date='Jun 7 2011, 03:28 PM']Despite that it's an envelope not a wah (although I think you can add a pedal if you want), check out the Source Audio bass envelope filter. From the demo vid's it looks seriously awesome! GASing after their distortion pedal atm.[/quote]
for the money, this is the most versatile envelope filter pedal around. the only issue is that so far it can only be manually swept by the 'hot hand' controller (a wah on a finger-ring-type-thing), although there is the possibility of a foot controller adaptor (or similar) arriving soon.

the pro version (due for release in a couple of months) promises ace fun, and i would bet that that will be footswitchable.

I guess its whether the solutions above actually save me any hassle over the ME-50b.....seeing as the Resonance control/sounds on the foot pedal are great. A filter pedal plus expression pedal isn't saving me space.

Si