Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Soundgear.....

TRBboy

Ok, I know a lot of [b]Metal[/b] players choose the SR's, but does anyone here have any opinions about using them as a good all-round rock bass, covering everything from late 60's/early 70's through to now?

I am particularly interested to know about the SR500/600/700 sorta models, as that is the pricepoint I would be looking at.

I tried out a SR700 briefly last year and was blown away, but unfortunately just ended up noodling funk/slap (which I'm pretty poor at!), and didn't try it with a pick or playing any of the rock basslines that I usually play. There's nowhere very close to me that stocks them, so I'd appreciate your opinions/experiences.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: After just looking a bit more, the SRX430 looks like a possible contender too...... any thoughts? I like the look of this one best!

Edited by TRBboy

i have an sr1000 and i love it and yes is a pj thing is that ibanez ment to be for heavy moding ...

mine has SD pickups the old one with eq swithces on the pickup!!!!
and emg 2 band active preamp
shaller keys

plays like a dream and is the lightest bass ever .....

unfortunatelly i play 5 strings more often these days :)

I've got an SR1000 as well! Bought it as a rock bass way back in 1990 & has been my main bass ever since.

My current band is a 3-5 piece that do a mix of blues, folk, funk, jazz & anything else that doesn't fit & I also play bass occasionally at church (if I'm not on guitar duty).

I've since stripped it down to the wood & oiled it & took it away from the "Rock" image.

Here's a before...

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/2607131595/"][/url]

& here's the after...

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/5752503160/"][/url]

Still needs a waxing & a better pic than a phone one.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=134250"]Link to the process.[/url]

Sound wise, I can get anything from mid focused sounds that cut thru to deep dubby bassy sounds (I've put flatwounds on to get more synth like tones).

Unfortunately I've no idea how the newer ones are with the soapbar p/ups but if they're 1/2 as flexible as this, then you wont be disappointed.

I've been an SR505 owner since they bought them out (5 string version of the SR500).
Although I own other basses, it's still my main 'grab it' bass and gets used for everything from rock through to folk.
The neck is the fastest of any production bass, the electronics are more than adequate and you can wear it all night without shoulder ache.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1252108' date='May 31 2011, 09:55 PM']I've got an SR1000 as well! Bought it as a rock bass way back in 1990 & has been my main bass ever since.

My current band is a 3-5 piece that do a mix of blues, folk, funk, jazz & anything else that doesn't fit & I also play bass occasionally at church (if I'm not on guitar duty).

I've since stripped it down to the wood & oiled it & took it away from the "Rock" image.

Here's a before...

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/2607131595/"][/url]

& here's the after...

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/5752503160/"][/url]

Still needs a waxing & a better pic than a phone one.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=134250"]Link to the process.[/url]

Sound wise, I can get anything from mid focused sounds that cut thru to deep dubby bassy sounds (I've put flatwounds on to get more synth like tones).

Unfortunately I've no idea how the newer ones are with the soapbar p/ups but if they're 1/2 as flexible as this, then you wont be disappointed.[/quote]

Wow, that after looks the dogs.

I have an SR600 (bought new last year) and I'd say it's a very good all-round bass - I posted a full review of it on BC a few weeks ago.

Have to say I don't play metal, but I'm into a variety of different genres and find this bass takes it all in its stride.

I'm currently playing in an unsigned indie originals band, where (if only from a visual perspective) something from Fender or Gibson would perhaps be more typical? But I tend to unconsciously ignore things like that and am happy that the SR600 delivers the sounds I need as well as being incredibly comforable to play.

I've owned many basses over the last few years, including USA precisions & jazzes, Warwicks, Musicman, etc.
A bad back forced me to buy a lighter bass, and I went for a SR500.
I love it so much now, that it's the only one I ever pick up, apart from the SR505 I added a few weeks later.

They are great basses, worth far more than they cost IMO, and deliver all the sounds you will ever need for playing all kinds of music.

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='1252122' date='May 31 2011, 10:09 PM']Wow, that after looks the dogs.[/quote]

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1252753' date='Jun 1 2011, 03:03 PM']if I understand this turn of phrase correctly, then +1 :)[/quote]
Thanks guys. I actually got a surprise at the wood when I stripped it.
I was 1/2 expecting to be painting the bass (or at least covering it in silver leaf). My original trade is a signwriter & my bro & dad still are, so no probs with laquering etc.
Looking forward to giving it a wax. I just so happen to have a bag of bees wax pellets.

Of course they'll work well in that area. Only reason you see loads of metal players with em is because they don't cost too much, but yet give you all you could want in a decent bass...Plus the name Ibanez attracts them anyway.
However, they are so much more than a "metal" bass, in fact any bass can be used anywhere.
I use a Yamaha TRB6II, hardly a metal bass, but I like it's playability and tone, so I use it.

So yep, the SR will work for you, no matter what and yes, they really are damn good as well! :-)
Think of them as the Jazz Bass of Ibanez, work horses.

I use Ibanez Soundgear basses exclusively (although my Jazz project is nearing completion!). I have the older ones which were made so incredibly well; my main is a mid-90s SR1205 which I love to bits. I put EMGs in there and an EMG preamp too. I use it in my metal band, but I also use it in my rock/pop covers band. We play stuff like Deep Purple, Kiss, The Darkness and even Brian Adams. I have no problems with it at all. It doesn't do the passive Fender sound, but it does a great rock sound and isn't too bad at blues either.