Why become a member? ×

Recommended headphones ?

carl0s

I've decided that the buzz I'm getting is actually my headphones resonating. I have some AKG K240 MK2s that I bought for my drum kit.
I've Googled "bass practice headphones" but not had much luck.

Any recommendations? Running from my POD X3 live.

cheers,
Carl

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1249667' date='May 29 2011, 09:11 PM']sennheiser hd205's.. ive had them 3 years... sound great and never had any problems...

the best bit... they were 25 squid[/quote]

+1 I use mine through my Pod too.

I just got some Beyerdynamic DT 770s and they are fantastic - superb definition across all frequencies and soooo comfy - they should last for years too - and are very affordable

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-Headset-250/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306743870&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770...3870&sr=8-1[/url]

Highly recommended - Senheisser are great too (I've had a top of the range pair of HDs for over ten years) but I prefer the DTs

Thanks guys. Some good options there.

[quote name='urb' post='1249918' date='May 30 2011, 09:26 AM']I just got some Beyerdynamic DT 770s and they are fantastic - superb definition across all frequencies and soooo comfy - they should last for years too - and are very affordable

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-Headset-250/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306743870&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770...3870&sr=8-1[/url]

Highly recommended - Senheisser are great too (I've had a top of the range pair of HDs for over ten years) but I prefer the DTs[/quote]

Urb, do you have the 250 ohm version or the 80 ohm ones? My AKGs are ~54 ohm and as far as volume goes, they're good. I'm not sure if a 250 ohm pair would be to quiet without some sort of additional amplifier. What do you reckon?

[quote name='MythSte' post='1250234' date='May 30 2011, 01:19 PM']If its just for practice get yourself some cheapish in-ear headphones. Much easier for them to create decent bass SPL in your ears. Over ear headphones are always going to struggle IMO.[/quote]

I do have some nice Klipsch in-ear headphones but I'm not sure they're adequate for this, although they are the best yet for normal music listening.

Hmmm. It's between the Sony MDR-XB700, and the Senn HD280 Pro. Both ~£70. I want to buy a Boss GT-10B, but want to keep hold of my POD X3 Live as well, so really I could do with keeping costs down where possible. £70 headphones are more in my price range today than £140 ones.

[quote name='carl0s' post='1250189' date='May 30 2011, 12:44 PM']Thanks guys. Some good options there.

Urb, do you have the 250 ohm version or the 80 ohm ones? My AKGs are ~54 ohm and as far as volume goes, they're good. I'm not sure if a 250 ohm pair would be to quiet without some sort of additional amplifier. What do you reckon?[/quote]

Now that you mention it the 250s are a little quiet compared to my old Sens (or my new in-ear ones) but I'm mainly using them at home with my Mackie sound card and I can crank the volume to just right level - I'm trying them now with my iPhone and even though the volume is full up the sound is excellent - supe clear with amazing definition - the 80ohms are sure to be louder but these are seriously great headphones... highly recommended once again :)

[quote name='urb' post='1250440' date='May 30 2011, 04:20 PM']Now that you mention it the 250s are a little quiet compared to my old Sens (or my new in-ear ones) but I'm mainly using them at home with my Mackie sound card and I can crank the volume to just right level - I'm trying them now with my iPhone and even though the volume is full up the sound is excellent - supe clear with amazing definition - the 80ohms are sure to be louder but these are seriously great headphones... highly recommended once again :)[/quote]

Thanks. If I'm not happy with the Sonys, I will give these DT770s a go. I just had to buy yet another (third one + 1 repaired in as many years) aluminium trolley jack, and I want the GT-10B, so I have decided to go a little down-market on this purchase..

[quote name='carl0s' post='1249368' date='May 29 2011, 04:28 PM']I've decided that the buzz I'm getting is actually my headphones resonating. I have some AKG K240 MK2s that I bought for my drum kit.
I've Googled "bass practice headphones" but not had much luck.

Any recommendations? Running from my POD X3 live.

cheers,
Carl[/quote]
I also have a POD X3 LIVE. I bought some new proper monitoring headphones a few weeks ago for my studio. A good few people are recommending KRK KNS 8400 so that's what I got. [url="http://www.krksys.com/krk-headphones/kns-8400.html"]http://www.krksys.com/krk-headphones/kns-8400.html[/url]

They are brilliant! [u]Plenty[/u] of bass, down to 5Hz, up to 23kHz and very low distortion. The bass gets better after a few days use, you have to run them in like most speakers.

£129 from Digital Village.

KRK KNS 8400 Overview
RECORD. MIX. MONITOR. ENJOY.
KRK Headphones provide a precise listening experience that takes you from personal studio to commercial studio to on-the-go track evaluations -- and they allow you to accurately enjoy your music with the consistent voicing philosophy and honest reproduction top producers, studio musicians, performers and engineers have come to trust. KRK headphones provide incredibly natural frequency response that gives you a reference standard unaffected by your location. Day or night. Studio or home. Without disturbing others. Without compromising your tracks. Passionate about music and interested in experiencing the artist's vision as it was intended to be heard? Then experience KRK.

Headphones for Educated Ears.
Looking for a pair of headphones that are specifically designed to replicate music as it should be heard with the ability to satisfy experienced ears? Get your head around this: KRK has always been focused solely on accurate monitoring. The KNS 8400 -- with their ability to reveal exactly what you have on the tracks is an ideal choice for critical listening. Being able to discern the most subtle differences in pitch, timbre and tone helps you to get it right every mix, every take, every performance. Isolating memory foam in the ear cushions delivers improved low end response and because they gently conform to your unique head shape you'll be comfortable wearing them all day.

PERFORMANCE
Accurate, natural and wide frequency response
Class leading KRK sound clarity, very low-distortion
Precise Imaging and extended LF response
High isolation for both noise rejection and leakage
UTILITY
Detachable and replaceable locking cable
Rotating ear cups for travel and storage
Durable, impact resistant materials throughout
Replaceable ear and head cushions
COMFORT
Lightweight construction for use over long sessions
Adjustable low-pressure headband system
Ear and head cushions utilize advanced memory foam
Self-aligning yoke system ensures the best possible fit

Edited by silddx

The Sony MDR-XB700s are very good and I'm very happy with them.
Their low impedance is immediately obvious, because everything is WAY louder than with my 54 ohm AKGs.

They're very comforable, and bassy!

cheers everyone :)

[quote name='carl0s' post='1253185' date='Jun 1 2011, 09:29 PM']The Sony MDR-XB700s are very good and I'm very happy with them.
Their low impedance is immediately obvious, because everything is WAY louder than with my 54 ohm AKGs.

They're very comfortable, and bassy!

cheers everyone :)[/quote]

Good result. :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1250456' date='May 30 2011, 04:34 PM']I also have a POD X3 LIVE. I bought some new proper monitoring headphones a few weeks ago for my studio. A good few people are recommending KRK KNS 8400 so that's what I got. [url="http://www.krksys.com/krk-headphones/kns-8400.html"]http://www.krksys.com/krk-headphones/kns-8400.html[/url]

They are brilliant! [u]Plenty[/u] of bass, down to 5Hz, up to 23kHz and very low distortion. The bass gets better after a few days use, you have to run them in like most speakers.

£129 from Digital Village.[/quote]

So can you tell us how comfortable, loud, durable and clear they are, insted of just copy and posting from their website please?

What do you know about the cheaper version?

Edited by Kingy_who

[quote name='carl0s' post='1253201' date='Jun 1 2011, 09:40 PM']Yup. Thanks :-)

P.S. I ordered the GT-10B today too. Yay :lol:[/quote]
Got one of those and love it. Worth spending some time just tweaking the sounds, as it's quick and easy to do. Watch out for the bright LEDs - a bit eye searing in a dark room. :)

It's possible to get some really good distortion sounds but with plenty of proper bass end. The sub-octave works really well and some of the presets are just.... well, barking mad - you wouldn't believe it's a bass feeding in.
Also got some Klipsch in-ear phones. Excellent again. :)