Why become a member? ×

Status Question

Machines

Well dude loads of people have different basses and thats cool for them. Me personally I prefer to have one specific bass and the way it feels is most important. That's why i kept the grind all these years and am working round the original tone with new pickups, custom strings, pedals, amp and stuff.

Deep down I think you know what you wanna do though man. Could you part with the overwater?

I think it's at the point where nothing can beat it for playability, it feels like home. I need something that can match it in playability and also tone, I think the Status is not able to do the former here. What this has taught me though - is I DO like the Status and a 4 string headless custom order may be in suitable at some point in my future.

EDIT: This makes me dizzy, swap out for gold hardware and we have a keeper ! One day...

I have to say that I prefer the Status sound but it didn't completely blow the Overwater away like I expected it to. If this differences are that minor I'd go for the one which plays best.

BTW, I sold my Squier to the bloke you bought your Overwater from, great bloke and great player!

[quote name='Machines' post='1257071' date='Jun 5 2011, 07:21 AM']Ok have recorded 2 sound samples, one with my Overwater and one with the Status ! The differences between the 2 are quite pronounced:

Recordings are in the following format: Both pickups, neck pickup, bridge pickup, all EQ is flat and recorded direct into Audacity via my PC linein port so there is a bit of hiss which is not from the basses.

Your opinions please ! (of the tone, not my playing :))[/quote]

I rarely use either pickups soloed, you might get a more usable bridge pickup sound by blending in a small amount of neck pickup plus some bass boost. Similarly you can get a big fat tone by having both pickups at max or just favouring one pickup or the other a little.

String spacing you have three basic options: 16.5mm or 19mm on the 4 strings, or 18mm on the 5 and 6 strings. If you decide to have a custom Status built you could ask Rob if he can match the string spacing on the Overwater, he's pretty helpful and approachable.

And as I mentioned before, IMO the older ones without a truss rod (like yours) sound a bit more brittle and full on than the later ones with a truss rod. You might want to try a few and see how you get on, particularly before placing an order for a new one.

[quote name='Machines' post='1257082' date='Jun 5 2011, 08:01 AM']Yeah, but then the Overwater plays so so well, much better than the Status, think that may be string spacing ! I'll admit i'm very torn between the 2.[/quote]

Surely that's the key? No point having a great tone available if you don't like playing the bass that has it... A lot of it is what you get used to of course - and both are bespoke, handmade English instruments so where's the downside? :)

Interestingly, I prefer the tones from the Overwater in your two clips! :) Your Status just doesn't sound like my Status! Could be to do with the recording methods, playback speakers etc - but mine just sounds more "organic" than that one does. Yours just sounds a bit clinical and sterile to me. Also, and I might be reading more into it than is actually there, your playing sounds slightly more "tentative" on the Status, whereas you seem to relax more on the Overwater.

If that is indeed the case, surely that's a good enough reason to keep the O?

Ain't it strange how we all hear things differently.

I'm a recent convert to Status for reasons of practicality, but tonally and as a playing experience I much prefer Alleva-Coppolo. Having listened to your clips, I was immediately struck by how much more versatile and articulate the Status was than the Overwater.

I play strictly covers, so the one bass I am playing during any set has to be able to either sound like lots of different things or it has to be a P-bass.

Given a simple choice between which of your two basses to walk into a gig with, for me it would have to be the Status.

That is something I noticed when I got my first Status, they certainly demand a delicate touch to extract the best from them. They'll show up every imperfection in your playing and your touch just by virtue of their construction, every fluff is amplified and every rattle comes through crystal clear.

Settle into them and get used to it though, and you'll find that there are few basses which can sound as good.

See the below video for a very good recording of what a Status bass sounds like (and some incredible playing):

Listen to those sharply defined lows, the ever-present mids and the bright, musical highs. Each note is so well defined it can take some adjustment of your playing to get the best from them. By comparison, a wooden bass with old strings is a comfy pair of slippers! However Machines, I'm sure you'll find a suitable Status in future, although I suspect it won't be a Stealth! :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1258823' date='Jun 6 2011, 07:43 PM']That is something I noticed when I got my first Status, they certainly demand a delicate touch to extract the best from them. They'll show up every imperfection in your playing and your touch just by virtue of their construction, every fluff is amplified and every rattle comes through crystal clear.

Settle into them and get used to it though, and you'll find that there are few basses which can sound as good.

See the below video for a very good recording of what a Status bass sounds like (and some incredible playing):

Listen to those sharply defined lows, the ever-present mids and the bright, musical highs. Each note is so well defined it can take some adjustment of your playing to get the best from them. By comparison, a wooden bass with old strings is a comfy pair of slippers! However Machines, I'm sure you'll find a suitable Status in future, although I suspect it won't be a Stealth! :)[/quote]

He needs a hair scrunchie on that neck........ :)

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='crez5150' post='1258850' date='Jun 6 2011, 08:04 PM']He needs a hair scrunchie on that neck........ :)[/quote]

MB1. :D
...Bet he can't eat 3 shredded wheat! :)

I'd have kept the Status!...but i am biased! :lol:
John "Rhino" Edwards uses one! in that up and coming rock outfit Status Quo you know!

Edited by MB1

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1258823' date='Jun 6 2011, 07:43 PM']That is something I noticed when I got my first Status, they certainly demand a delicate touch to extract the best from them. They'll show up every imperfection in your playing and your touch just by virtue of their construction, every fluff is amplified and every rattle comes through crystal clear.

Listen to those sharply defined lows, the ever-present mids and the bright, musical highs. Each note is so well defined it can take some adjustment of your playing to get the best from them. By comparison, a wooden bass with old strings is a comfy pair of slippers! However Machines, I'm sure you'll find a suitable Status in future, although I suspect it won't be a Stealth! :)[/quote]
Yeah....yadda yadda yadda, but I bet he cant play Mustang Sally though.
(dons tin hat)