Why become a member? ×

New bass... do I now need a new user ID?

warwickhunt

[quote name='eude' post='143600' date='Feb 20 2008, 11:17 AM']That bass is gorgeous mate!
How's it compare having played Warwicks for so long?

Never seen a 4 string Bolin before either, very very nice.

Eude[/quote]

Totally different in almost every way from my Warwicks, which is what I was aiming for so that I literally won't be making any direct comparisons.

The main focus for getting this was to alleviate an ongoing shoulder problem. This is lighter than any Warwick and the first fret neck position is shifted a good 6"-9" back toward me so less stretch/strain (not that the Warwicks have a problem with this it's just my dicky shoulder).

The tone... well with a pair of EMGs, Fishman Piezo loaded bridge and a variable mid control, I'm kind of finding my way but I do have to say that it sounds phenominal with everything flat and me blending between the trad' pups and the piezo! It doesn't bite and growl like my Warwicks but with a bit of time I'll nail that as well :)

The BO neck and the singlecut have made me realise how little I use the dusty end of the fretboard these days. I've ventured up there to see what access is like and then come to the conclusion I rarely do much widdling up there now. If I were a full on top end surfer then I'd be better off with the unhindered access of the NT Warwick but I'm not so it isn't an issue.

A full review to follow but I'm not one for diving into eulogies about my gear until they've had a thorough running in period... I'm just about ready to write reviews of my Thunderfunk and Tech cab after 12 months; like I said I don't rush into heaping praise on things until I've road-tested for issues and foibles.

That's a grand bass indeed!

There's a 5er languishing in one of the Music shops here that I might have bought by now if it was fretless...

BTW used the Black Cat for the first time at my band's rehearsal and it blew everyone away with the sound (and the volume!). It's definitely a keeper. Thanks once again.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='143701' date='Feb 20 2008, 02:13 PM']That's a grand bass indeed!

There's a 5er languishing in one of the Music shops here that I might have bought by now if it was fretless...

BTW used the Black Cat for the first time at my band's rehearsal and it blew everyone away with the sound (and the volume!). It's definitely a keeper. Thanks once again.[/quote]

Glad the BC is working out for you, I knew the volume would be MORE than enough but tone can be so subjective. Are you getting warmth or overdrive/grind when you push the front end?

I rang The store in Nottingham that you are on about (courtesy of a pointer from a fellow BCer) and unfortunately it was a 5. I had a Bolin 5 (now owned and for sale by Owen) and it was what inspired me to get this 4. If anyone is in the market for a stunning 5 with a great tone then check out Owen's 5 it is well worth the money... £1000 less than the 5 in the shop in Nottingham (which is also a used model). That can't be a bad deal!

Oh my!

I love everything about how this bass looks... the singlecut, the top, the headstock. This is putting my oath not to buy any more basses this year under strain. The bass looks stunning.

*I am happy with the basses I have*

:)

You bringing this to the Bass Bash I assume?

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='143721' date='Feb 20 2008, 02:47 PM']Oh my!

I love everything about how this bass looks... the singlecut, the top, the headstock. This is putting my oath not to buy any more basses this year under strain. The bass looks stunning.

:)

You bringing this to the Bass Bash I assume?[/quote]

If a 5 is your bag look in the for sales, Owen's bass also has the piezo bridge and it is sweet! The locking tuners have been a bit of a revelation and soooo smooth, the Warwick's weren't slouches but these are a class above.

Unfortunately the Bass Bashes are a bit far for me to trek (Northumberland) and if I remember correctly I'm gigging that night.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='143729' date='Feb 20 2008, 02:52 PM']If a 5 is your bag look in the for sales, Owen's bass also has the piezo bridge and it is sweet! The locking tuners have been a bit of a revelation and soooo smooth, the Warwick's weren't slouches but these are a class above.

Unfortunately the Bass Bashes are a bit far for me to trek (Northumberland) and if I remember correctly I'm gigging that night.[/quote]

I just used that pic to show off the headstock... If I were to buy one, it would be a four. So lemme know if and when you're sick and tired of it. lol :)

A shame you can't make the bash mate. Would have loved to have a quick nosey around it.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='143757' date='Feb 20 2008, 03:25 PM']John, even tho thats been left in the washer with several Leprachauns....

Its bl88dy lovely!

Nice choice!

PS dad loved his pressie thanks :)[/quote]

Cheers mate.

First choice would have been amber but impossible to source with 2 pups and the piezo... unless I commissioned Mr Bolin to make one (that's the only way to get a brand new one now though there are a few NOS 4s & 5s with single pup kicking about).

The Leatherman CRUNCH was a good choice and a bit different from the usual plier equipped tools. I'm glad I'm getting something right these days!

Very nice - I remember when Eubassix was selling a 4 string in a dark wood colour which I looked at. There is something really classy and different about these basses. I didn't know they offered Piezo bridges too. Fantastic - looking forward to hearing some samples if you are able?

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='143884' date='Feb 20 2008, 06:14 PM']Very nice - I remember when Eubassix was selling a 4 string in a dark wood colour which I looked at. There is something really classy and different about these basses. I didn't know they offered Piezo bridges too. Fantastic - [b]looking forward to hearing some samples if you are able[/b]?

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Now you know I will if I can but you guys are going to be plagued to death guiding my through it :)

The controls looked intimidating at first but you basically have a Volume, Bass+Treble (stacked) Variable Mid (stacked - cut and boost and sweepable) and a pan pot for the 2 EMGs; you then have a Volume and cut and boost Treble for the Piezo. Only thing so far that I would have liked was a master volume as you have to turn the two volumes down to mute the output completely.