Why become a member? ×

Only in America...

RayFW

I know I shouldn't make sweeping generalisations but this thread over at TB gives an interesting insight into the way some of our Yankee cousins think:
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407285"]Shotguns, Turkeys and Fender amps[/url]
You've gotta laugh. :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='142927' date='Feb 19 2008, 09:48 AM']I REALLY hope this one is a joke.....
[font="Arial"]
[i]Buy shotgun.
Go to dude selling amp.
Get amp for free.[
????[/i]
PROFIT![/font][/quote]

LOL - you can't fault the logic!

[quote name='Doc B' post='142881' date='Feb 19 2008, 08:39 AM']LOL - Thanks for posting that - It has an almost surreal quality on this side of the Atlantic.

Nice one.[/quote]

What's scary are the almost diametrically opposed viewpoints combined with useful comments about;

Turkeys
Fender Amps
Remington Pump-action shotguns

plus some good (and bad) logic and some off-the-wall US Humor (sic)
That, and the fact that it's nearly all well-intentioned "advice"!

Just be grateful it wasn't a similar question on the EB forum!

Gotta love them, though!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='143041' date='Feb 19 2008, 01:36 PM']surely an Uzi would be far more efficient?[/quote]

:) :huh: ;)

You've never shot an Uzi have you?

I'd be impressed if you could hit a turkey the size of a small car using an Uzi without a stock (making it like a small, auto, assualt weapon) and evem then its a horrid little gun..... Bit like a handgun version of the AK47.

Even if you were lucky enough to hit your xmas lunch with the Uzi, I'm afraid there would not be much left after hitting it with a 9mm PPC round.

[quote name='gypsymoth' post='143319' date='Feb 19 2008, 07:31 PM']what is truly odd is that it is headed "only in America", on a board from the country that created the shooting brake class of usually very expensive automobiles, designed around the use of a shotgun :)[/quote]

Here Here....

And whilst we're on the subject, the country whose aristocracy was responsible for alomst singlehandedly wiping out huge numbers of wonderful African creatures as 'trophies'..... creatures who were only killed so the assailant could brag about what a big animal he'd shot.....

The same country that started whaling.... the same country that started the slave trade.... the same country killed thousands of foriegn nationals whilst on (religious) crusades, to impose thier religion upon 'heathens'.....

:huh:

[quote name='The Burpster' post='143354' date='Feb 19 2008, 08:35 PM']Here Here....

And whilst we're on the subject, the country whose aristocracy was responsible for alomst singlehandedly wiping out huge numbers of wonderful African creatures as 'trophies'..... creatures who were only killed so the assailant could brag about what a big animal he'd shot.....

The same country that started whaling.... the same country that started the slave trade.... the same country killed thousands of foriegn nationals whilst on (religious) crusades, to impose thier religion upon 'heathens'.....

:huh:[/quote]

You've missed the point of the OP by such a margin that even Tom Tom couldn't help you find it again. :)

You might also want to check your knowledge of history.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='143354' date='Feb 19 2008, 08:35 PM']Here Here....

:)[/quote]

ALMOST wiped them out, need i remind you, who wiped out the buffalo? who crushed an entire race of PEOPLE because they took up to much space?
History seems to recall america being all up for slavery when it happened.
And yes we killed thousands of foreign nationals but then again america dropped napalm, phosphorus and agent orange on inocent women and children aswell as killing thousands of vietnamese and korean people.
Let us not forget also that america was the country that 'tested' a nuclear bomb on a nation, TWICE.

I really don't want to get in a pissing match on the blatantly anti-American stuff here (some people don't care much about reality, the history of WWII, or the atrocities which occurred after we left S.E. Asia).

so let's take a step back, laugh at cheap American shotguns, and expensive British ones with silver inlays and Rolls Royce self-propelled cases.

[quote name='gypsymoth' post='143462' date='Feb 19 2008, 11:17 PM']I really don't want to get in a pissing match on the blatantly anti-American stuff here (some people don't care much about reality, the history of WWII, or the atrocities which occurred after we left S.E. Asia).

so let's take a step back, laugh at cheap American shotguns, and expensive British ones with silver inlays and Rolls Royce self-propelled cases.[/quote]
This wasn't intended as a anti American thread. I thought the original TB thread was an amusing example of the difference in cultures. Nothing more.
Nothing to do with WWII or other seemingly inferred sleights.

Edited by rayfw

And whilst we're on the subject, the country whose aristocracy was responsible for alomst singlehandedly wiping out huge numbers of wonderful African creatures as 'trophies'..... creatures who were only killed so the assailant could brag about what a big animal he'd shot.....[/quote]

Heh, i've never thought about this before, but, you'd think they would brag about the smaller animals, as they're harder to hit! Most amusing.

I'm not quite sure what's stranger - that thread or that I had just been wandering through wikipedia ending up here:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Ashdown"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Ashdown[/url]

Having started here:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun[/url]

Alex

P.S. I can't believe Americans go hunting with pump action shotguns, have they no manners?!

your wiki pedi paddy article does a great job of explaining the ignorance of the current generation.

yes, a proper shot gun breaks, and has two barrels. over under is rather nice. more efficeient designs, while effective, are somewhat vulgar. a brace of big ol' goose guns is something to hear.