Why become a member? ×

Flightcase or Padded case

citymariner

Now I know that if money and weight were not an issue a flight case it the way to go.

I want to get some kind of protection for my Klystron 500.

Looking at flight cases I'm looking at ~£150 and adding 10kg weight

Looking at padded cases I'm looking at ~£50 and adding 2kg (or probably less)

This head is my first 'high end' one and I want to look after it. Ok, it's valve is only in the preamp but I do see this amp as more delicate compared to my mag heads. The shape of the Klystron with its angled front also leaves it open to having the knobs knocked off it.

I do pub gigs weekly so can cover the cost very quickly.

What would you do?
Is a flight case overkill?
Will a padded case offer enough protection?

Do you recommend any companies for flight cases/ padded cases?

Thanks in advance

Edited by citymariner

A soft shell hard case is my preference. Have used these in the past with lots of basses, and my Vigier came with a custom fit teardrop shape one - much lighter than a hard case and offer more protection than a softcase!

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockcase_rc20805b.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockcase_rc20805b.htm[/url]

ped

[quote name='ped' post='1242306' date='May 23 2011, 09:42 PM']A soft shell hard case is my preference. Have used these in the past with lots of basses, and my Vigier came with a custom fit teardrop shape one - much lighter than a hard case and offer more protection than a softcase!

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockcase_rc20805b.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockcase_rc20805b.htm[/url]

ped[/quote]

Can you get them for bass heads as well as that looks like a case for a guitar not for the amp head?

Ah booger I thought the Klystron was that Ashdown bass, for some reason.

I'm sure you can get them made to fit. There's a place near my parents in Witney who were going to make one for my Vbass pedal. I'll see if I can find the link.

This is an example I have seen:

[url="http://www.flightcasefactory.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=757"]http://www.flightcasefactory.co.uk/product...products_id=757[/url]

also

[url="http://www.swanflight.com/ashdown-klystron-500-bass-head-flightcase.html"]http://www.swanflight.com/ashdown-klystron...flightcase.html[/url]

[quote name='ped' post='1242343' date='May 23 2011, 10:02 PM']Here they are. I'm sure there are others out there, too.

[url="http://www.grcases.co.uk/"]http://www.grcases.co.uk/[/url]

ped

EDIT: Colin (IIRC) said he no longer owns those shorts FYI[/quote]

Whats the difference between the hard and semi flight cases? - I can't find on the site (without contacting them) the difference between them.

Thanks for the links by the way.

No worries. The hard cases have the wood paneling with aluminum edges and corners, big, heavy and possibly overkill. Semi hard cases are formed out of high density polystyrene which is then foam lined and/or with felt etc to make them rigid but light. They could snap I guess if subjected to extreme pressure but they offer massive protection and rigidity for a fraction of the price and weight. I haven't ever had any problems with them.

getting one made for the head might be a difficulty but I'm sure there are places selling standard sized ones which you could further pad out as necessary to fit if you don't want to go the custom route.

ped

Depends on the hardcase, on the link you posted there's actually a brand called hardcase. They're actually a plastic sort of material, really strong and quite light. I know a couple of people who use them and have taken them all over the world.

Personally I'd go for a rack, I'm in the process of getting my Trace into a rack case, just need to sort some ears for it.

From a practical point of view, flight cases need to be stowed somewhere once you've taken the contents from it.
You might get lucky and find a space on the side of the stage you can use, but my experience is that you have to do a load of repeat visits to the van to get them out of the way (and then bring them all back in after the gig).
So, potentially you might be hefting that flight case about 4 times per gig!

The advantage of using a rack is that the kit is permanantly housed in it and you just stick it on top of your speaker(s), take the front and rear covers off and away you go. :)

I've never tried out the padded case type ones but to my mind they only provide scuff protection - drop it and you're going to get damage.

I've always used those plastic racks with no problems at all but last year decided to try out a more traditional wooden\aluminium type one.

The plastic ones still look good after nearly 6 years, but the wooden one looks tatty already... :)

Over the years I've hand many different cases from flight cases to SKB cases to rack cases etc. No matter what, you definately want to protect your gear, if your head can be rack cased, than that is the most practical, not the most expensive and protective way to go... IMO...you could try the flightcase warehouse, I think that they do second hand/ reconditioned cases...

Cheers

Andrew

I agree with the rack mounting but I went for the Klystron because it also has great stage presence over the EVOIII!

I don't know how easy it would be to rack also as it has a sloping front panel.

There is a rack mount version out there. Adam Clayton uses it from U2.

The flight case varieties I've seen that could work are:

Live - the front and back come of like in a rack yet it is still in a flight case
Top off - Amp stays sat in the the tray and just have to find somewhere to stow the lid. I guess I could stick a Zildjian sticker on it and tell the drummer its a cymbal...

Here is a picture of the Klystron I've just taken from my phone to show you what I mean about it rack-ability:

[attachment=80859:IMG_0533.JPG]

i think it depends what you are doing, gigging now and then in your car then a padded case is good enough but for anything more than that get it flight cased, you cant expect it to get thrown around in the back of a van and not get damaged

i use swanflight they are awesome :)

I got this same 500 head.
I've ordered a flighcase from www.flightcase.co.uk.
They're doing some with slightly scratched boards for around 110 quids!
Incidentally, i've ordered flightcases from Bob at flightcase uk for the full rig for around £480!

If you're looking at back-of-van use only, then there is a third way... an XL-size plastic toolbox (Stanley, etc) with hinged lid, metal clip fasteners and foldaway handles on top. Buy one (less than £25 new or haunt the local car boot), throw away the tool tray, chuck a few bits of foam inside, add some rock'n'roll stickers on the outside if you feel like it, job done.

Here's my mini version , aka the Beggar's Flightcase, with Orange Terror, all cables, various spares, tuner... the box cost £11.

Edited by KK Jale

Live in cases are a good option, if you don't mind the bulk, cos the amps really well protected and you don't have to take it to bits - and just unclip the front&back for gigs. You can get them for any make of amp. I got a couple of spaces added for rack toys (yup, should have got a rack amp to start with :) ). Its quite heavy so not for the lightweight folk!. I'd guess the case + rack stuff weighs about the same as the amp on its own. Looks cool, so thats ok.

[attachment=80923:z2.jpg]

[quote name='citymariner' post='1247788' date='May 28 2011, 12:31 AM']I think I'm going to flight case the head.[/quote]
I've got the SKB case for my Hiwatt head; it was a bit hard to get at the time because SKB didn't have a UK distributor. Mine came from Thomann & was around £130. Lightweight, with pull-out handle & wheels; you could buy extra foam to pad up the slant front on yours.

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1247802' date='May 28 2011, 12:48 AM']I've got the SKB case for my Hiwatt head; it was a bit hard to get at the time because SKB didn't have a UK distributor. Mine came from Thomann & was around £130. Lightweight, with pull-out handle & wheels; you could buy extra foam to pad up the slant front on yours.[/quote]

Which case is it that you have got? Is it Hiwatt specific?

Do you know any Chippies? The materials needed to build a flightcase should only set you back around £40-50 if you ask for offcuts in your local hardware. Just get the dimensions you need and have someone build it for you. The aluminium guards and handle are easy enough to do yourself.
Going down this route means you can build a case with rack features, ie. access to the speaker and power outputs through a hinged rear panel and a removable front panel.

[quote name='Mog' post='1249145' date='May 29 2011, 01:39 PM']Do you know any Chippies? The materials needed to build a flightcase should only set you back around £40-50 if you ask for offcuts in your local hardware. Just get the dimensions you need and have someone build it for you. The aluminium guards and handle are easy enough to do yourself.
Going down this route means you can build a case with rack features, ie. access to the speaker and power outputs through a hinged rear panel and a removable front panel.[/quote]

I have considered this. I'm pretty handy with bits of tree but I want to keep the weight down. The FC's I've been looking at have those toughened plastic sides and all the aluminium trimmings/ foam innners keeping the weight down and also supplying a guarantee on workmanship etc.

Those butterfly catches and alu trim don't come that cheap either.

• 2 weeks later...

Going back over the years my amp history runs something like
[list]
[*]Selmer T&B - why worry sling it in the van
[*]Marshall Superbass 100 - do I really want to add MORE weight, it only cost £50 secondhand IIRC, sling it in the van
[*]Carlsbro 1x15 combo - it's a combo (and a pretty cheap & cheerful one at that) sling it in the boot with its plastic cover / leave it in the band bus
[*]Laney 4x10 combo - ditto
[*]GK MB150 combo - ditto (though not the cheap & cheerful!)
[*]TE GP11 4x10 combo - ditto
[*]TE 2x10 combo - got a good padded cover, in the boot
[*]MB CMD121H - Roqsolid cover, in the boot
[*]MB LM Tube - Gigskinz small mixer bag & on the back seat
[/list]
Despite some of the comments above all have been bought with my money and I have always tried to look after them, though the times when we had a band bus & all the gear lived in a cage in the back, or we went to gigs in the band van rather than a convoy of cars they probably saw a bit more of a hard time

End of the day I suppose it depends if you are your own roadie/driver and so will treat it with kid gloves, or you're relying on someone else humping the gear for you with perhaps less interest/investment in your pride & joy

[quote name='Mog' post='1249145' date='May 29 2011, 12:39 PM']Do you know any Chippies? The materials needed to build a flightcase should only set you back around £40-50 if you ask for offcuts in your local hardware. Just get the dimensions you need and have someone build it for you. The aluminium guards and handle are easy enough to do yourself.
Going down this route means you can build a case with rack features, ie. access to the speaker and power outputs through a hinged rear panel and a removable front panel.[/quote]

Have you ever actually tried to do this??? If you have, you'll know that the aluminium hardward doesn't come cheap, and that using offcuts will give you a less than pro looking flightcase. You'll also more likely end up with one that you have to fit the lids on ever so carefully to make them actually line up. Buy a professionally made one and, once you've cried about the price, it'll just work and go on working without a second thought from you!

In my view; the case for cases all depends...

If you've got a van, somewhere to store the empty cases, and a busy schedule, then flightcases are the way to go.

However, if it's just your own motor, and it's more of a modest gigging schedule, then nothing, or softcases are the way to go.

I use soft covers for my active PA cabs, which are perfect, as I can fit a load of them quite safely & comfortably on the back seat of my car, alloing for the mixer in the front seat and my bass gear & cables & stuff in the boot. I did get a flightcase for 2 of my 10" monitor cabs (included on the ebay deal). It's a top notch flight case, but more than doubles the weight, and takes up the entire boot just for the two cabs, where I'd normally get 6 on the back seat with room to spare!

Just like to say thanks to all the posts.

I've decided to go down the flight case route and have opted for a live-in case.

Reasons:

I want maximum protection for gear and having the money to go down any route as helped me achieve this
Weight - ok i've had added a few kgs BUT i've ensured i've selecged polycarb sides rather than thick ply.
accessibility and space - live in means that I don't have to worry about where to put the lid I can slide two thin sides next to my amp no probs
People who handle my gear - we all chip in to move gear. I go through doors like a snail to stop catching what i'm holding - others are not so careful.

My cabs are going to have roqsolid covers with the speaker pouch added.