Why become a member? ×

Need example newspaper articles

Erm... maybe I should have been clearer. Promoter phones and says "I'm putting an article in the local paper about you for Friday night's gig. Send me some words". That kind of thing :) Although, to be fair, yours might be better!!

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='molan' post='1240846' date='May 22 2011, 09:17 PM']You really need to find out how many words are required - makes a huge difference to how you approach anything like this.[/quote]

Won't be many, it'll just be a glorified add in the free sheet.

Aren't these things usually along the lines of "local band making huge strides towards pop stardom" and a list of achievements including a 3 week residency at the Dog & Duck, with plans to record an EP?

At least that always seems to be the case whenever I've seen one of these articles in a local rag.

[quote name='Musky' post='1240888' date='May 22 2011, 09:44 PM']Aren't these things usually along the lines of "local band making huge strides towards pop stardom" and a list of achievements including a 3 week residency at the Dog & Duck, with plans to record an EP?

At least that always seems to be the case whenever I've seen one of these articles in a local rag.[/quote]

Perhaps if we were 17 and play originals. But we're all fat, bald guys in our 40s playing bloody Oasis and Kasabian covers to drunks. Perhaps that what I should put :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1240891' date='May 22 2011, 09:49 PM']Perhaps if we were 17 and play originals. But we're all fat, bald guys in our 40s playing bloody Oasis and Kasabian covers to drunks. Perhaps that what I should put :)[/quote]
It doesn't really seem to make much difference. Presumably you've wowing audiences from Glasgow to errr... Dumbarton? :)

Why not look at the website from your local paper - I'm sure they'll have plenty of examples up there.

[quote name='Musky' post='1240913' date='May 22 2011, 10:02 PM']It doesn't really seem to make much difference. Presumably you've wowing audiences from Glasgow to errr... Dumbarton? :)

Why not look at the website from your local paper - I'm sure they'll have plenty of examples up there.[/quote]

It's Cumbernauld. If we get out alive it'll be a good night :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1240958' date='May 22 2011, 10:25 PM']If you are playing "whats it called, Cumbernauld" is it the Twa Corries (think thats what it called) in the middle of Junkie bandit country? I`ve heard that they are having rock nights again.

Jez[/quote]

Twa Corbies. Errrrr...... maybe.... what about it?

The last time we played a place in Cumbernauld we were advised to bring somebody along to keep an eye on the cars. Smashin'

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1240891' date='May 22 2011, 09:49 PM']But we're all fat, bald guys in our 40s playing bloody Oasis and Kasabian covers to drunks. Perhaps that what I should put :)[/quote]
Say that you're thinking of channging your name to OAPsis, looking to the future.

THEY'RE the greatest band in Cumbernauld -- probably.

(Your band name) are set to rock the (pub name) tonight (or day/date) from (start time) with a range of hard-hitting covers from Oasis to Kasabian.

They've previously sent crowds wild in ... (a paragraph about your past gigs and any locally known previous bands you've been in).

Frontman (your singer's name) said: "We really aim to give Cumbernauld pub-goers a great night out -- plus it's free to get in. So how can you lose? blah, blah, blah"

And that's about it. Keep it short -- four or five paragraphs with some quotes. Supply a photo by email if you've got one.

PM me what you've written if you want me to have a look through it before it goes. :)

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1241126' date='May 23 2011, 06:37 AM']I've given up.... my hearts not in it. He (the pub owner) got a decent photo and some factual information. He's not paying us enough to do all the work :)[/quote]

That's the spirit, you'll have people flocking from yards around :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1241126' date='May 23 2011, 06:37 AM']I've given up.... my hearts not in it. He (the pub owner) got a decent photo and some factual information. He's not paying us enough to do all the work :)[/quote]

Your gettin paid for it? Wow!!

I`d check the notes to make sure the ink has dried on them before spending them :)

Jez

Well, I think you've got the basis of a stonking article right here:

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1240792' date='May 22 2011, 08:50 PM']We're just a local pub covers band - nothing exciting[/quote]

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1240891' date='May 22 2011, 09:49 PM']we're all fat, bald guys in our 40s playing bloody Oasis and Kasabian covers to drunks.[/quote]

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1240942' date='May 22 2011, 10:18 PM']If we get out alive it'll be a good night[/quote]

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1241126' date='May 23 2011, 06:37 AM']I've given up.... my hearts not in it.[/quote]

:)

Edited by Earbrass