Why become a member? ×

Epiphone TB Pro

dc2009

In the same vein as the Gibson thread running at the moment, I'm keen to replace the stock epi pickups in my TB-pro (the pro ones are active!).

Bartolini have this (scroll down): [url="http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s4.htm"]http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s4.htm[/url] though it says old thunderbird style, which is weird, because they look identical to the shape of my current ones.

And EMG say this: [url="http://www.emgpickups.com/products/category/260/2"]http://www.emgpickups.com/products/category/260/2[/url] where the model shown has the screws in the wrong place, but they list 5 active models for TBs also, though I can not find any links to them, their details or their screw configs.

So which ones will fit my bass, and where the hell do you find the details for those other EMG's?

Thanks
Dan

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1238222' date='May 20 2011, 02:31 PM']Are you sure the pickups are active, and not just have a preamp? (if the pickups are active, there will be a power lead going from the battery to them)[/quote]

It's an active bass, so more than likely the pickups are passive I guess?

[quote name='Machines' post='1238295' date='May 20 2011, 03:40 PM']I can't think of any basses that actually do have active pickups, just preamps.[/quote]

Any bass fitted with EMGs (plain or X series not Select/HZ)? :)

[quote name='Machines' post='1238295' date='May 20 2011, 03:40 PM']I can't think of any basses that actually do have active pickups, just preamps.

Why do you want to change them anyway ?[/quote]

The stock epiphone ones are, well, average sounding. I know the two basses don't compare, but when I plug my warwick into my rig, the sounds I can get are infinitely better than on the TB, but the frontman of my band prefers me to play the TB live, and I agree that it fits our band's image a lot better than the 'vette. I thought some bartolinis (whose soapbars sound so great in my dean), or some EMGs might give this bass that extra oomph it needs, especially seeing as I can't afford a gibson, and I will be playing it live most weeks from july, it is something I'd seriously like to do!

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1238456' date='May 20 2011, 05:31 PM']if the pickup route is the same as the standard Epi Thunderbird then EMG 35DCs will fit straight in. You'll have a bit of a gap top and bottom but they fit really well with no modification[/quote]

Screws are in the wrong place though, the bartolini link in my original post has them right

They're only wee screws and don't even require a pilot hole to screw them in so i wouldn't worry about that - just position them straight, start the first screw just past the point where it bites then fire the next one in the same and then tighten. Its really that easy - nothing to worry about

If you're talking about the different Thunderbird models then the standard Thunderbird as far as I know has AlNiCo pickups, the Goth has ceramic, The NIkki Sixx ones are probably laced with cocaine and the Pro has the T-Pro™ bass humbuckers, whatever that involves.

if you're talking about something else then I'm lost :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1239367' date='May 21 2011, 02:57 PM']If you're talking about the different Thunderbird models then the standard Thunderbird as far as I know has AlNiCo pickups, the Goth has ceramic, The NIkki Sixx ones are probably laced with cocaine and the Pro has the T-Pro™ bass humbuckers, whatever that involves.

if you're talking about something else then I'm lost :)[/quote]

Was talking about EMGs different models, as listed in the link in my original post

[quote name='Machines' post='1239387' date='May 21 2011, 03:21 PM']The standard Epi T-Bird (non-pro) pickups are quite high output IMO, I don't think changing them would be of huge benefit - especially considering the cost of the pickups compared to the cost of the bass.[/quote]

The pro ones are meant to be different, though not sure of the differences. I had considered cost of pups vs. that of the bass, but given I'm not going to be affording a gibson any time soon, I would like to improve the TB pro as she will be my main gigging bass for a long time to come. Shame Warwick can't make me a TB copy in warwick's tonewoods, that would be yummy.

I'll take a guess that the TBP is a precision pickup in a Thunderbird shaped housing, the TBJ will be similar but a jazz inside, the TBDC will be similar to the 35DC, ditto for the TBCS = 35CS. The TBTW allows you to switch between a CS humbucker and a Jazz.

Hi, been wondering this myself-would a pick up change make a good difference or the pre amp.It might be the pick ups are fine and a pre amp is the way to go or maybe the pre amp is fine and the pick ups have to take a walk.
Would it make a big difference or best left alone and get on with it.
Sometimes what you hear in your head is a sound that is impossible to recreate.
I,ve found in the past that the in the mix sound which is killer if you solo it on the desk ,you would not believe what it,s like.I have done this with guitar players and most of them haven,t taken it on board and reverted to their all top and massive bottom sound and wrecked the recording sonically.
It is a hard one to get right a sound that pleases you when playing alone and one that works when full band.The old maxim rings clear-you can,t polish a t%$d unless you have a tin of turdoshine which isn,t as good as it says on the tin.
Isn,t it fun the world of perfect sound,keeps us goin for a lifetime.
Moral is go for the in the mix sound and maximise what you,ve got.
Hope this makes sense .

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1240099' date='May 22 2011, 10:39 AM']I'll take a guess that the TBP is a precision pickup in a Thunderbird shaped housing, the TBJ will be similar but a jazz inside, the TBDC will be similar to the 35DC, ditto for the TBCS = 35CS. The TBTW allows you to switch between a CS humbucker and a Jazz.[/quote]

Tyvm - so if I got say, the TBDC at the bridge, and the TBTW at the neck, I could mix between hb/hb (where each humbucker is a different type) and hb/j, using the blend control?

That sounds like a pretty versatile setup!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1240181' date='May 22 2011, 11:47 AM']The stock pickups sound good to me on my pro-v - with the eq flat on on the bass & LMII, just tweaking the tone with the amp's VLE & VPF controls. But then again I use flatwounds & probably have cloth ears.[/quote]

Mine are rounds, guess I could try some flats on it. Not a fan of those markbass heads one bit I'm afraid, though I have my bass eq flat and tend to use the stuff on my trace.

They sound alright imo, but could be better, you know.

I was just wondering if anybody had done a pick up/pre amp thing but the stock ones do the job and don,t sound shabby.
I have noticed they are quiet picky on strings though.It sounded ok on flats but better with rounds more zing.
The bridge is a massive improvement on the stock gibson/epiphone one which I haven,t heard anyone comment on.
I love the fact that it,s active cause Gibson doesn,t do active on a bird.Another big factor is the construction of the neck which hopefully will put to bed the broken headstock bogey that Gibsons have.