Why become a member? ×

Saxophone Bass Drums Trios

Bilbo

There is something about the intimacy of a saxophone/bass/drums trio that brings out the best in people. A line-up I have started working with recently, it gives the bass player (and drummer) so much space and freedom to move. I have been listening to such trios for many years but have recently started to focus in a little more on the potential of this line up. It places real demands on the horn (no sitting back whilst the piano solos) and can really separate the men from the boys, as it were, but, when it comes together, it’s a great sound.

Some recommendations for you to explore:

Joe Henderson ([b]Ron Carter[/b]/Al Foster) - The State of the Tenor Vol. 1 & 2

Sonny Rollins ([b]Oscar Pettiford[/b])/Max Roach – The Freedom Suite

[b]Scott Colley[/b]/Chris Potter/Bill Stewart – This Place and The Magic Line

[b]Dave Holland[/b] (Steve Coleman/Jack DeJohnette) – Triplicate

[b]Steve Swallow[/b]/Lee Konitz/Paul Motian – Three Guys

[b]Steve Swallow[/b]/ Dave Liebman/Adam Nussbaum – We Three

[b]Steve Swallow[/b]/Chris Potter/Adam Nussbaum – Damaged In Transit

Joe Lovan0/[b]Dave Holland[/b]/Elvin Jones – Trio Fascination Edition One & Flights Of Fancy Trio Fascination Edition Two

Kenny Garrett/[b]Kiyoshi Kitagawa or Charnett Moffett[/b]/Brian Blade - Triology

Branford Marsalis/[b]Robert Hurst[/b]/Jeff Watts (monster trio)– The Dark Keys, Bloomington, The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born, Trio Jeepy (a favourite)

Thanks again for another great list, really helpfull for us who are still finding our way and discovering Jazz. Do you think you could do a trio list of Piano or keys/Bass/Drums as this would be really interesting for me. The list does not have to be whats the best but more of a recommended for people getting into that sort of thing. Oh and more traditional the better if that makes sense.

Edited by Linus27

Any kind of wind instrument with bass and drums in trio format is compelling listening. Saxophone is perhaps the obvious choice as it can be the more expressive of the wind family - in the right hands of course. But other wind instruments bring a whole new flavour which shouldn't be over looked.

Check out Charlie Haden's birthday concert's with Don Cherry on trumpet. One of the best live albums I've got. Or if you like flute, try out Don Li's Trigon. Trigon is modern improvisation making use of cyclic or repeating pattern improvisation. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it :)

[quote name='pete.young' post='1237557' date='May 19 2011, 10:54 PM']Back Door. Ron Aspery, Tony Hicks, and the living legend that is Colin Hodgkinson.

Doddy, tell me that the bass isn't a chordal instrument, in the right hands.[/quote]

It totally is and I do a lot of chordal playing myself,but in the majority of sax/bass/drums trios it isn't
used in this way,particularly on upright. It certainly works if the bass is doing a hybrid chord/walking thing,
like Todd Johnson or someone does,but generally I would rather hear a piano comping while the bass walks.
Of course,you could always get rid of the bass player and have a great organist who can comp the chords
whilst playing left hand bass.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1237557' date='May 19 2011, 10:54 PM']Back Door. Ron Aspery, Tony Hicks, and the living legend that is Colin Hodgkinson.

Doddy, tell me that the bass isn't a chordal instrument, in the right hands.[/quote]

+100 - surprised Bilbo left these guys out!

Isn't this line-up just a power trio really - one lead instrument, one bass instrument and drums??

Does it really matter if it is a lead guitar or a saxophone playing (mainly) single note solos? There is still that space to be filled out, the freedom to play more without encroaching on the other players and the need to get bigger tones than you would get away with if there were more instruments?

A different genre of music but basically the same thing as Cream of Van Halen playing instrumental passages!!

[quote name='peteb' post='1237844' date='May 20 2011, 10:22 AM']Does it really matter if it is a lead guitar or a saxophone playing (mainly) single note solos? There is still that space to be filled out, the freedom to play more without encroaching on the other players and the need to get bigger tones than you would get away with if there were more instruments?

A different genre of music but basically the same thing as Cream of Van Halen playing instrumental passages!![/quote]

Good point.

There are a lot of folk bands that tend to be single note melody instruments with rhythm section and no "chordist".

In all styles, I personally love playing bass with this set-up - you have so much more freedom/power to shape the music. Even in "fuller" bands everybody doesn't need to play all the time. 16 bars of, say, drums and singer, or bass and melody, can make a really refreshing variation

Thanks for the post Bilbo - will be checking out your list

This really is a damn hard thing to do well in jazz - the chordal complexities and longer sequences mean that you can easily trip over yourself, and the huge use of space and dynamic range means that you can find yourself found out pretty fast if you just try the usual 'walk in four with suspensions, chromatic leading notes, sevenths to thirds to blahdeblah' stuff.

At the same time, it is one of the best ways to ensure that you are thinking musically, and interacting with the other members of the group, rather than merely going through cliches and making the changes without thinking about the sounds.

And it's a good way of finding out if your sax player can do that overtone thing nicely, too.

Plus, the power/folk trio analogy leads on to a good way to practice with a guitarist -- stop them from comping chords! Make 'em get a couple of notes in here and there and do the same yourself. Play with one another's 'solos' and follow the old Weather Report mantra of 'never solo, but always improvise'.

nb.
Improvisation is not equal to Jerry Coker techniques of playing the same old licks in different situations - though, like the standard walking techniques, it's a good way of saving yourself if you mess up.

Don't fall into the old nonsense of dropping out for other people's solos, or doing some mindless comp figure while they noodle off on their favourite scale or phrase.

P.S.
I'm no hot sh*t either, so don't take my word for it!

P.P.S. (and slightly off topic)
Too right, Guyl, by the way, spotting the accordion, a present (featuring my favourite [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLj6eA0EdPU&feature=related"]Brasilian ewoks[/url], one of whom apparently punched out Miles Davis, when he wasn't tickling pigs onstage).

And another nice version, but with [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcsSPzr7ays"]a guitar[/url]

Bringing us back on topic; you could end up accompanying [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6fPdHuccA4"]this guy[/url] and a pandeiro player!

Edited by Bass Awkward