Why become a member? ×

John Paul Jones playing bass for Seasick Steve

Seasick Steve is a great introduction to a genre in my opinion. Although I have no idea what genre he sits in, he makes the NME kids listen to something different, which is great to broaden the mind.

If he takes a listener into another style of music, hats off to him :) They then move into more 'respected' blues...who knows. He's a fun guy though, I like it.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1235841' date='May 18 2011, 03:26 PM']I don't mind that he's not authentic, and he's not rubbish. It just puzzles me why he's so average, yet so revered....[/quote]

I'm pretty much of the same opinion about Oasis. QUite like steve though. 2nd best of last night's bunch after Charlie haden.

I've only just caught up with this performance on the i-player and speaking as a huge traditional blues fan,
I can only share my pleasure at yet another joyfully raucous, foot pumping, grin inducing show stealer from Seasick Steve and look forward to hearing the second track tonight. :)
As for JPJ, his bass sounds mighty fine on my system - (possible 'speaker issues' ?)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1234232' date='May 17 2011, 01:05 PM']Isn't he Country Blues for people who buy CDs from ASDA?[/quote]
:D That made me giggle. But whether you rate him or not, surely the inclusion of any blues artist, nestling on the racks alongside Scherzinger and Spears, should be something to celebrate?

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1234343' date='May 17 2011, 02:33 PM']I kind of admire SS's schtick and self-invention[/quote]

[quote name='Cyrene' post='1235212' date='May 18 2011, 08:50 AM']Seasick Steve is often revered on music forums on account of his authenticity, a characteristic which I find expertly affected ...[/quote]

..... as this secretly filmed footage of him leaving the 'Australian East Coast Blues and Roots Music Festival' clearly proves ...

:lol: I'm certainly not going to enter into a debate of any blues artist's authenticity on here though, as there are [i]many[/i] forums out there already where the discussion of this topic will rage for all eternity. :)

(Edit: for clip)

Edited by Sawtooth

[quote name='Sawtooth' post='1238822' date='May 20 2011, 11:08 PM']:) That made me giggle. But whether you rate him or not, surely the inclusion of any blues artist, nestling on the racks alongside Scherzinger and Spears, should be something to celebrate?[/quote]
In all honesty? I struggle. He's just so... 'meh'.

[quote name='gub' post='1236010' date='May 18 2011, 05:25 PM']i thought the drummer was great and made what would of otherwise been an average song into something more interseting ![/quote]
Agreed, though he reminded me of Animal from The Muppets.

Disappointed with JPJ. What was the point?

I have never heard of John Paul Jones (I like it under my rock, leave me be) and watched Jools just to see him. Was very disapoint because I couldn't hear him. Was thinking WTF is all the fuss about. Didn't realise it was a sound problem. Anyway don't set the pit bulls on to me I'll Google hi, and get up to speed. :)

I also like Sea Sick Steve and Animal on the drums. Good luck to them.

PS. Those guys who were suffereing from Polio were great too. Maybe they were playing the disability card a bit but they're playing the hand they've been dealt well. What did y'all think of them?

[quote name='cycrowave' post='1238874' date='May 21 2011, 12:31 AM']and he looks so out of place playing with those guys, like some estate agent buying his sunday paper and tossing the tramps a quid. and a bassline :)[/quote]

:) Here's a BassLine now f*** off before I call the Fuzz and no it's f***ing natural.

[quote name='Sawtooth' post='1238822' date='May 20 2011, 11:08 PM']I've only just caught up with this performance on the i-player and speaking as a huge traditional blues fan,
I can only share my pleasure at yet another joyfully raucous, foot pumping, grin inducing show stealer from Seasick Steve and look forward to hearing the second track tonight. :)
[b]As for JPJ, his bass sounds mighty fine on my system - (possible 'speaker issues' ?)[/b][/quote]

I had previously listened on my studio monitors and sub, but having just listened to the extended edition on the TV's speakers, I can fully agree that the bass sounded like a frogs fart in a pond full of wild geese :)

Edited by Sawtooth

[quote name='Sawtooth' post='1238903' date='May 21 2011, 01:45 AM']I had previously listened on my studio monitors and sub, but having just listened to the extended edition on the TV's speakers, I can fully agree that the bass sounded like a frogs fart in a pond full of wild geese :)[/quote]

Totally agree - just watching it now & after boosting my TV EQ to top bass there is still nothing resembling a bassline to be heard on the first Seasick Steve track. Made the Strokes sound great though!

B.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1234329' date='May 17 2011, 02:23 PM']I saw him in the 12 Bar club in Denmark St. years ago (didn't go to see him, he was supporting somebody else) & he was absolute f***ing rubbish.
Haven't seen or heard anything that has made me think otherwise to this day.[/quote]

From the interview with S3 and JPJ on Friday night, it sounds like it was the 12 Bar gig that JPJ first turned to first listen to him.

And the sound was mixed from the live show on Tuesday for the Friday show - sounded much better on my TV, but still not great.