Why become a member? ×

Bass Merchant - Fender Prices

Linus27

WOW, just noticed Bass Merchant has put the prices up of there Fender USA Standard Jazz Bass from £899 to £1048 :) I was looking to buy one of these on Monday but probably won't now as I have just been outpriced :) They were the best price I could find but now this seems the standard price everywhere. Has Fender put the prices up again causing everyone to hike the prices up? Crazy money and I was looking forward to getting one of these :lol:

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='1231863' date='May 15 2011, 12:44 PM']WOW, just noticed Bass Merchant has put the prices up of there Fender USA Standard Jazz Bass from £899 to £1048 :) I was looking to buy one of these on Monday but probably won't now as I have just been outpriced :) They were the best price I could find but now this seems the standard price everywhere. Has Fender put the prices up again causing everyone to hike the prices up. Crazy money and I was looking forward to getting one of these :lol:[/quote]

I have heard that fender have put price control on all of their products i.e. fender gretsch, squier, I think prices will be the same from all sources web shop or otherwise. many complaints have been lodged from the smaller dealers that they where priced out....... pants but there you go

[quote name='dan670844' post='1231870' date='May 15 2011, 12:49 PM']I have heard that fender have put price control on all of their products i.e. fender gretsch, squier, I think prices will be the same from all sources web shop or otherwise. many complaints have been lodged from the smaller dealers that they where priced out....... pants but there you go[/quote]

Ah that makes sense. Everywhere I looked the price was £1048 apart from Bass Merchant who had them at £899. I wanted to buy from Bass Merchant as they had the best price and they were really helpful with my MarkBass combo that I bought last month. Its a bit of a trek from Surrey to collect but the price made it worth it. If Fender had done this then there is no point me travelling over to Essex as I can get local not that I can afford to buy the bass now .... BLOODY FENDER :)

I'll have to give Bass Merchant a ring on Monday as suggested.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='neilb' post='1231879' date='May 15 2011, 12:56 PM']If your budget was £900, you can get far more bass for your money than a Fender.

...and I am a Fender US Std Jazz user!!!

Im in the market for a second bass soon and I will be looking at G&L, Cort or Tanglewater.[/quote]

Yeah true but I have really set my heart of a Fender Jazz. Plus I have been through lots of basses, including Lakland, Stingray, Warwick and I am most comfortable playing Fender basses.

[quote name='neilb' post='1231879' date='May 15 2011, 12:56 PM']Im in the market for a second bass soon and I will be looking at G&L, Cort or Tanglewater.[/quote]

That's funny, I've been looking at G&L stuff too. Quite likey the look of the L2000.

Noticed their website has a very tasty J Bass with some nice [url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/JB/enlarge.asp"]colour options[/url].

I know practically nothing about their playability though.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1231893' date='May 15 2011, 01:04 PM']Go second hand. Much more bang for buck![/quote]

True but at £899 for a new Fender USA Jazz Bass, you can't really go far wrong with that. I might have to now what with the new Fender prices :)

The same is happening my industry ( hifi And AV ), prices are being fixed on web site so there is a level playing field for both shops and web sites. I have found however if you call and make it clear you want to buy there and then you can haggle to gain a better price.

As someone who works in a shop that's a Fender dealer, I can reiterate that Fender have made every dealer keep to a certain price. It was great for people wanting to buy Fenders, but not for dealers like us, who were having to try and match silly prices.

They might do an in-store deal, but if they advertise online at a different price they face getting their dealership removed.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1232181' date='May 15 2011, 05:04 PM']As someone who works in a shop that's a Fender dealer, I can reiterate that Fender have made every dealer keep to a certain price. It was great for people wanting to buy Fenders, but not for dealers like us, who were having to try and match silly prices.

They might do an in-store deal, but if they advertise online at a different price they face getting their dealership removed.[/quote]

Thats a real shame, both for me and Bass Merchant. I have been waiting a few weeks to buy this bass and the weekend before I am ready to buy, the price has gone up out of my budget. Talk about bad timing. I lose out as I get no bass and Bass Merchant lose out as they lose my custom and I guess Fender lose out also. I will call them on Monday to see what they say.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1231899' date='May 15 2011, 01:08 PM']True but at £899 for a new Fender USA Jazz Bass, you can't really go far wrong with that. I might have to now what with the new Fender prices :)[/quote]

Something like this perhaps?

[url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm[/url]

[quote name='Linus27' post='1232194' date='May 15 2011, 05:14 PM']Thats a real shame, both for me and Bass Merchant. I have been waiting a few weeks to buy this bass and the weekend before I am ready to buy, the price has gone up out of my budget. Talk about bad timing. I lose out as I get no bass and Bass Merchant lose out as they lose my custom and I guess Fender lose out also. I will call them on Monday to see what they say.[/quote]

I think you are being maybe a bit too negative: reading between the lines people seem to be saying, ring the shop ( it was open today!) and try and negotiate a price. This price may be a lot closer to the old advertised price than you think!

You've nothing to lose!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='1232207' date='May 15 2011, 05:24 PM']I think you are being maybe a bit too negative: reading between the lines people seem to be saying, ring the shop ( it was open today!) and try and negotiate a price. This price may be a lot closer to the old advertised price than you think!

You've nothing to lose![/quote]

Yep, thats what I am doing on Monday, I can't do it today. Just interested in why the price hike which we have found out is due to Fender making every dealer keep to a certain price. My only negativity is I was going to buy on Monday at £899. I have been watching this bass, looking at the pictures for weeks, drooling as you do with GAS :) The day has arrived for me to buy and the price has gone up out of reach. That is my only negativity. However, I will be calling on Monday so it may not all be bad :)

[quote name='pete.young' post='1232204' date='May 15 2011, 05:19 PM']Something like this perhaps?

[url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm[/url][/quote]

Nice looking bass. I think if I was going to get a Jap Fender I would get a 75RI with the block inlays. Still might be an option to do that. They do a gorgeous blue with matching headstock.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1231863' date='May 15 2011, 12:44 PM']WOW, just noticed Bass Merchant has put the prices up of there Fender USA Standard Jazz Bass from £899 to £1048 :) I was looking to buy one of these on Monday but probably won't now as I have just been outpriced :) They were the best price I could find but now this seems the standard price everywhere. Has Fender put the prices up again causing everyone to hike the prices up? Crazy money and I was looking forward to getting one of these :lol:[/quote]
That is still a decent price, Michael.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1232181' date='May 15 2011, 05:04 PM']As someone who works in a shop that's a Fender dealer, I can reiterate that Fender have made every dealer keep to a certain price. It was great for people wanting to buy Fenders, but not for dealers like us, who were having to try and match silly prices.

They might do an in-store deal, but if they advertise online at a different price they face getting their dealership removed.[/quote]

I dont know about you Pete but we really dont make much on the Fenders we do sell so even an instore deal is pushing it.

Go second hand.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1232286' date='May 15 2011, 06:43 PM']I ordered one just before the hike but they are awaiting stock. I'm glad that for once I had some luck!

All the Fender stores have the same price...unfortunately.

Give Darren a call, I'm sure he can do a deal for you.[/quote]

Gareth, for you to start having good luck really is a worrying sign. Perhaps hell is beginning to freeze over and we are all doomed :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1232334' date='May 15 2011, 07:18 PM']Off topic but how did your combo work out for the gig?[/quote]

I was going to reply to your other thread but I will do it here as you asked :) The combo was great. I didn't really have any problems with my tone or volume but the onstage sound from the monitors was terrible (isn't it always) and so it was drowning me out a little. The soundman had all three acoustic guitars pumping through the monitors as well as the three vocals so I had a wall of noise hitting me. We did keep asking him to turn it down as the singers were finding it hard to pitch. Anyway, once we got that sorted it really sounded great. The other interesting point is I really don't like low mids and I have this turned down to 9 O' Clock. Everything else flat. The soundman said could I boost the mids as my tone was fat and deep and it could do with the mids increasing a bit to cut through. This was using a Precision. So I just turned the low mid up to 11 O' Clock and he was happy. It was great to have that control over the EQ. It was also nice that its so portable. One trip into the venue and one trip out both times with bass, bag and combo.

Overall I am very happy with it. I am going to try a few other basses through it though, maybe a Jazz (if I get one) and an acoustic bass which from a band image would be the best bass to use so I will report back on them. We have some more gigs booked up in the next few months so I will keep you posted.