Why become a member? ×

Basswood basses

bubinga5

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1222996' date='May 7 2011, 11:19 AM']I saw a couple of bands last night. Both bands using the same amp, and from looking at the changeover, the same settings on the amp.

First bassist used a Fender Aerodyne Jazz (basswood), second bassist used a Mex Fender Precision (alder).

The Aerodyne was much "middier" with less defined lows, that the Mex.

If equating it to a graphic equaliser, it sounded as if someone had bottomed the lowest frequency slider. This could of course be down to the Aerodyne guy using the Jazz pickup as well however.[/quote]

I think the fact that it's two different players using two different instruments has a lot more to do with it than
what woods they are made from.
Under normal playing conditions,I don't think anyone can hear any difference between body woods-it's not
like we're talking about an acoustic instrument.Once you've run the signal through whatever pickups,preamps,
pedals and amps,the chances of identifying the difference in body woods is pretty much nil. You can take a guess,
based on previous knowledge,but that's really it.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1223028' date='May 7 2011, 11:49 AM']That'd make a pretty effing huge difference yes![/quote]
Must admit, I don`t know if he was using the Jazz pickup though - just that the basswood bass sounded far middier, and less bassy than the alder one.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1223520' date='May 7 2011, 06:30 PM']Must admit, I don`t know if he was using the Jazz pickup though - just that the basswood bass sounded far middier, and less bassy than the alder one.[/quote]

That may be the case, but it's almost impossible to say that it was 'middier' (even a word?) because of the wood it's made from.

It could be strings, amp, preamp, effects, player's technique (or lack of) etc etc etc etc like Doddy has mentioned. Much more likely to be one of those things than the kind of wood hidden under paint and lacquer.

Edited by skej21

I've generally found swamp ash to sound kind of "scooped" with a a little bump in the high mids.

Basswood cuts through the mix well as it is nice and flat but i find something about it helps it cut, and it has alot of clarity in the low end (and this is great for the lower registers)

You probably could hear the differences in the woods if it was very tightly regulated as in EVERYTHING else the same but it would only be a minimal difference anyway.

I always think as woods as a canvas, it doesn't define what the sound is like, but forms its base and influences it

^ All from my experience, i could be way off!

Well, gigged the aerodyne for the first time last night at a funk jam and WOW! It's the 'jazz' bass sound I've lusted after for all these years (and the P one too!). Basswood and ceramic PJ pups FTW. Now, how do I go about getting the neck bound so it looks as funky as it sounds?

• 2 weeks later...

My VM Squire Jazz Bass. It was originally a fretless, but has been added a fretted neck and a nice tort pickguard.
You can see the three peice basswood body quite clearly, along with a nasty looking knot in the wood! :)
Fitted with flats for a nice retro sound!! :)

Edited by Hobbayne

I dunno... I've had good & bad experiences with basswood bodied basses... which may or may not have been down to the wood itself

I had a MIJ Fender Jazz, which was basswood, and it sounded fantastic... lots of lows, lots of growl, pretty light... caught dings a bit too easily, but not too bad

but I also had an Aerodyne, which was basswood, and it was a shocker... no really guts in the low end, the body was ultra soft, very susceptible to dings, very light body and a wimpy sound... it sounded great in the shop :)

dunno how much basswood was a factor in the Aerodyne being so bad - I think the fact that the bass was so light didn't help

Edited by Steve Dixon

[quote name='Johnston' post='1223558' date='May 7 2011, 07:12 PM'][url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/scrap-lumber-bass-vs-alder-bass-can-you-tell-difference-743932/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/scrap-lum...ference-743932/[/url][/quote]

This /\

Come on now, there's no way you can judge the supposed tonal qualities of a body wood using such flawed means as some of the ones mentioned in previous posts. There's a million other factors that determine tone, pretty much all of which are more influential than the type of body wood - not that the wood type is a consistent factor anyway.

People ted to identify trends in their previous (often limited) experiences with basses and make massive general assumptions. Simply playing two individual instruments with different body woods and noticing that they have different sounds does not automatically mean that that it is down to that one factor.

Tbh i think in a blind test barely anyone can single out woods that contribute to tone on an electric instrument, as the link above shows. We all have expectations based on preconceptions which colour our judgement - hence people assume that the better sounds come the bass that fits their idea of what a "proper" instrument is.

So to the OP, don't worry about it, Basswood works fine!

[quote name='kerley' post='1236966' date='May 19 2011, 02:59 PM']I think that link to the Talkbass test should be auto inserted every time a discussion around wood and it's effect on tone is started to bring the correct level of perspective.[/quote]

:) +1

Or simply ask when was the last time a bassist went into a studio and was asked to use an alder/ash/cocobolo bodied bass.....

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1222576' date='May 6 2011, 08:46 PM']im thinking i wont even notice the difference between maybe alder or ash..[/quote]

Ive also got a CV Jazz and P and while i haven't compared the P to a different P i have noticed my CV Jazz sounds quite warm and not at all like my old HW0one Jazz, even though both have had the same pups in them.
In fact i felt the CV Jazz was warmer than 3 MIA's i had last year.
No idea if tis the wood or finish though.

Im quite happy to use a Basswodd bass though, i had a Lakland DJ5 a year or so ago, i cant remember what thats made of but it sounded horrible to my ears, even with a complete pup change.

Edited by dave_bass5

Respect to everyone's experience but all this experience has all been on different basses with different necks, boards, pickups, electronics and finishes. Someone here recently posted a link to a comparison between an alder bodied Jazz (I think) compared to a bit of 2 inch construction grade pine. It said quite alot about what we hear and what we perceive. I like basswood for solid finishes because it's light and cheap and sounds fine. If you want to lighten up your bass I would go for it.

Are you thinking of replacing a body or building an entirely new bass???

Edited by henry norton

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1236871' date='May 19 2011, 05:01 AM']Tbh i think in a blind test barely anyone can single out woods that contribute to tone on an electric instrument, as the link above shows.[/quote]
I'll go a little farther and say there has never been a human who's walked the earth that can identify wood species by the signal of an electric guitar. I put wood divining in the same class as palm reading and faith healing. Lot's of people will get real angry and tell you they can do it but none can demonstrate it to those who don't already believe.