Why become a member? ×

Flight cases for bass

I'm going over to holland in a few weeks and have got to the point where I need to sort this out so I have a few questions.

I've had flightcase warehouse suggested to me, they seem like solid cases, but they're pretty expensive at £150, I used to have a Rockcase flightcase that I always considered reliable (though I never actually used it on a plane). The only real difference as far as I can tell is that Flightcase Warehouse cases come with the blank foam insert so you can cut it to fit, but it'd be no problem to get some foam and do that with the rockcase anyway.

So what is the reason that the FCW one is almost double the price? Would the Rockcase one do the same job? I can't really justify the extra £70ish if it's going to be aesthetics or something, but if there was actually a strong reason, I'd happily spend it to protect my bass. If someone could outline the specific details, that's be very helpful.

If you are touring and travelling regularly you need a stella case.

I don't know what the difference is between the two models but you need to be able to throw the case around a bit plus stack heavy-ish stuff on top..as handlers might do this to a small degree, and the bass needs to travel inside well.
If you don't think your current case passes that test, you'll have to buy a better one. I couldn't say whether the FCW is up to it either, though.

If I wasn't confident of standing on the case with the bass inside, that would be a fail as well. How thick is the ply..? does it bend when you stand on it..?

[quote name='JTUK' post='1217581' date='May 2 2011, 02:28 PM']If you are touring and travelling regularly you need a stella case.

I don't know what the difference is between the two models but you need to be able to throw the case around a bit plus stack heavy-ish stuff on top..as handlers might do this to a small degree, and the bass needs to travel inside well.
If you don't think your current case passes that test, you'll have to buy a better one. I couldn't say whether the FCW is up to it either, though.

If I wasn't confident of standing on the case with the bass inside, that would be a fail as well. How thick is the ply..? does it bend when you stand on it..?[/quote]

I don't currently have a case, I'm going to have to buy either way. I did have a Rockcase that came with a Warwick I had, but when I sold the bass the case went with it.

To be fair, the rockcase was solid, it bent a bit (only a tiny bit) when I was stood on it, but I'm a big guy. I couldn't tell you any of the details on ply etc though.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1217585' date='May 2 2011, 02:34 PM']The Warwick Rockcases are made to look like proper flightcases but they are not.
Construction-wise a case from Flightcase Warehouse or somewhere similar will be 1000 times better than the Warwick one, and well worth every penny it costs.[/quote]

Can you expand a bit please? :)

I don't think I'd buy the Rockcase then for this purpose.

You need a STRONG and comfortable handle that you can carry well enough for a good few steps as well.

This sort of thing.

[url="http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/music/typeproducts2.asp?id=3140-3980"]http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/music...sp?id=3140-3980[/url]

will pay for itself pretty quick.... and the only thing that can go wrong is the handle, hinges or locks.. all of which can be fixed easily with a pop rivet gun..or in my case.. a coat hanger for the handle and then taped over etc etc ..

[quote name='RhysP' post='1217617' date='May 2 2011, 03:01 PM']What is there to expand on?
The Warwick cases are just hard cases made to look like professional flight cases, a flight case built by a proper flight case company will last a lifetime of going around the world getting treated very badly.[/quote]

You could expand on the differences. :)

I'll give FCW a ring tomorrow, if they make to order they might not be able to do one by the time I'm off anyway so we'll see.

If it helps, I priced up a flightcase for a bass cab a few weeks ago for a similar situation.

Burritobass suggested these guys ([url="http://www.hi-speccases.co.uk/page80.html"]Hi-Spec Flightcases[/url]) and they were quite a lot cheaper than FCW and include VAT and delivery in their quotes.

You have to email for prices, but they were pretty good with me. Also, if you let them know you need it be a certain date, they'd let you know if it was possible or not.

Hope it helps!

Edited by skej21

Maybe one of these? Not as heavy (and I have a roadready flight case so I know what I'm talking about) as a traditional ATA case and a great idea if you have a decent gigbag...

[url="http://www.skbcases.com/music/news/news-detail.php?id=90"]http://www.skbcases.com/music/news/news-detail.php?id=90[/url]

Do you intend travelling by road and sea, or by air? If by air, make sure you get a case that complies with CAA/ATA, etc, requirements. Currently, think that means all hinges, locks and handles must be recessed. A few of the cases suggested/linked wouldn't meet current standards.

[quote name='BassBod' post='1217745' date='May 2 2011, 05:00 PM']I'd always suggest a Hiscox over a full flight case - the case will take a battering, and show it..but the bass will be well protected. Much lighter and generally easier to carry about, especially at airports.[/quote]

Gonna look into Hiscoxs, the guitarist in my band has a rather nice custom made acoustic that's irreplacable and he's always used a Hiscox with it around the world. If his acoustic survives and he trusts it in it, then it's worth looking into. Especially for the price.

We'll be going by air, for the record.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1217529' date='May 2 2011, 01:49 PM']I'm going over to holland in a few weeks and have got to the point where I need to sort this out so I have a few questions.

I've had flightcase warehouse suggested to me, they seem like solid cases, but they're pretty expensive at £150, I used to have a Rockcase flightcase that I always considered reliable (though I never actually used it on a plane). The only real difference as far as I can tell is that Flightcase Warehouse cases come with the blank foam insert so you can cut it to fit, but it'd be no problem to get some foam and do that with the rockcase anyway.

So what is the reason that the FCW one is almost double the price? Would the Rockcase one do the same job? I can't really justify the extra £70ish if it's going to be aesthetics or something, but if there was actually a strong reason, I'd happily spend it to protect my bass. If someone could outline the specific details, that's be very helpful.

I have toured extensively abroad and FCW was recommended to me by another musician. I called them and ordered cases for all the guitars I was taking on the road and have never had a problem with them. They are very sturdy and well made. The only thing I found strange about their design is that they put more padding in the lid than the bottom where the guitar/bass sits which would mean that the bass would be less protected if something was dropped on an upside down case or it fell onto something pointed. The last time I had a bass case made ( 2yrs ago), I got them to add a thicker sheet of padding into the bottom ( 20mm). The other thing is the standard leather strap handle is not very comfortable for carrying a heavy bass in a heavy case so a better choice would be.
one of these, that I had fitted to my case.
[url="http://www.flightcasehardware.co.uk/part-no-3428-technolook-strap-handle-p-59.html"]http://www.flightcasehardware.co.uk/part-n...andle-p-59.html[/url]

One word of warning if you travel to the with a flight case usa. If your case is locked, they will break off the lock hasp or the hinges. I've experienced both. The first time the guitar was put into the broken into flight case and put into a thick polythene bag so when it arrived back in the uk the case had come apart and the guitar was untethered in the bag resulting in damage to the bodywork and neck of the guitar. Compensation or acceptance of liability.... No chance. !!!

Jazzyvee

[quote name='BassBod' post='1217745' date='May 2 2011, 05:00 PM']I'd always suggest a Hiscox over a full flight case - the case will take a battering, and show it..but the bass will be well protected. Much lighter and generally easier to carry about, especially at airports.[/quote]

The Hiscox cases are great. I would echo the recommendation to give one a go. Good price, travels well and the guys at Hiscox are superb to deal with.

I got my case built by Justincase in Edinburgh; but to all itents & purposes it seems identical to a FCW one. I was told that the two price scales was because one is guaranteed for the cold against the finish at high altitudes etc - and the dearer one is guaranteed for higher flights.

I took my Tele across to Europe many times in a normal Fender ABS case, used several different airlines & the guitar is fine; the case has a few battle scars though but it did do it's job. Took my SG once in a Gator case & that and the guitar were both unscathed.

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1217950' date='May 2 2011, 07:28 PM']I got my case built by Justincase in Edinburgh; but to all itents & purposes it seems identical to a FCW one. I was told that the two price scales was because one is guaranteed for the cold against the finish at high altitudes etc - and the dearer one is guaranteed for higher flights.[/quote]
There shouldn't be any need for this these days. The subject of conditions inside the luggage hold on commercial flights came up a while back on another forum and one of the members there who was about to fly to Japan and back packed a max/min thermometer in his suitcase. I can't find the thread right now but IIRC he reported back that the hold temperature was pretty much the same as the cabin temperature.

[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=GTR&Number=859270&Searchpage=1&Main=855791&Words=thermometer&topic=&Search=true#Post859270"]Found the thread[/url]. Temperature outside the plane during the flight dropped to -50°C. Thermometer in the suitcase in the hold recorded between +27°C and +14°C.

Looks like what you were told was sales BS.