Why become a member? ×

Jazz pickups

cocco

Looking for new pickups for my jazz and i can't decide weather to go for dimarzio model
J or wizard 84s, I like humbuckers but i also love the tone of jazz single coils, I'm considering ultra jazz and wizard 64s aswell. What would you do? I'm currently mostly playing a grabber.

[quote name='cocco' post='1216727' date='May 1 2011, 06:10 PM']Looking for new pickups for my jazz and i can't decide weather to go for dimarzio model
J or wizard 84s, I like humbuckers but i also love the tone of jazz single coils, I'm considering ultra jazz and wizard 64s aswell. What would you do? I'm currently mostly playing a grabber.[/quote]

After what you said 84's would be perfect, solid tone tight lows and uber punchy

Awhile ago I heard someone using Delano on a Jazz bass type and they sounded great, same for Fralins.

A lot of boutique bass makers are using Nordstrand instead of Bartolini these days, so they must be worth a listen.

I'm not into Delano, I've had the P set and the J set and not liked either. They'd be going into a CIJ JB66US, basically a jap 60s reissue with a badass on it. I've heard great things about wizard which is why I'm thinking that way but then i know from experience I like the depth of humbuckers. Nordy is more money than I wanted to spend. I'm drawn to dimarzio because I have a model p clone in a westone that I love. more than anything though I just want to end up with a great sounding jazz. I currently have a set of shed custom things that were modeled (badly) on Geddy Lee which are just too hot, they don't sit in the mix, they just cut straight through it and over power the guitars.

Fralins are the best I've ever had. I had them in a Lakland JO4 which sounded amazing. Shame Villex disappeared, because I had some of those in an H1 Jazz and they too were incredible.

Have to say, I didn't enjoy my experience with the Nordstrands - they are very mid humped with harsh treble and are very, very noisy - even on a bass which was shielded to the max. My favourite J pickup - especially when run passive, were the Bare Knuckle pickups.

Despite what the bandwagoners on here say, I find Bartolinis very pleasing (and not all dark and muddy) when used with an active circuit... not so much my thing when they are run passive.

Edited by EBS_freak

I've just put Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups in mine and they're awesome! VERY powerful and punchy, yet clear and defined. Because they're split hum-canceling I'm finding the neck pickup soloed to be much more usable than I did before.

I had SD Quarter Pounders in previously, but I didn't find them to be that meuch different to the stock US pickups I replaced. They were ok though.