Why become a member? ×

Recording session - couple of personal milestones

Clarky

Did a recording session at our band leader's home studio today and achieved a few personal milestones - my first recording with a double bass, my first recording with a fretless bass and my first recording playing fingerstyle (I was always a pick player until I joined Rattlin Bone).

Laid down four tracks - backing bass-lines for our lady singer's two planned solo singles (one a Northern Soul, stomp-along using my 63P; one a smoky, slightly jazzy Carol King-esque song using my 71 P/J fretless) plus DB for an unfinished Rattlin Bone song and fretless for a cover that we plan to do in the band.

Took a while (and a fair few takes) to get in the swing but am feeling chuffed with myself as I do not think I would have the nerve let alone ability to lay down those lines 12 months ago. :)

Not for a while I think. The two solo singles are planned to come out later this year, the first in the next couple of months. The Rattlin Bone songs (at least the original one with DB) I presume will be on our next album which will be a while as we only launched the first one a month or two ago

[quote name='Jigster' post='1216125' date='Apr 30 2011, 08:44 PM']well done dude - did u go straight into the desk or get to use any of yr rig?[/quote]
Went straight into the desk via one of these D-TAR preamps [url="http://www.d-tar.com/solstice.shtml"]http://www.d-tar.com/solstice.shtml[/url] (it was all set up by our band leader, who is a proficient DB and electric bass player in his own right) - the rest was done with EQ and compression from the computer software (although the 71 P/J fretless was left reasonably unaffected)

For the gear geeks (like me) I had Rotosound TruBass strings on the 71 P/J and it sounded better than the DB for the smoky jazz-esque song, so we ditched my attempts at DB for that particular song and switched to the fretless. The 63P (with La Bella standard-gauge Flats on) unsurprisingly sounded perfect for the Northern Soul song

Edited by Clarky

That's cool Clarky, nothing more satisfying than nailing a few takes the way you want them. Being in a studio full time recording is a demanding job, a lot of waiting around and when your time finally comes to play you always need to muster the energy for a song that you might have just spent the past 4 hours listening to over and over again if you're overdubbing. Great fun though, especially when you've got good engineers, a good producer and a good place to not only record, but to sit around and wait for that vital moment.