Why become a member? ×

New Strings=New Life??

TheGreek

I've just restrung my Steinberger with a set of Trace Elliott Stainless Steel strings bought from FunkyMonk for a rediculous £9.00. I had quite a low opinion of this bass - well, the p/ups really - however after having a 30 minute bash I'm having a change of heart. Can it be as simple as a new set of strings to breathe new life into an instrument??

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1207314' date='Apr 21 2011, 05:48 PM']I've just restrung my Steinberger with a set of Trace Elliott Stainless Steel strings bought from FunkyMonk for a rediculous £9.00. I had quite a low opinion of this bass - well, the p/ups really - however after having a 30 minute bash I'm having a change of heart. Can it be as simple as a new set of strings to breathe new life into an instrument??[/quote]

In a word, Yes!

I'm pretty sure I've sold basses that I thought I'd slowly fallen out of love with when really all they needed was a fresh set of wires.

Ugh.

[quote name='gjones' post='1207772' date='Apr 22 2011, 12:45 AM']It's amazing what a new set can do. I'm a big fan of DR Hi-Beams which can bring any boring old bass back to life.[/quote]yep.. im a DR fanboy.. the best string/s available IMO.. Low Riders for me..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1207836' date='Apr 22 2011, 06:25 AM']yep.. im a DR fanboy.. the best string/s available IMO.. Low Riders for me..[/quote]

+1
Same here, Lo-Riders have restored my faith in rounds & made an old Tokai P-Bass of mine (which I was thinking of selling) a joy to play again, with a killer tone. :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='gjones' post='1207772' date='Apr 22 2011, 12:45 AM']It's amazing what a new set can do. I'm a big fan of DR Hi-Beams which can bring any boring old bass back to life.[/quote]

I tried something with a set on at LBGS but the lightest guage I could find was .45 - anybody know if they make a .35/.40?

Those with headless basses are somewhat limited though..

I restrung my Progress with some D'Addario Chromes the other day, i've hardly put it down since !

They're fat and warm in sound but retain midpresence and top end if I dig in. Before I wasn't 100% happy with the roundwounds (Overwater light) as they lacked a little bottom end through the preamp and had to boost it most of the time to my liking.

It is most true that a simple but often overlooked change of strings can rejuvenate an instrument and get you hooked all over again for not much cash.