Why become a member? ×

Looking for a new maple neck for my Squier.

dave_bass5

As much as i love my CV P with its CV Jazz neck i would love a maple neck.

I would like to get a new neck with more or less the same spec, so thats a 1.5" nut and vintage frets and a 9.5" (10.5" would be ideal) radius
The other reason i want a neck is that if i start to use my CV Jazz that will also need a Jazz neck on it.

Im going to look around but thought i would ask here as well. I know about Allparts, MightyMite and Warmoth but have no experience with them so ill look at those first. I know the necks are well respected but how complete are they when they arrive?

I really dont want to have to do any work on this neck, other than to fit the tuners but i have a feeling they need ot be drilled for attaching to the bass. Is this easy to do? I have a drill but not a lot of patience.

Cheers for any help.

Edited by dave_bass5

Dave, have you talked to Sims or their mates over the road at WD..?
I expect the former to be too expensive if you have one made but they may have a few in the workshop that didn't make it onto a custom job in the end for some reason..

Might be a vague chance but as much as ebay would be, also.

Having said that..I would think someone here would have one.

Cheers John.
I think getting one made would be too expensive, or rather out of my budget, but its a good idea about seeing if Sims have any lying around. Its not like i need anything special, just a standard vintage fretted Jazz neck.
I was just looking on WD but they dont have anything i fancy.

I wonder if I've set my budget too low.

Edited by dave_bass5

This lot, in the USA, have a quite a lot of Squier and Fender necks available at any one time [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190521473867&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]
They are more expensive but at least you can be sure they'll fit and are made to a decent standard.

[quote name='gjones' post='1207062' date='Apr 21 2011, 01:46 PM']This lot, in the USA, have a quite a lot of Squier and Fender necks available at any one time [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190521473867&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]
They are more expensive but at least you can be sure they'll fit and are made to a decent standard.[/quote]

Thanks but i looked through the under £250 necks and couldn't see any that i fancied.

I've got a guy who does Mighty might necks with fitted Fender decals and finished, usually go for around £105-110. I'm going to buy another maple precision neck off him soon as the first one i purchased was an awesome neck and a lot like a MIJ P neck that i used to own, top quality indeed. I can PM you his email details if your interested. :)

[quote name='Rasta' post='1207521' date='Apr 21 2011, 09:06 PM']I've got a guy who does Mighty might necks with fitted Fender decals and finished, usually go for around £105-110. I'm going to buy another maple precision neck off him soon as the first one i purchased was an awesome neck and a lot like a MIJ P neck that i used to own, top quality indeed. I can PM you his email details if your interested. :)[/quote]

That would be fantasic, thanks.

Gary, thnaks for the heads up, ill PM him over the weekend

[quote name='Rasta' post='1207521' date='Apr 21 2011, 09:06 PM']I've got a guy who does Mighty might necks with fitted Fender decals and finished, usually go for around £105-110. I'm going to buy another maple precision neck off him soon as the first one i purchased was an awesome neck and a lot like a MIJ P neck that i used to own, top quality indeed. I can PM you his email details if your interested. :)[/quote]

+1
I used this chap also for a Mighty Mite neck to on a Sue Ryder bass body. Recommended.

Edited by nick

Cheers Fran. I was going to get in touch over the weekend. It was seeing yours that convinced me its a good idea.

Does that neck have vintage frets? This is a must for me and most of the cheaper necks (under £200) that ive seen have the medium Jumbo frets. Nothing wrong with that but if im going to replace a neck i love it will have to be what i want rather than what i can get if that makes sense, and these seem to cost quite a bit more than my original budget.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1208142' date='Apr 22 2011, 11:43 AM']Yes the frets are exactly the same size as the ones on the CV they are vintage size ones. You'll be hard pressed to find a difference before and after in either feel or action.[/quote]

Fantastic, cheers. Did this come pre drilled for fixing to the body, and did it have a nut?
I dont supose you have the model number do you?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1208155' date='Apr 22 2011, 11:49 AM']Fantastic, cheers. Did this come pre drilled for fixing to the body, and did it have a nut?
I dont supose you have the model number do you?[/quote]

No, there's no model number nor holes on these, see pic below:

your choices are P neck J neck, rosewood or maple, that's about it! To drill the 4 neck fixing screw holes, you need to first position the neck into the pocket, get a small drill bit and start etching the 4 pilot holes, than put the neck on a steady surface (best held in place with a vice) and draw a square around the 4 pilot holes and a cross, as a reference, and then use the correct size drill bit to drill the holes "proper" and straight, I suggest you use someone's workshop with a drill mounted on a steady arm that will go down exactly perpendicular to the neck because the last thing you want is the holes to be wonky like the frets on me dingwalls. :)

The neck comes with a nut which is pre-slotted but there's two reasons why that eneded up in the bin straight away, 1) cheap white plastic = crap, 2) you should know never to trust a pre-slotted nut, as it is best to cut your own slots over the correct strings alignnment taking into consideration the distances dictated by your bridge spacing and the pegs. I have used a Fender reconstituted bone nut better than bone in consistency and the correct colour too. see below:

you can just about see the original nut in this pic

Look if you are not confident in drilling the holes or fitting the nut, you really ought to take it to a pro, because you could do it more damage than good.

Edited by Grand Wazoo