Why become a member? ×

Calling Bass Doc..... :)

Beedster

Or anyone else who's had this problem of course!

It's never bothered me overly as I've not until recently tended to play at the dusty end on the E. but using the original bridge, I have never been able to get the intonation right on any La Bella Jamerson Set E string on my '65 Precision, the saddle simply doesn't go far back enough. This is a serious enough problem (coupled with that of the winding on the La Bella not sitting very well on the old-style saddle anyway), for me to consider installing a Badass, which has greater movement away from the nut and therefore will most likely address the problem. However, I HATE the idea of a Badass on a Precision, especially one as old as this. Ironically, although I love Badasses with rounds, I've never found them all that good with flats either, and I worry that it might take something away from that lovely vintage thump. Kinda ironic to have a Badass and then stuff foam under it to kill the sustain isn't it! It also means I'll have to leave the bridge cover off, and I love that aspect of the bass also.

Any thoughts on alternatives?

Cheers

C

Chris, any idea if its OK with other strings? I'm guessing it would be but you won't have tried anything other than the Labellas...

Might be worth striping/burning off the silk at the ball end of the string to let it sit better on the saddle and allow the saddle to run further back?

Does it sound badly out of tune or are you using an electronic tuner and going on how it looks rather than the sound?
How did they manage back in the day when there were only flats and no electric tuners - what would Jamerson have done?

I play a 63 Jazz bass with heavy GHS flats and I had the same problem until I stopped using the tuner and accepted the situation.

Presumably you've tried washers on the ball-end of the string? (pleased I spelt ball-end correctly).

I use the same set-up on my '63 and don't seem to have a problem but then again I get a nose bleed if I venture up past the 7th fret on the E string.

As has been mentioned, try not to take too much notice of an electronic tuner and if the intonation is really 'far out' out, just call it jazz.

[quote name='Legion' post='1203805' date='Apr 18 2011, 05:01 PM']Chris, any idea if its OK with other strings? I'm guessing it would be but you won't have tried anything other than the Labellas...

Might be worth striping/burning off the silk at the ball end of the string to let it sit better on the saddle and allow the saddle to run further back?[/quote]

Fine with lighter La Bellas Jase, just with the heavies (and I've tried more than one set). No silks to burn on these babies I'm afraid! I could try filing but I have no doubt what'll happen if I do!

Cheers mate

C

[quote name='redstriper' post='1203813' date='Apr 18 2011, 05:07 PM']Does it sound badly out of tune or are you using an electronic tuner and going on how it looks rather than the sound?
How did they manage back in the day when there were only flats and no electric tuners - what would Jamerson have done?

I play a 63 Jazz bass with heavy GHS flats and I had the same problem until I stopped using the tuner and accepted the situation.[/quote]

Hey mate, well I can hear it. I don't use an electronic tuner, but i can hear it's slightly sharp and becomes more so as I go up the neck.

Back in the day? Well, apparently they used to de-tune very slightly if hey were up the neck and then tune back up if they were down the neck. Also, there's quite a lot of out of tune notes to be heard in a lot of old tracks if we're honest, tuning's always a compromise isn't it. In writing the post above I was just wondering whether anyone's found a more elegant way around it? I guess one way is to take out the spring and wedge the saddle up against the backplate, which I might try later, although I think this will make the windings on the strings even more of an issue.

This only really became more of an issue when I was trying to master Entwhistle's lines on 'The Real Me', which use the dusty end and the non-dusty end in in pretty equal measure. I think that in the context of other musicians in the mix, it'll be much less noticeable. Problem I have is that I'm awlays ranting at our guitarist about his poor tuning and his even worse habit of changing string gauges and screwing up his intonation, so I don't want to get the finger pointed at me!

Cheers guys

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1203855' date='Apr 18 2011, 05:41 PM']Presumably you've tried washers on the ball-end of the string? (pleased I spelt ball-end correctly).

I use the same set-up on my '63 and don't seem to have a problem but then again I get a nose bleed if I venture up past the 7th fret on the E string.

As has been mentioned, try not to take too much notice of an electronic tuner and if the intonation is really 'far out' out, just call it jazz.[/quote]

Cheers Doc!

Re washers, yes, tried it, but it stopped me using the bridge cover (which may no longer be a factor TBH given the above).

Perhaps Jazz it has to be then :)

C

You could try a lighter gauge of La Bellas, 49-109's(?)
Alternatively, if it's that you've still got some saddle movement left but the windings are preventing any more adjustment back, try placing a small nut on the backend of the bridge. & thread the string through it.
I had this problem on an Epiphone Flying V bass, apparently its common with it & Epiphone Thunderbird bridges too. With the strings going through small nuts & then the bridge, I've got enough to adjust the saddles back to intonate without the windings going over them. Hope this makes sense(?)

I've got Jamerson flats on my stock 2007 Jazz. The intonation on the E is fine but the saddle is back as far as it goes and just the slightest of movement on the tuning peg, even a stern look, and it goes sharp/flat. It's not much of a problem for me but knowing this earlier I would have opted for the normal gauge Labella's.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1203973' date='Apr 18 2011, 07:20 PM']Well, I've a Badass on it's way so I'm going to see what difference it makes, and if it does the job, I'll start looking at ways in which the original brinde could also do the same job. I'll keep y'all posted

Cheers

C[/quote]
Oh dear! Wish I'd answered before i went to feed the cat :) Looking at my Frank Bello - La Bella 1954s - strung through body & over a Badass |||, the E saddle is all the way back squeezing the spring pretty tight to get close to the mark.
So I'm not so sure a Badass || or ||| will help you much :)

Cheerz, John

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1204001' date='Apr 18 2011, 07:38 PM']Oh dear! Wish I'd answered before i went to feed the cat :) Looking at my Frank Bello - La Bella 1954s - strung through body & over a Badass |||, the E saddle is all the way back squeezing the spring pretty tight to get close to the mark.
So I'm not so sure a Badass || or ||| will help you much :)

Cheerz, John[/quote]

LOL, no worries John, it was already on its way, but thanks anyway :lol:

PS, when I strung a DT E string through a bridge it didn't end nicely, you sure yours is OK?

[quote name='Beedster' post='1204030' date='Apr 18 2011, 07:51 PM']LOL, no worries John, it was already on its way, but thanks anyway :)

PS, when I strung a DT E string through a bridge it didn't end nicely, you sure yours is OK?[/quote]
Yeah - luvly jubly, just snapped a couple of pix:

Excuse the dust! Here's some Fender 9050s on a MIM P-bass with Badass||, so LaBella's??
[attachment=77890:18042011598.jpg][attachment=77889:18042011599.jpg]
Edit: With intonation set to within a midge's m*nge :)

Edited by KiOgon

I'd be tempted to keep the bass original and move to a lighter set of LaBellas - may also be kinder to the neck in the long run? If they feel wimpy (hey..you like Mesa cabs don't you?) then inch the action up a touch to regain your zest for life.

Intonation and flats - be honest, the notes don't really last long enough to tell.....

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Johnston' post='1204159' date='Apr 18 2011, 09:19 PM']Depending on how original you want to keep it and how much room you have on the G how about getting the bridge moved back a touch??[/quote]

I've done that in the past a couple of times, by drilling new mounting holes on a new Fender bridge. The first bass I did it on as fine, but on the second one I had to weld a little extension onto the bridge and use a longer screw on the G saddle.

If I was doing this again on one of my own basses I'd just make a new bridge baseplate but with the rear edge a 1/3 to 1/2 inch further back than the original.