Why become a member? ×

Fishman Plat Pro into fx return of a Class D amp

Clarky

When I used my AI Coda combo at our last gig the band leader (who does vocals only live but is a more experienced DB player than me) suggested that I should use my Fishman preamp into the Coda and use the former for tone shaping and feedback control (he has the same rig as me). This got me to wondering if there is any point having all those facilities on the AI combo if all you do is override them with the preamp. In which case I am wondering whether the money I have spent on my Ai gear is all a bit superfluous and that a perfectly acceptable alternative would be to plug the Fishman into the fx return socket of my electric rig (still waiting for it to arrive but will be the 500W Aguilar Tone hammer head and a Batefaced Compact)? More generally, a Fishman into any small Class D amp into a relatively uncoloured cab - just as good as a DB-specific rig? Thoughts anyone?

(In case you read my other posts today, I am en route to Milan airport with the injured Mrs C and sprogs in tow)

Yes, in a nutshell. But, you might find that the Barefaced cab (or any cab that's great for slab) might not work so well for the upright. Obviously your needs and live scenarios will vary from mine and others. In my experience I've found that cabs that work exceptionally well for electric bass tend to be too muddy for double bass. The reduced low end of my Shuttle 3.0/10T combo works wonderfully for double bass at gig volume but not so well with the electric. The wide open low end of my Epifani cabs is everything I need for my 5 string live, but it's utter indistinct mush with the electric. *oops - obviously meant upright, not electric*

So, before you sell on your Acoustic Image combo (and I know you're thinking of it) I'd see if you can try the Aggie head into the cab and the AI head into the Barefaced before making your mind up.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1203939' date='Apr 18 2011, 06:56 PM']Yes, in a nutshell. But, you might find that the Barefaced cab (or any cab that's great for slab) might not work so well for the upright. Obviously your needs and live scenarios will vary from mine and others. In my experience I've found that cabs that work exceptionally well for electric bass tend to be too muddy for double bass. The reduced low end of my Shuttle 3.0/10T combo works wonderfully for double bass at gig volume but not so well with the electric. The wide open low end of my Epifani cabs is everything I need for my 5 string live, but it's utter indistinct mush with the electric.

So, before you sell on your Acoustic Image combo (and I know you're thinking of it) I'd see if you can try the Aggie head into the cab and the AI head into the Barefaced before making your mind up.[/quote]

+1 to all of the above Clarky, I miss that AI rig hugely. It's the closest I've got to decent DB sound live, every other rig I've played through has made the DB sound like an EB. OK, not a huge problem as I'm working on the basis that for the average punter this isn't a problem, and that for the gigs where it might be (i.e., Jazz), I'll use my PR-40 into the PA. However, perhaps given the amount of time you've devoted to getting a true DB tone with your band, I wonder whether in getting rid of the AI you might be getting rid of one of your best weapons?

BTW, I use a Baggs preamp. I don't know how it compares with the Fishman, but it sounded outstanding and DB-like through the AI but still sounds pretty much like an EB though my Aguliar/Mesa rig.

Life's a journey though, so enjoy the looking and trying, we'll never be happy will we!

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1203960' date='Apr 18 2011, 07:13 PM']+1 to all of the above Clarky, I miss that AI rig hugely. It's the closest I've got to decent DB sound live, every other rig I've played through has made the DB sound like an EB. OK, not a huge problem as I'm working on the basis that for the average punter this isn't a problem, and that for the gigs where it might be (i.e., Jazz), I'll use my PR-40 into the PA. However, perhaps given the amount of time you've devoted to getting a true DB tone with your band, I wonder whether in getting rid of the AI you might be getting rid of one of your best weapons?

BTW, I use a Baggs preamp. I don't know how it compares with the Fishman, but it sounded outstanding and DB-like through the AI but still sounds pretty much like an EB though my Aguliar/Mesa rig.

Life's a journey though, so enjoy the looking and trying, we'll never be happy will we!

C[/quote]

PS, try the AI extension cab with a decent head and you'll realise the AI's reputation is as much about their cabs as their amps. Given that your question seemed to be focussed largely on the amp, this might be something you've overlooking?

I thought the AI was designed to work without an outboard preamp? Does seem a pointless to have two lots of preamping going on.

I run my Eminence into a Fishman Platinum and then into the FX return of a LMII into a BFM Omni 10.5. Works fine for me. The compact may not be the best cab choice though - you could have a chat with Barefaced about their acoustic cab?

[quote name='TheRev' post='1203975' date='Apr 18 2011, 07:23 PM']I thought the AI was designed to work without an outboard preamp? Does seem a pointless to have two lots of preamping going on.[/quote]

Agreed, it sounds great without, but I was blending two PUPs - a transducer and a mag - through the Baggs. It might well have been the combination of PUPs and not the preamp that sounded great (I'm using mag mostly now)

Just to clarify - I've never tried a Barefaced cab and wasn't speaking ill of them, more that I'm referencing it as an electric bass designated cab because that's what they seem to be aimed at. I hope no-one took it that I meant Barefaced cabs weren't good for double bass - they could well be bloody amazing and I'm missing out. No offense meant Alex :)

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='1208274' date='Apr 22 2011, 01:41 PM']I love my Euphonic Audio m line 12" cab. It works great with upright. I also have a AI head and don't use the pre much. Both great bits of kit for upright.[/quote]

I've never used an M Line but hear nothing but good about them. FWIW, when I'm not using my mic set up I have a Fishman Pro eq on the front to give some impedance buffering (also phase switching if req) into an AI Clarus. I just like the relative simplicity of this amp. It's clean, has only a three way eq but seems to do the job well and has a high pass filter to take some of the boom off. Never use the notch. Speakers, depends on the size of the gig. Sometimes a 10" Wizzy, sometimes a 12" and sometimes a 10" on a 12". That's for a bigger room but the funny thing is when I do this I get a lot more bottom from the 12" than when I use it by itself.