Why become a member? ×

I'm in love...........

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-GRETSCH-G6199-BILLY-BO-BASS-GUITAR-THUNDERTRONS-/150590035801?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item230fdd9759#ht_1388wt_983"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-GRETSCH-G6199-BI...9#ht_1388wt_983[/url]

Stunning. Anyone know the story?

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='1195216' date='Apr 10 2011, 11:26 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-GRETSCH-G6199-BILLY-BO-BASS-GUITAR-THUNDERTRONS-/150590035801?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item230fdd9759#ht_1388wt_983"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-GRETSCH-G6199-BI...9#ht_1388wt_983[/url]

Stunning. Anyone know the story?[/quote]
Story here: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretsch_Jupiter_Thunderbird"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretsch_Jupiter_Thunderbird[/url]

and here: [url="http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2410516815"]http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/ind...rtno=2410516815[/url]

• 1 month later...

So, these three basses are really getting under my skin at the moment. There's a common theme I think.......

The Billy Bo

[attachment=81990:Gretsch_6199B.jpg]

Lakland Decade

[attachment=81991:Decade12.jpg]

......and the Ric Cheyenne

[attachment=81992:4004cii_tr.jpg]

So, as each is bloody expensive, to appease the Gods of GAS, I'm embarking on a bitsa build based on the above instruments. I'll keep y'all posted :)

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1259858' date='Jun 7 2011, 04:09 PM']So, these three basses are really getting under my skin at the moment. There's a common theme I think.......

So, as each is bloody expensive, to appease the Gods of GAS, I'm embarking on a bitsa build based on the above instruments. I'll keep y'all posted :)

C[/quote]
PM'd - no, really :)

Edited by Legion

[quote name='Beedster' post='1259858' date='Jun 7 2011, 04:09 PM'].... to appease the Gods of GAS...
C[/quote]

[quote name='Legion' post='1259899' date='Jun 7 2011, 04:45 PM']PM'd - no, really :)[/quote]

The Gods and Devil of bass GAS in the same thread :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1259858' date='Jun 7 2011, 04:09 PM']So, these three basses are really getting under my skin at the moment. There's a common theme I think.......

The Billy Bo

Lakland Decade

C[/quote]
Hey, Chris, that's my Decade on my kitchen floor!!

[quote name='Clarky' post='1259930' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:08 PM']Beedster, what are you like? A few months ago and you were going DB only, now its 4 basses and counting :)

Yeah, I know - pot, kettle, black. Guilty :)[/quote]

LOL, don't worry, this is just a low-cost bitsa project mate (despite Jase's best efforts). Re my increasing fretted bass collection, indeed, a fair point well made. One of the Jags had to go; buying two was a genuine if not rather daft logistical error involving a very late night, beer and eBay, and a bid that was forgotten until the invoice came through a few hours after I'd ordered a new one! Likewise one of the fretlesses will have to go, although that's proving to be something of a problem at present as they are both bloody tasty. The red bass thing is the result of myself and a few mates trying to put together a Southern Boogie thing down here to play pubs, nothing too serious (or too good), and it got me thinking that I'd like a fretted bass that's a bit more Rock 'n' Roll than anything I've got at present.

Which one of us is the pot and which one the kettle, and does the kettle need a lead?

C

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1259950' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:18 PM']Hey, Chris, that's my Decade on my kitchen floor!![/quote]

You must do some magic with Google mate, that was the first pic that cam up when I searched 'Lakland Decade'

Nice floor as well :)

What with talk of kitchens and kettles, this thread is becoming a little domesticated :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1259956' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:21 PM']You must do some magic with Google mate, that was the first pic that cam up when I searched 'Lakland Decade'

Nice floor as well :)

What with talk of kitchens and kettles, this thread is becoming a little domesticated :)[/quote]
You're right, I just googled it too and my kitchen floor is second pic - spooky.

Here's my cooker:

Actually, I've been giving serious thought to selling my Decade - might you be interested?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1259986' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:47 PM']You're right, I just googled it too and my kitchen floor is second pic - spooky.

Here's my cooker:

Actually, I've been giving serious thought to selling my Decade - might you be interested?[/quote]

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :)

Wish I could mate (and you're not the first person to ask since I posted this thread either), but see response to Clarky above :)

Nice cooker, have you got one of your '62 RI with the washing machine?

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1259994' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:51 PM']Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :)

Wish I could mate (and you're not the first person to ask since I posted this thread either), but see response to Clarky above :lol:

Nice cooker, have you got one of your '62 RI with the washing machine?

C[/quote]
No problem because I'm in two minds about selling it anyway. The trouble is I keep playing the 62 and the Decade doesn't get a look in.

Sorry no washing machine pics. :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1260001' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:55 PM']Sorry no washing machine pics. :)[/quote]

No doubt a Ric owner's going to come along soon and start talking toasters :)

Keep the Decade mate, you know as soon as it goes you'll miss it

[quote name='Beedster' post='1260003' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:57 PM']No doubt a Ric owner's going to come along soon and start talking toasters :)[/quote]
Ha ha, good one. :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1260003' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:57 PM']Keep the Decade mate, you know as soon as it goes you'll miss it[/quote]
That's true, especially because it is one of the very first batch of production Skyline Decades and I have good reason to believe it was the very first of or at least very early in that batch - so that's kind of sentimental value too.

Still, I'd enjoy spending the money on something else.

Good luck with the bitsa.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1259986' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:47 PM']You're right, I just googled it too and my kitchen floor is second pic - spooky.

Here's my cooker:

Actually, I've been giving serious thought to selling my Decade - might you be interested?[/quote]
That Lakland is cooking

• 2 weeks later...

The Billy Bo

Lakland Decade

C[/quote]

And here it is (crap pics, better later)

[attachment=83204:DSCN0025.JPG]

Martin Simms custom Jazz neck, ebony board, stunning birdseye maple; Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarterpounders, Badass II, very nice early 90's Squier Precision body (CAR?).

It sounds how it looks, rock 'n' roll :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1276620' date='Jun 21 2011, 07:43 AM']Thats a sexy beast

Out of idle curiosity Chris, isn't your house now completely stuffed to the gunnels full of basses and upright basses now? :)[/quote]

Yes, I was able to build that bass using parts I had lying around :) .

Expect a big sell off soon mate

[quote name='Beedster' post='1276616' date='Jun 21 2011, 07:35 AM']And here it is (crap pics, better later)

[attachment=83204:DSCN0025.JPG]

Martin Simms custom Jazz neck, ebony board, stunning birdseye maple; Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarterpounders, Badass II, very nice early 90's Squier Precision body (CAR?).

It sounds how it looks, rock 'n' roll :)[/quote]

That is fantastic Chris.
1st dibs (did I really write that?) if it comes up for sale.
Karl.