Why become a member? ×

I'm in love...........

Thanks guys, it is available for sale if anyone's interested; project basses are very much a journey not a destination for me. Although I have to admit that this one is pretty special, and I did start it with the intention of keeping it, my rock 'n' roll itch has been satisfied by something with a slightly less Fendery shape that is, at this very moment, on its way to me :)

I'm more than happy to sell for what it cost me. Body was £40, neck circa £200 (and it is a stunner both to look at and play), PUP £50, circuit £20, tuners (MIJ RIs) £40, and Badass £80. I won't factor in the cost of pickguard , PUP cover, neckplate etc etc. Call it £400 ONO? I know that seems a lot for a bitsa, but they are bloody good bits after all :)

The following will need a bit of attention, which I'm happy to look into but it would up the price slightly:

The neck heel is slightly smaller than standard Fender and although there is no movement, from an aesthetic angle - and for confidence - it could do with a very narrow veneer or similar on the bass side

As was hinted at above, the pickguard doesn't quite reach the heel. This is either a new pickguard (circa £15-20), or cunning use of black tape. I know what I would do :lol:.

Screw holes in PUP cover have been, for reasons I can quite imagine, extended to form slots as opposed to holes?

Frets could do with a very slight rub down on the treble side. It doesn't bother me but it might bother you.

Apart from that, it's a decent bass that I will probably eBay for £500ish

Hey Chris
Why does the pickguard not quite fit? If you happen to want to shift it I'd probs take off your hands, I'm after a slightly scruffy (ahem) one of that style. Just in case you do have a buyer for the bass and they don't want the the PG that is :)

Oh and the whole thing does look damn gorgeous :)

[quote name='Marky L' post='1276800' date='Jun 21 2011, 10:52 AM']Hey Chris
Why does the pickguard not quite fit? If you happen to want to shift it I'd probs take off your hands, I'm after a slightly scruffy (ahem) one of that style. Just in case you do have a buyer for the bass and they don't want the the PG that is :)

Oh and the whole thing does look damn gorgeous :)[/quote]

No idea, it's a Fender fit plate and a Squier body is my best guess mate. I'll let you know it becomes available Mark - have you still got the 70's Banana Bass, and if so, how's the old thing going?

Cheers

C

Post retracted:

It's a fair cop, I hadn't seen that the neck not fitting properly had been mentioned earlier. If I had been more specific then none of this fuss would have been kicked up.

My deepest apologies to Chris, whom I have great respect for, for inadvertently casting aspersions that there might be anything else suspect with the bass or with Chris himself - this in all honesty was not my intention. My aloof wording caused an upset but was as a result of me trying to adhere to similar self censorship rules (ie no specific criticisms) as per the actual [i]Basses For Sale [/i]section, ironically out of respect. It has also been suggested to me in strong terms that in future I should use PM rather than speaking openly (or overtly in this case :)) when it appears that a member is selling a bass (presumably even in discussion sections) I have taken this advice on board and will personally endeavour to do so from now on.

Sorry to everyone for being so out of order.

Rich

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1277553' date='Jun 21 2011, 07:33 PM']It's not just the p/g that doesn't fit though is it... that's all I'm saying like.
Chris is a great guy and I'm not going to stick my big nose in any further.[/quote]

And your point is......

[quote name='Beedster' post='1276716' date='Jun 21 2011, 09:50 AM']The neck heel is slightly smaller than standard Fender and although there is no movement, from an aesthetic angle - and for confidence - it could do with a very narrow veneer or similar on the bass side

As was hinted at above, the pickguard doesn't quite reach the heel. This is either a new pickguard (circa £15-20), or cunning use of black tape. I know what I would do :).

Screw holes in PUP cover have been, for reasons I can quite imagine, extended to form slots as opposed to holes?

Frets could do with a very slight rub down on the treble side. It doesn't bother me but it might bother you.[/quote]

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1277553' date='Jun 21 2011, 07:33 PM']It's not just the p/g that doesn't fit though is it... that's all I'm saying like.
Chris is a great guy and I'm not going to stick my big nose in any further.[/quote]

So, having PM'd ou7shined to see what his problem was, he replied that he'd noticed that the pocket is bigger than the heel.

Really?

I'd kinda stated that very clearly in the post a few above his I thought? So, to reiterate, yes, the heel is smaller than the pocket. However, having owned several 70's Precisions, I can state with confidence that the gap in question is substantially less than was the case with most of those! The pickguard malfunction is a mystery to be honest, but hey, it's there for all to see. As I said, I can sort another if anyone wants the bass.

I didn't list this in a FS thread, it was a bass I put together fro my own enjoyment and posted here . In stating a price was just responding to a few enquiries as to whether it was for sale, which, for various reasons which have nothing to do with the bass itself, it is, and having just added it up, at around £80 less than it cost in parts. But to be honest, I'll probably split it down and make more money from selling the individual components :)

Hey Chris!!
Please, if you could put my name on the PG should it be in position to be sold, would be obliged.

The Black Banana? Well I'm just getting a wiring harness from John (KiOgon) as my chewing gum soldering is an embaressing nightmare!
The neck is so damn lively!! I have a replacement that I'm getting laquered so I can get gigging it again. That pickguard would be for this one too as I managed to crack the orignal... hmm, just wondering.. the Black Banana didn't happen to be at the opening of Tutenkhamun's tomb did it?!?!?

[quote name='Marky L' post='1277771' date='Jun 21 2011, 09:17 PM']Hey Chris!!
Please, if you could put my name on the PG should it be in position to be sold, would be obliged.

The Black Banana? Well I'm just getting a wiring harness from John (KiOgon) as my chewing gum soldering is an embaressing nightmare!
The neck is so damn lively!! I have a replacement that I'm getting laquered so I can get gigging it again. That pickguard would be for this one too as I managed to crack the orignal... hmm, just wondering.. the Black Banana didn't happen to be at the opening of Tutenkhamun's tomb did it?!?!?[/quote]

Will do Marky, not sure whether to keep the above bass together and do some work to get it perfect or pull it apart and put the various parts into various other projects. I'll keep you posted mate. Re the Banana, good stuff, if ever there was a late 70's Friday afternoon bass, that was it, but it deserves to be kept going in whatever form :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1277553' date='Jun 21 2011, 07:33 PM']Post retracted:

It's a fair cop, I hadn't seen that the neck not fitting properly had been mentioned earlier. If I had been more specific then none of this fuss would have been kicked up.

My deepest apologies to Chris, whom I have great respect for, for inadvertently casting aspersions that there might be anything else suspect with the bass or with Chris himself - this in all honesty was not my intention. My aloof wording caused an upset but was as a result of me trying to adhere to similar self censorship rules (ie no specific criticisms) as per the actual [i]Basses For Sale [/i]section, ironically out of respect. It has also been suggested to me in strong terms that in future I should use PM rather than speaking openly (or overtly in this case :)) when it appears that a member is selling a bass (presumably even in discussion sections) I have taken this advice on board and will personally endeavour to do so from now on.

Sorry to everyone for being so out of order.

Rich[/quote]

Hey Rich, thanks for that. The reason I got a bit arsey about it wasn't because the post suggested that there are some issues with the bass (which there are and which are pointed out waaaaaaaaaay back in the thread), but because in posting in was I read as a a slightly 'knowing' tone, you seemed to suggest that I was keeping something else back. As it turned it, it was all the result of a technical failure at BC HQ combined with a missed post, so a bit of bad luck and no worries at all on that basis

There are of course plenty of things wrong with me, but none of them relate directly to this thread :)

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1259952' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:19 PM']The red bass thing is the result of myself and a few mates trying to put together a Southern Boogie thing down here to play pubs, nothing too serious (or too good), and it got me thinking that I'd like a fretted bass that's a bit more Rock 'n' Roll than anything I've got at present.

C[/quote]

You need to buy this off me mate......... :)

Seriously though, that Gretsch is absolutely lush.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1281442' date='Jun 24 2011, 08:05 PM']You need to buy this off me mate......... :)

Seriously though, that Gretsch is absolutely lush.[/quote]

Off topic, is that a Red Gibbo Explorer? :) . (No, I can't afford it).
I had me a white one for about 15 years, loved it, sold it for £400 to a mate.
I think I have evolved into a dickhead!

[quote name='karlfer' post='1281521' date='Jun 24 2011, 09:05 PM']Off topic, is that a Red Gibbo Explorer? :) . (No, I can't afford it).
I had me a white one for about 15 years, loved it, sold it for £400 to a mate.
I think I have evolved into a dickhead![/quote]

Yes, original Ferrari red '85

Of my five Gibson basses it's actually the one I've gigged the most - cracking basses :)