Why become a member? ×

High power small amp opinions needed

MartyBRebelMC

I've been using a Markbass 121p with 121NY cab to form a 500w mini rig which has served me very well but i'm going to try a bit of a change. I have ordered a Barefaced compact and am hoping to achieve a one cab solution - yes I'm down-sizing from an already small rig!

I could do with some opinions on amps capable of around 400-500w into 8ohms to drive the compact. It will need to be small - no doubt a class D amp - any suggestions or experience (good or bad) with suitable amps?

Martin

If you're happy with MarkBass then what about one of the two LM 800's or the SD1200? Or there's the MoMark option too! :)

If you fancy a change of brand, then the GenzBenz Streamliner 900 & the TC Electronic RH750 look rather tasty.

Edited to say, you should book a day with somewhere like the Bass Merchant or Bass Direct & take the Compact & your bass along.

Edited by xgsjx

Absolutely - The plan is to make an appointment with Mark at BassDirect when the cab comes and try a few things out.

My natural inclination is towards Markbass as I have been so pleased with the faultless performance of the LM11 in the combo so a LM800 would be a logical choice. The Genz shuttle 9 was suggested by Alex at Barefaced so that has to be a contentder... not thought about TC Electronic but i like the look of them.

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='1192016' date='Apr 7 2011, 05:25 PM']....The plan is to make an appointment with Mark at BassDirect when the cab comes and try a few things out....[/quote]
Good plan, but be prepared to come out with a great amp and another bass at the very least!

ps I bet you buy a TC.

Edited by chris_b

I`m happy to recommend the TC Electronic Classic 450. Amazingly versatile, and very easy to cart about. Probably only about 300 watss at 8 ohms though, however from what I`ve read about Barefaced cabs, I can`t see that being too much of a problem.

[quote name='voxpop' post='1192134' date='Apr 7 2011, 07:07 PM']I am very happy to recommend the SWR headlite. 400watts of tight , slightly mid scooped sound with a valve pre.

I like it very much........ Nice.[/quote]

SWR wasn't even on my radar 'till now - thanks for that and I see Bassdirect stock them as well.

I've used the TC & Compact for a number of gigs, and it sounded nice. But...

The Compact is a tight, punchy cab, and as you know has no tweeter. The TC is designed to emulate a sealed cab, with a low-pass filter and (IME) a very middy inherent tone.

The Streamliner has a lot more going on in the lows and highs, and I think it would be a better match for the Compact.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1192659' date='Apr 8 2011, 10:21 AM']I've used the TC & Compact for a number of gigs, and it sounded nice. But...

The Compact is a tight, punchy cab, and as you know has no tweeter. The TC is designed to emulate a sealed cab, with a low-pass filter and (IME) a very middy inherent tone.

The Streamliner has a lot more going on in the lows and highs, and I think it would be a better match for the Compact.[/quote]

That'd be why my RH450 sounds so good with my Schroeder 1515L, then. :) If I didn't know better, I could fool myself I'd planned it that way....

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1192659' date='Apr 8 2011, 10:21 AM']I've used the TC & Compact for a number of gigs, and it sounded nice. But...

The Streamliner has a lot more going on in the lows and highs, and I think it would be a better match for the Compact.[/quote]

Thanks very useful -

Also I heard somewhere that the low pass filter on the Genz shuttle 9 is set to allow lower frequencies than the 3 or 6 variants - which (cab permitting) can give a weightier sound.. not sure how much effect that would have in the real world... I wonder if this is the case whether the Streamliners are similarly tweaked.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1192659' date='Apr 8 2011, 10:21 AM']The Streamliner has a lot more going on in the lows and highs, and I think it would be a better match for the Compact.[/quote]
Got to agree. And if you ever think of selling your Streamliner WoT - can I be first on the list of possible buyers? :) Brilliant amp.

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='1192728' date='Apr 8 2011, 11:27 AM']Thanks very useful -

Also I heard somewhere that the low pass filter on the Genz shuttle 9 is set to allow lower frequencies than the 3 or 6 variants - which (cab permitting) can give a weightier sound.. not sure how much effect that would have in the real world... I wonder if this is the case whether the Streamliners are similarly tweaked.[/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1192730' date='Apr 8 2011, 11:29 AM']The Streamliner 600 & 900 are comparable to the 9.0.[/quote]

OH No the Basschat Myth again! :) The 6.0 and the 9.0 both have a shelf set to 38Hz, There appears to be very little requirement to go any lower than 38Hz yes even with a low B! It can only be felt not heard by the human ear.
The Streamliner manual only comments on 55Hz so may actually have its shelf set a little higher which is still plenty IMO as I dont use the L.F switch even with the fiver and that then shelves at 80Hz anyway.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1193049' date='Apr 8 2011, 04:31 PM']Just looked 3.0, 6.0 and 9.0 Shuttles are exactly the same so even the 3.0 can go to 38Hz, Lets stop the myth :)[/quote]

Thanks for the info -

I just remembered where I heard it - it was an Ed Friedland review of all things....that'll teach me to watch YouTube reviews!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1193049' date='Apr 8 2011, 04:31 PM']Just looked 3.0, 6.0 and 9.0 Shuttles are exactly the same so even the 3.0 can go to 38Hz, Lets stop the myth :)[/quote]
I could have sworn I saw one of the Genz chaps mention this somewhere on TB, but I'm buggered if I can find it. The 12.0 goes down to 26Hz, so maybe that's where I'm getting confused.

In any event, I'm happy to stand corrected.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='1192524' date='Apr 8 2011, 07:11 AM']SWR wasn't even on my radar 'till now - thanks for that and I see Bassdirect stock them as well.[/quote]

Give the SWR a try, it has a mid scooped sound compared to the Shuttle but I really like the valve sound from it.... much better than the Shuttle. IMHO

I scoped the Shuttle 6.0 a while back and there is a nicely positioned steep highpass filter. I gather the knee point for that filter is a bit higher for the 3.0 and a bit lower for the 9.0 - however if you saw how high up the vast majority of bass cabs roll off then you'd stop thinking about it. It's just there to get the best out of the likely cabs it'll be used with.

Most bass amps have a roll off somewhere in the lows to make life easier on the power stage and easier on the speakers. One notable one that doesn't is the venerable SM400 - which resulted in its reputation for not being as loud as you'd hope, due to wasting power trying to make noise where the cab really couldn't.

Having used my passive bass (active basses often have highpass filtering in the preamp), through my DC coupled Class A U5 (preamps often have highpass filtering too), through my QSC PLX 3002 with the filters switched off, I was astounded at quite how much the woofer jumped around in the Compact at high SPL. Engaged the 30Hz filter and the tone didn't change one whit but the woofer movement was vastly reduced (so you could push it harder before it starts compressing/distorting). Engaged the 50Hz filter and the tone tightened up very slightly and the woofer looked like it was hardly moving (the movement would have been much more obvious without the grill in the way).

Whilst on hols last week I popped in to see Phil Nixon at Bass Gear in Harrogate. He has lots nice Mark ass gear I was able to try and the Markbass 800 valve thingy ( the name has flown out of my senior brain ) thru a Markbass 410 and it sounded HUGE !!! Much preferred it to the othe markbass amps he had including the momark. Well worth trying out and Phil is a top bloke !!!
S