Why become a member? ×

Musikmesse 2011

Born 2B Mild

Hi folks,

I've just blogged [b]Day One[/b] here in Frankfurt.

What I really want to share with you is that it's actually worth visiting as a non-trade person, if not this Saturday then perhaps next year.

Unlike some trade fairs, this one ends up opening to the public. It only took an hour and a half to fly to and I can honestly say it's worth it ...both for looking at gear AND seeing live performances.

And I'm not the only Bass Chatter here ...Tomkent is working on the Kampera stand with a f**ked Fender, whilst mentally composing a new song provisionally entitled "Lufthansa breaks guitars".

Pics and comments on the dudes seen playing today are [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/2011/04/messin-with-musik-part-one/"]here [/url]...Divinity Roxx, Bootsy etc.

Hope you don't mind the Heads Up!

Frankfurter Phil

[quote name='goblin' post='1191079' date='Apr 6 2011, 09:21 PM']What's up with his Fender? I told him not to put it in the hold![/quote]
Me too!

I suggested (well in advance) that he borrowed one from a bass maker who is exhibiting.

It got buggered in the hold as far as I know. It's playable, but only just!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='1191088' date='Apr 6 2011, 09:24 PM']Me too!

I suggested (well in advance) that he borrowed one from a bass maker who is exhibiting.

It got buggered in the hold as far as I know. It's playable, but only just![/quote]

Just goes to show that even SKB Bass Safes aren't entirely hold proof :) I'll always take a hiscox into the cabin with me. Bet he's pretty f***ed off at the moment given how well he packed it!

[quote name='goblin' post='1191099' date='Apr 6 2011, 09:31 PM']You wouldn't believe the amount of trouble he had with getting Lufthansa to get that bass into the hold too. He was upgraded to business class to meet the weight restrictions.[/quote]
That would add a few verses to his song, me thinks.

Anyone care to suggest some lines?

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='1191127' date='Apr 6 2011, 09:50 PM']That would add a few verses to his song, me thinks.

Anyone care to suggest some lines?[/quote]

Lots has been done on the subject already. My favourite so far is [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo[/url]

[quote name='goblin' post='1191099' date='Apr 6 2011, 09:31 PM']You wouldn't believe the amount of trouble he had with getting Lufthansa to get that bass into the hold too. He was upgraded to business class to meet the weight restrictions.[/quote]

I have had really good experiences driving to Germany. From anywhere in the North East, you can easily get to Hull. Then the ferry takes you to Rotterdam. It's about 5 hours from there to Frankfurt, which means you arrive about the same time you would have done if you had flown first thing. It's a bit pricey for one person but if 2-3 people travel together, the costs are comparable with flying.

There's a nasty chip right by the neck and a big crack in the body. Detuned it to make the tension less. Tried borrowing a top end bass, had no time to collect. Sat on the stand now. Check my twitter for photos as I've found Internet. :)

Saw lots of interesting stuff today. Some is under wraps whilst deals are being tied up, but here's my latest [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/2011/04/messin-with-musik-part-two/"]blog [/url]that features pics of Michael Manring, some neat new amps and the obligatory Bootsy reference.

Frankfurter Phil

[quote name='TomKent' post='1192383' date='Apr 7 2011, 10:48 PM']Phil! Come and try the Krampera stack out tomorrow - got an EBS demo board and a couple of vintage basses sorted. Also trying out a mystery brand tomorrow :)[/quote]
Hold on ...I'm coming

I'm quite literally on the Heathrow express having just arrived home, I had a great time this year Doug Wimbish + Tackhead last night were awesome, hung with him and Interviewed him today, great gear, loads of awesome Marleaux and Mayones basses and some killing amps - feet sore but very satisfied with the contacts I've made - saw Dave Swift at Aguilar and loved the press hotel - did it in style this year :)

M

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1193231' date='Apr 8 2011, 07:57 PM']That new Markbass valve amp looks interesting.[/quote]

Yeah I didn't actually get to hear it but it's insanely lightweight for its size and has 4 actual valves

My pic of the show - Doug Wimbish in the crowd playing bass with some guy's wine glass...

[attachment=77003:DSCF2146.JPG]

Good to be home now!