Why become a member? ×

Guitar vs Bass?

scalpy

[quote name='icastle' post='1191640' date='Apr 7 2011, 12:47 PM']I usually content myself with faint sobbing and hiccups... :)[/quote]
:)
Personally I only need to do the hiccups - usually the audience supplies the sobbing sounds :lol:

Edited by mart

Interested to hear other people's views on this issue. I play bass, piano, church organ, a bit of rhythm guitar... Realised recently that with all of them I much prefer taking an accompanist role. As far as that goes, I love the way the bass can set the rhythm, give a solid root to the chord changes, throw in a bit of melody. A great all-rounder. For what it's worth I can't write songs for toffee.

I started on guitar and play in a notionally acoustic duo with Mrs Zero (I use a Variax solidbody on acoustic settings, hence it being notionally acoustic). Primary instrument is bass, I can't do lead guitar. I also write songs, and use an acoustic guitar (big box one, not Variax) for that.

I've just started learning guitar this past couple of weeks, I'd had a couple of quick goes in the past but the neck was always too crowded and the thin strings made my fingers hurt.

But I've stuck at it this time and I'm starting to feel at home on the guitar, can bang out a couple of songs and I'm working through some online lessons and really enjoying it.

Alarmingly, when I pick up a slim necked bass it now feels really huge and chunky :)

But I reckon I'll always be a bassist first and foremost.

I started on bass and it is has remained my main instrument and am currently in two bands and play bass in both. I do however play guitar at home, mostly as a songwriting tool. I can play rhythm guitar fairly well, but my fat fingers can't move quick enough to solo with any real conviction. When I have played guitar in bands before, it never felt comfortable and always felt under pressure, whereas on the bass it feels natural, I know what I want I to do and how to accomplish it.

i have played acoustic over the years and in fact my first guitar my dad gave me was a 12 string ,could never play it that well though,once i picked up the bass i knew this was more like it . i do flirt a little with the acoustic now and then but would never gig with it.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1192564' date='Apr 8 2011, 08:31 AM']I don't get the almost rabid anti-guitar vibe of some in the thread. Don't you generally play with guitarists - so why the hatred of the instrument?...[/quote]

Isn't that the problem? The anti-guitar feelings come from having played with guitarists whose attitude/ego outweighs their abilities. Personally I've been really fortunate - the only guitarists I've played with have been lovely blokes. But I've known of others who are rather harder to work with, and I'm sure folk on here would have a few stories to tell.

[quote name='mart' post='1192649' date='Apr 8 2011, 10:11 AM']Isn't that the problem? The anti-guitar feelings come from having played with guitarists whose attitude/ego outweighs their abilities. Personally I've been really fortunate - the only guitarists I've played with have been lovely blokes. But I've known of others who are rather harder to work with, and I'm sure folk on here would have a few stories to tell.[/quote]
I think this stems from the fact that it would seem that most bassists tend to play in someone else's band - apart from my first one, that's never been the case for me so it's difficult to empathise.

A guitarist with more ego than ability wouldn't last 5 minutes in my band - mostly because it is [i]my[/i] band.

J.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1192564' date='Apr 8 2011, 08:31 AM']I don't get the almost rabid anti-guitar vibe of some in the thread. Don't you generally play with guitarists - so why the hatred of the instrument? I dislike acoustic guitar sounds, and would not choose to listen to acoustic music, but I'm certainly not at the level of wishing they were all firewood.[/quote]

I think it's more dislike of the stereotype of the worst examples of some guitar[b]ists [/b], not the instrument itself.

I play guitar at home and on recordings. I'm much better on bass, but I'm actually hoping to put in more practice on guitar when I can and quite honestly have no great preference one way or the other; it may be heresy on here but I'm not actually very precious about bass as an instrument. That may be because I wanted to be a guitarist first!

One thing I would love to do is play acoustic really well, which I most certainly don't. My fingerpicking skills are anything but legendary. For some reason I find most acoustics almost impossible to play for anything beyond strumming.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1191529' date='Apr 7 2011, 11:09 AM']I've never found the bass a good instrument for composition[/quote]

^ Fair point, but I'm the opposite! Depends on what kind of music you're making I suppose... I nearly always start with a bassline and then work backwards through rhythm and then lead; but maybe I'm just an oddball!

And to be fair, I only play bass (and some keyboards). My other half bought an acoustic guitar off ebay a few years ago for a tenner, but the neck is warped and it's impossible to tune. When I do pick it up, I play it 'fingerstyle' like I would my bass, which just looks and sounds ridiculous! So yeah, that might have something to do with my lack of composition on guitar... ;-)

[quote name='Skol303' post='1192871' date='Apr 8 2011, 02:02 PM']^ Fair point, but I'm the opposite! Depends on what kind of music you're making I suppose... I nearly always start with a bassline and then work backwards through rhythm and then lead; but maybe I'm just an oddball![/quote]

I don't really write [i]on[/i] either, or anything else for that matter. It's more a case of trying to work out what I hear first in my head.