Why become a member? ×

Micro Amps

Dougalbass

Just took delivery of one of these micro combos, after selling my hand wired Ashdown rig, to scale down in size & weight. Difficult thing to part with that 'Big Beauty', but I have to say that I'm bowled over by the increadible power, tone and styling of this very very portable, giggable, amp. Standing alone it would handle a small pub gig, and with the neo extension cab will easily carry a small hall. Sliding out the head gives you a pocket sized amp to plug DI into any PA, making lightweight travelling for bass players at last ! I keep having to plug in and check it out to see if I'm not imagining all this!
Certainly gives Markbass & Genz Benz shuttle a run for their ( much higher ) money. I bought the combo, extension cab, footswitch, and cases/covers with change, from what it would have cost me for any of the other rated makes.
Check this piece of kit out guys & gals... You'll have to order one though !

Exactly the same as my experience mate :)
I've managed to get away without the extension cab for now, but might just have to get me one soon.

How awesome is the build quality by the way!?
I was very very impressed, and dare I say it, a little surprised, albeit pleasantly.
It's better built than my old pre-Gibson Trace Elliot I used to have!

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1187771' date='Apr 4 2011, 02:08 PM']Exactly the same as my experience mate :)
I've managed to get away without the extension cab for now, but might just have to get me one soon.

How awesome is the build quality by the way!?
I was very very impressed, and dare I say it, a little surprised, albeit pleasantly.
It's better built than my old pre-Gibson Trace Elliot I used to have!

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

+1 to all that albeit i already have an extension cab (not the Ibanez one) and am seriously considering using this rig as my main gigging rig as although i love my Hiwatt Custom 200 and Berg NV412 its a bit of a pain to transport to some pubs.

Just not had the guts to make the call and just take it!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1187774' date='Apr 4 2011, 02:12 PM']+1!

It's a very select club, but new members are always welcome. :)[/quote]

Cheers guys. Glad to be part of the backline!

Your right Eude; The build is better than I had expected too.. Taken out of the enclosure, the amp head looks great sitting on top of anything. Makes this so versatile ! My old Ashdown was pretty awesome too, but the Promethean is easing the pain.
My extension cab arrives soon. Just wanted to get it incase they sell out, and I get a larger gig venue.. Do you play with a full band when using the stand alone combo ?
How do you rate the 'Vibe control' ?

D

[quote name='Dougalbass' post='1187976' date='Apr 4 2011, 04:56 PM']Cheers guys. Glad to be part of the backline!

Your right Eude; The build is better than I had expected too.. Taken out of the enclosure, the amp head looks great sitting on top of anything. Makes this so versatile ! My old Ashdown was pretty awesome too, but the Promethean is easing the pain.
My extension cab arrives soon. Just wanted to get it incase they sell out, and I get a larger gig venue.. Do you play with a full band when using the stand alone combo ?
How do you rate the 'Vibe control' ?

D[/quote]

I've gotten away with just the combo in smallish pub gig, about 100 people, with 2 vocalists, 2 acoustic guitars through a 250W PA and a drummer with a full kit, it wasn't even at 50% volume!
I've also used it at a couple of bigger venues, as an on stage monitor using the DI out to feed the PA, I was told to turn it down as it was interfering with the front of house sound :)

I don't really use the vibe control to be honest, but it works very much like the VFL and VLE controls on the MarkBass gear combined, not quite as slick, but it certainly makes a difference, kinda like a powerful passive tone control.
I tend to just boost the bass a bit and leave everything else flat :)

I really hope they don't sell out of the extension cabs, can't afford one just now... :lol:

Eude

[quote name='sk8' post='1187988' date='Apr 4 2011, 05:05 PM']I'm just using the graphic eq at the moment. left the vibe switched off[/quote]

Yep;
Notice so far that keeping the graphic flat, vibe on half, and dialling in & out EQ is pretty good. I'm playing a '75 Jazz through that. When switching to an active Warwick it preamps to blow your mind.. Can see why the combo alone is able to cut through. Am I imagining it, but does it even give a bit of chest punch when standing in front. Thought on 'big rigs' could do that !

D

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1188431' date='Apr 4 2011, 10:27 PM']So tempting - can you plug an MP3 player in?[/quote]

Yep :) Aux in mini jack round the back!

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1188440' date='Apr 4 2011, 10:30 PM']Are you loving it?

Knew you would![/quote]
Hell yes.

I really want in.

I was all set to get a TC 450 Classic but thats been sold. Ive been looking in to a GB Streamliner until this morning when i noticed the (old) GB Shuttle 6.0 that looks ideal to replace my big and heavy MB SA450 lol.

And all this was started by seeing a GKMB500 at the Gallery a few months ago.

One day soon i will be a member of the tiny amp gang.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1188960' date='Apr 5 2011, 01:23 PM']I really want in.

I was all set to get a TC 450 Classic but thats been sold. Ive been looking in to a GB Streamliner until this morning when i noticed the (old) GB Shuttle 6.0 that looks ideal to replace my big and heavy MB SA450 lol.

And all this was started by seeing a GKMB500 at the Gallery a few months ago.

One day soon i will be a member of the tiny amp gang.[/quote]

Is this 'tiny amp' thing going to storm the world? I had real trouble selling my hand wired custom Ashdown Rig, and expected it to fly. It was pristine, one of the originals, but ended up virtually giving it away. The change to micros could be the reason ! I'm a convert now though.. so is my back!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1189488' date='Apr 5 2011, 07:08 PM']Mine is a necessity rather than following a trend. If i had a car i wouldn't care what size the amp was but having to travel on public transport, the smaller the better.[/quote]

Totally with you there;
What an amazing thing though, to have a portable amp, that doesn't leave you underpowered against the rest. Ten years ago that just wouldn't have been the case..