Why become a member? ×

Speaker Cable, when one becomes two!!

patch006

Making your own cables is easy and cheaper. Good quality cable and Neutrik connectors are easily available online or in stores like Maplin. Another advantage is that you can make them exactly the right length for your particular gear - much neater and safer as you are less likely to trip over them.

[quote name='plankspanker' post='1181501' date='Mar 29 2011, 09:50 PM']Making your own cables is easy and cheaper. Good quality cable and Neutrik connectors are easily available online or in stores like Maplin. Another advantage is that you can make them exactly the right length for your particular gear - much neater and safer as you are less likely to trip over them.[/quote]
As many on here will tell you OBBM's prices are often cheaper than buying all the bits and his cable is better than anything I could find. He will make whatever you want whatever length you want. A massive thumbs up and you only need to see how many people have him in their sigs to see who agree :) top fella IME

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I'm thinking of getting a TC amp head and this concerned me too. I did a bit of research and came up with this. Hope it's what you're after [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnakespeakonadapter.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnakespeakonadapter.htm[/url]

Edit: although basic-bits looks cheaper.

Edited by gjones

An OBBM one will be better and cheaper im sure, The one in the link will still need two speakon-speakon cables too which you may already have but others working out the cost may not? Also its more joints in the line that you dont need. When people say make your own check out the cost of the highest quality cable obbm uses and how much 2 female and one male speakon costs from Maplins (Or 3 males if your doing a proper job without the need for link cables). I had a cable with fake speakons on too, It melted at the first gig with the 600watt shuttle!

To be fair to the Thomann adapter, it is using the Neutrik NTX series connectors, which are Neutrik's top of the range, metal housing, touring grade connectors which come at a premium.

While very sexy, it's probably overkill, as you're unlikely to break a regular NL series Speakon connector in day to day bass amp world.

As to pricing - I'd never buy anything from Maplin unless I was desperate - v expensive. CPC are much better, though a trade account with VDC Trading is the business - I can buy the parts for an equivalent cable for half OBBM's cost - but of course a trade account isn't open to all...

Back to the problem at hand, though:

My preferred solution would be, if possible, to adapt either/both speakers to give a second Speakon socket. A tidy & future proof solution.

Next best would be to have a Y lead of the right dimensions to meet my connectivity needs. Might have to compromise on the cable diameter to fit into the Speakon, but then 6mm cable was always overkill for these short runs!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1183391' date='Mar 31 2011, 02:56 PM']Bit of a dissapointment that the RH450 only has one output really IMO :)[/quote]

To be fair the corporate giants TC, the space on the rear panel is packed with features already, and they provide 2 sockets on all their cabs

[quote name='lojo' post='1183742' date='Mar 31 2011, 07:25 PM']To be fair the corporate giants TC, the space on the rear panel is packed with features already, and they provide 2 sockets on all their cabs[/quote]
Another gold star for Genz Benz then :) as we can see not everyone wants to use all combinations of TC's cabs all the time.

[quote name='patch006' post='1184299' date='Apr 1 2011, 09:36 AM']Its all your fault Alex, with only one blooming speakon input on my barefaced compact!! :) :lol:[/quote]

Well we do offer optional second speakon inputs when people order second cabs! I should point out that we were selling cabs before TC and EA launched heads with single speakon outs, so I totally blame them. Electrically a Y-cable will work perfectly, and it'll probably reduce the chance of other people liberating your speaker lead.

What cab are you using with the Compact? I hope it can keep up! :)

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1184783' date='Apr 1 2011, 02:32 PM']I can sort of understand the space problem on the RH450, but why on earth would speaker manufacturers not fit two sockets as standard, Total extra cost would (I'm guessing) be less than a tenner.[/quote]
Looking at the rear of a TC Classic it even has a blanking plug where the second speakon could go, Pah.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1184783' date='Apr 1 2011, 02:32 PM']I can sort of understand the space problem on the RH450, but why on earth would speaker manufacturers not fit two sockets as standard, Total extra cost would (I'm guessing) be less than a tenner.[/quote]

We chose not to discourage daisychaining unsuitable cabs with ours. We can't stop bad practices but at least we can make it more difficult!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1184894' date='Apr 1 2011, 03:28 PM']We chose not to discourage daisychaining unsuitable cabs with ours. We can't stop bad practices but at least we can make it more difficult![/quote]

If the wiring in a Amp from the first connector to the 2nd is effectively daisy chaining what is the difference, or is it to do with the length of the cables?

[quote name='lojo' post='1184984' date='Apr 1 2011, 04:52 PM']If the wiring in a Amp from the first connector to the 2nd is effectively daisy chaining what is the difference, or is it to do with the length of the cables?[/quote]

I noticed that if you only have one speakon socket on a cab then people who are planning to use it with another cab ask why and at that point you then know they're planning to use it with another cab. As our cabs can handle far more power than most then it's rather a waste to add a second non-Barefaced cab when you could just throw more power at the Barefaced cab, because once you've got a second less potent cab in parallel then you're restricting how hard you can push the Barefaced. Plus, adding a second cab that isn't designed to work together can cause rather random performance.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1185011' date='Apr 1 2011, 05:24 PM']I noticed that if you only have one speakon socket on a cab then people who are planning to use it with another cab ask why and at that point you then know they're planning to use it with another cab. As our cabs can handle far more power than most then it's rather a waste to add a second non-Barefaced cab when you could just throw more power at the Barefaced cab, because once you've got a second less potent cab in parallel then you're restricting how hard you can push the Barefaced. Plus, adding a second cab that isn't designed to work together can cause rather random performance.[/quote]

BTW, do you still have the barefaced cabs doing the rounds, Id be keen to try one with my new terror, I think I am going to pass on my TC cabs and go for a 1 cab solution