Why become a member? ×

Anthony Pelosi Custom 5 = Sold Now

Happy Jack

About as boutique-y as a boutique bass gets, this is a riot of beautiful and exotic woods in an unusual body shape. Turn up with this bass, and it's unlikely that there will be another one at the gig.

More pics at [url="http://tinypic.com/a/2k3kg/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/2k3kg/3[/url]

The electronics are basically active Jazz, i.e. two single coils which hum-buck when selected together, and the controls are Master Volume + Treble Boost/Cut + Bass Boost/Cut with a 3-position pickup selector flick-switch. Very simple, very effective.

[url="http://www.pelosibasses.com/index2.php?v=v1"]http://www.pelosibas...index2.php?v=v1[/url]

In the YouTube coverage of NAMM, this bass is on Pelosi's stand. Unfortunately there are no decent soundclips of the bass in action, and my playing is nowhere near good enough for me to post any.

I described the tone of this bass elsewhere as being Jazz --> Shuker, and I think that's about right.

Currently strung with whatever were on there when it arrived. Everything works exactly as the maker intended, no issues whatsoever.

Weighs (with strap) just under 9 lbs.

[size=4][b][s]£800[/s] £600 ono[/b][/size]

DESCRIPTIONS

I don't do the whole describe-the-neck thing, and tell you what it feels like or how "fast" it is (does that help when you play a song by J.J. Cale?).

I don't tell you how low my action is. I don't slap or tap, so there's no point asking me. All my basses are set up for reasonably robust finger-style playing. If you want to know the sort of music I choose to play, check out the Band link in my sig.

If my description didn't mention a problem, then there isn't one (IMHO).

All that said, obviously you should always try before you buy if at all possible. If you can't do that yourself, then I'm perfectly happy for you to ask a knowledgeable friend to come round and check a bass out on your behalf.

OFFERS

There's not a lot of cash out there and (given that I am not looking for trades at all) I am prepared to entertain offers ... in fact some offers can be quite entertaining. ;)

DELIVERY

The bass will be supplied with a decent hard case, and it can be tested in and/or collected from London, either in Chiswick W4 or the West End WC1.

I can post if I really have to, but I greatly prefer to do business face to face. If I'm posting, then I use my firm's courier - they are very reliable but they are NOT cheap.

No, I will not queue up at the Post Office with a bass. No, I will not use DelBoy's ultra-cheap delivery service. No, I will not wait in at home all day in case your chosen courier decides to put in an appearance. Bin there, dun that. B)

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='charic' post='1178876' date='Mar 27 2011, 10:08 PM']I like that, I don't know why but o really do. Good luck with the sale. It must be something quite special on the horizon :)[/quote]

Thanks, and yes, it is special, but I'm saying nothing, NOTHING d'ye hear, until I know I can get it. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1178868' date='Mar 27 2011, 10:04 PM']I'm having my first serious GAS attack in ages, and I need to raise somewhere north of £2000 in the next week or two.[/quote]

The thrill of the chase! Live the dream for all of us HJ. I am excited and I do not even know why yet!

wow, gorgeous bass and a brill sales thread - first one I've seen with an interview with the luthier.

I'd be interested to hear other luthiers takes on matching the truss rod to the hardware but he sounds like he knows his stuff and his basses look the biz

£800 looks like a really good price, good luck with the sale

• 5 months later...

[size=3][b]CUSTOM BASS PRICE SLASHED BY BERSERK VENDOR IN UNPROVOKED ATTACK![/b][/size]

"I blame the obese", claims carrot-wielding jazzer.

"We blame jazz", claim obese couch potatoes.

Full Story from our Special Correspondent

Happy Jack has succumbed to GAS once more, and bought another bass while still trying to sell two others. :)

OK, it's time to get serious.

Currently listed at £750, if I were to successfully eBay this bass at (say) £700, then eBay/PayPal's 15% would leave me with just £600.

Solution?

This bass is available for the next week or so at [b][size=4]£600 [/size][/b](plus delivery - I hardly ever charge people for collecting things).

• 4 months later...