Why become a member? ×

All valve guitar amps - for bass

dmz

There seems to be a different valve amp coming out of the woodwork every week - not so for us bass players.

I know the physics/electronics means in reality we need more power than our high pitched cousins...... but.........

Are there any guitar amps out there that could cut the mustard as bass amps - I'm sure there are some Marshall or Hiwatt amps out there that are more than up for the job. Equally, are there any (inexpensive) valve amps out there that could be modded ?

Basically, a lot of the vintage amps could double up, because cabs were bigger (modern bass cabs have a smaller trend and are thus more power hungry), but more importantly, output transformers were beefier. The Hiwatts and Sound Citys used beefy Partridge transformers, because men were men and could be expected to carry them around. Modern guitar amps tend to scrimp on the transformers and power supplys because guitars don't need the bottom end, plus guitar cabs haven't got smaller, 4x12s are still the same as they were in the 60s.

Also, modern tones tend to be cleaner and more bottom heavy, or at least more bottom heavy, that needs lots of power. If you want a guitary tone, guitar amps will be fine.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1172671' date='Mar 22 2011, 10:52 PM']Basically, a lot of the vintage amps could double up, because cabs were bigger (modern bass cabs have a smaller trend and are thus more power hungry), but more importantly, output transformers were beefier. The Hiwatts and Sound Citys used beefy Partridge transformers, because men were men and could be expected to carry them around. Modern guitar amps tend to scrimp on the transformers and power supplys because guitars don't need the bottom end, plus guitar cabs haven't got smaller, 4x12s are still the same as they were in the 60s.

Also, modern tones tend to be cleaner and more bottom heavy, or at least more bottom heavy, that needs lots of power. If you want a guitary tone, guitar amps will be fine.[/quote]

Can't the Orange OR120 you are offering be used for both guitar and bass, since you can select a load going from 16 to 4 ohms?

This is kinda related I've got an old Hiwatt 100w PA valve head which i've used for bass & it sounds good . The amp man who fixed it advised that it'd be good for bass or guitar.

Once i've got speaker & cab reconnected I'll be able to give it a right good blast!!

[quote name='dmz' post='1172666' date='Mar 22 2011, 09:45 PM']There seems to be a different valve amp coming out of the woodwork every week - not so for us bass players.

I know the physics/electronics means in reality we need more power than our high pitched cousins...... but.........

Are there any guitar amps out there that could cut the mustard as bass amps - I'm sure there are some Marshall or Hiwatt amps out there that are more than up for the job. Equally, are there any (inexpensive) valve amps out there that could be modded ?[/quote]

Ashdown have recently brought out an entire range of valve bass amps...

[url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/section.asp?section=valve"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/section.asp?section=valve[/url]

[quote name='dmz' post='1172666' date='Mar 22 2011, 09:45 PM']Are there any guitar amps out there that could cut the mustard as bass amps - I'm sure there are some Marshall or Hiwatt amps out there that are more than up for the job.[/quote]
The old Hiwatts were designated AP for All Purpose. A 200 will be giving about 350 watts on full tilt but the cabs were way underpowered so would need two (the amp itself usually has 4 speaker outs) of the same vintage which means a whole lotta humping gear.
The newer MG Hiwatt cabs are rated 400 watts so a single cab would do, though personally I wouldn't give them my cash.

[quote name='mart' post='1174823' date='Mar 24 2011, 03:53 PM']The Fender Bassman was a very good guitar amp, but a few people used it for bass too. :)[/quote]
I saw a Bassman in Edinburgh once that was stencilled for Thijs Van Leer Focus. The keyboard player that yodelled.

Edited by Big_Stu

Im in love with my new rig. Fenderbass man 135 2x15 cab run with a GUITAR valve amp....Sound City 120. Sounds fookin amazin

EDIT: Scrap that, i just checked it and it is in fact a B120 which im proper chuffed about, thought it was an L120!

Edited by Pow_22