Why become a member? ×

hi from relatively sunny Oxford

watchman

Hi,

Just introducing myself, being a well-brought-up gent. I play guitar and bass, and have done for 33 years with differing levels of application. Actually more or less stopped playing at all for about ten years a while back; what was I thinking? Over the last few years I've been taking it all rather more seriously though, and I play bass in two bands (could always use a guitar gig too...) which guarantees me a decent number of gigs. I've done some engineering and production work too, chiefly with jazz - ironically, since I have a background in rock and reggae for the most part. I do a little guest work as a "pop bloke" on classical podcasts when they need an expert witness. Basically, I do anything I can in the music and sound worlds. Well, you have to don't you?

Equipment-wise I have a fair amount of accumulated gear. Possibly enough to make listing it all a tedious proposition for you and I. I've some modest keyboards, some modest drum machines (always practice to a groove) and an immodest MPC. A clutch of computers (used to work in IT), some of which work. The odd effects thing, and a decent spread of pedals. A decent little collection of seven guitars. And a few amps - big, small, modelling, not. Nothing vintage and rare though, although some of my gear's quite old.

Told you it would take too long to list. Even the rough gist could be a novel.

Bass gear! Cheap Dean Playmate bass for hazardous duties, which booms like a whatnot even with Swings on it. I also Have a '98 P-Bass Special with the nice anodized guard. Covers the Fender thing nicely. My main gigging axe, though, is a beat-up Yamaha BB 414 in horrid army sheet white tinged with yellow. I use this 90% of the time because I find the neck comfy (knackered hands, variety of reasons) and it sounds great with Roto flatwounds on it. I've rebuilt it more than once, but apart from a few missing bits and rather better pots and wiring it's essentially stock. Made a new nut the other day. I really like the thing, although it's a bit heavy.

I have a Zoom bass multi-thing, a b2.1u, which I sometimes use the octaver on for added thud and also for the tuner, but I tend to keep it simple as poss most of the time. I almost always use the 1000w version of the Ashdown Little Giant amp. It sounds great, it was cheapish, and it weighs almost nothing. I make sure I get properly punished though, by using it into an Ashdown 6x10" (one of the upmarket ones). Sometimes I also add my Ampeg SVT 1x15" cab, if I need to be stupid loud - like on larger outdoor gigs where you get nothing back off the walls. It's all good. I know Ashdown tend to be spotty with reliability, and indeed I've killed the odd one before without doing anything silly, but they're very good VFM if you know your shop staff well. And my rig is nicely clean and even.

If anyone's read this far, I congratulate them. And I'm looking forward to a long and fruitful participation in the forum, which I can already see is full of good discussion and advice.

Cheers! :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1171639' date='Mar 22 2011, 02:25 AM']Welcome watchman :)

... from a fellow Oxonian who's about as far from Oxford as you can get without being in Warwickshire. It's grim up North.

Enjoy the forum.[/quote]

And a welcome from someone who is just over that Warwickshire border. All the best people live around here :)