Why become a member? ×

The Wood Brothers - wonderful recorded DB sound

Clarky

I was tipped to listen to the album 'Ways to lose' by the Wood Brothers (blues/folk duo) and duly downloaded. The DB sounds absolutely wonderful - so earthy, warm and a lovely buzz to the strings on the board. I am assuming that the DB must have been miked to get that sort of sound?

I couldn't find a link to the album but here they are live:

Edited by Clarky

He's also the bass player in this band. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9otVOpKYLw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9otVOpKYLw[/url]

It looks like int he video he's using a small clip n mic. I've been using a DPA 4099 for a few weeks now and its the best sound i've ever gotten.

[quote name='benbastin' post='1170947' date='Mar 21 2011, 05:26 PM']He's also the bass player in this band. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9otVOpKYLw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9otVOpKYLw[/url]

It looks like int he video he's using a small clip n mic. I've been using a DPA 4099 for a few weeks now and its the best sound i've ever gotten.[/quote]
Thanks Ben - I presume you run that through a preamp (Fishman? LR Baggs?) or a specific DB amp (AI, AER?).

I love Chris Wood's playing,he does some great stuff on both Upright and Electric.

His bass is a 1920's Pfretzschner. In the studio he uses a vintage RCA 44-BX ribbon mic infront
of the bridge and a DPA condenser mic clipped to the body.
Live,he uses the DPA condenser and a Fishman Full Circle Pickup with the Wood Brothers,and the Full Circle
and a Realist with MMW,usually through an Ampeg B-15

[quote name='Doddy' post='1170972' date='Mar 21 2011, 05:48 PM']I love Chris Wood's playing,he does some great stuff on both Upright and Electric.

His bass is a 1920's Pfretzschner. In the studio he uses a vintage RCA 44-BX ribbon mic infront
Live,he uses the DPA condenser and a Fishman Full Circle Pickup with the Wood Brothers,and the Full Circle
and a Realist with MMW,usually through an Ampeg B-15[/quote]
Thanks Doddy. Blimey you know a lot about his gear! A DPA and a Full Circle would be a bit prohibitive cost-wise (c.£600 - ouch) but they sure do sound fantastic

I don't use any preamp. I either run the mic straight to house, and where possible I don't have an amp on stage. Or I'll have a mackie SRM150 with the DPA and my realist, then out into a GKMB150. But I prefer when I can to just run the mic, because it's mega. I prefer to hear my bass acoustically. If you have something that will give phantom power the DPA would be fine to use into an amp, unless your playing very very loud you won't have feedback issues.

[quote name='benbastin' post='1171330' date='Mar 21 2011, 09:13 PM']I don't use any preamp. I either run the mic straight to house, and where possible I don't have an amp on stage. Or I'll have a mackie SRM150 with the DPA and my realist, then out into a GKMB150. But I prefer when I can to just run the mic, because it's mega. I prefer to hear my bass acoustically. If you have something that will give phantom power the DPA would be fine to use into an amp, unless your playing very very loud you won't have feedback issues.[/quote]
Thanks Ben, I am competing on stage with a brass section (including souzaphone in the same register), one or two electric guitars, a loud drummer, and up to five vocalists. Thus I need volume. So forgive me for my ignorance but, if I were to use a DPA, I presume I would have to use an amp (for monitoring), in my case an Acoustic Image Contra combo. Would this maintain the fidelity of the acoustic sound do you think? If not I may as well stick with my Shadow piezo pickup. Thanks again

• 10 years later...
On 21/03/2011 at 17:48, Doddy said:

I love Chris Wood's playing,he does some great stuff on both Upright and Electric.

and a Realist with MMW,usually through an Ampeg B-15

Aha, ribbon mic, that's interesting to know, especially given how magnificent his recorded sound is.

I started the thread below years ago and still haven't got around to using either of my ribbons on DB.

Given my new found love for the Wood Brothers, I'll be digging out a ribbon or two this weekend :) 

PS if any mods read this would be helpful if you could reopen the ribbon mic thread which has been locked?

On 21/03/2011 at 21:36, derrenleepoole said:

Great bassist and great tone.

If you're a tone freak check out Jasper Høiby of Phronesis, his tone is incredible.

This video is quite good, but doesn't do full justice to his immense tone on the albums.

I like the way he is covering his right hand so we cannot cop his speed techniques :)