Why become a member? ×

Chris Wolstenholme

Hot Tub

He's a bit good!

A mate recently "challenged" me to learn New Born, which I've now done - just needs a bit of polishing! In researching the song, and having the attention span of a gnat, I got sidetracked to a lot of other Muse tracks. Have to say, I really like most of it and CW comes across as a VERY good bassist, and a rather pleasant unassuming bloke!

:)

Edited by Hot Tub

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='1170257' date='Mar 21 2011, 12:49 AM']Love CW and his playing. Hysteria has a great bass part as do a load of Muse tracks. Guys got a crazy amount of stamina too[/quote]
THIS!

Stockholm Syndrome is an absolute BASTARD to play with fingers!

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1170468' date='Mar 21 2011, 11:03 AM']He plays Hysteria in a weird position, don't you think - all around the 12th fret, seems almost a beginnerish way of doing it. I much prefer to play it around the middle of the neck, down to the 2nd fret on the descending part.[/quote]

I think it's more about the sort of tone you get from playing up there.... I do this when playing James Brown's Cold Sweat. You get a different tone and tension going on.... nothing 'beginner-ish' about it at all..

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' post='1170158' date='Mar 20 2011, 10:34 PM']IMO one of the best live bands still gigging today =)[/quote]

This, although I haven't heard a lot of their new stuff.

I was lucky enough to not only see them, and not only see them in Vegas, but see them in Vegas on my birthday. :)

Good times. Love his playing.

[quote name='crez5150' post='1170475' date='Mar 21 2011, 11:11 AM']I think it's more about the sort of tone you get from playing up there.... I do this when playing James Brown's Cold Sweat. You get a different tone and tension going on.... nothing 'beginner-ish' about it at all..[/quote]

plus the one.

i'm no huge muse fan (quite the opposite in fact), but i do appreciate what a wizard mr. wolstenholme is on bass so i've learned a few muse basslines for the exercise.

hysteria sounds much better (to my ears) played around the 8ves rather than the lower positions - it's thicker and works better with fuzz.

but each to their own.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='1170509' date='Mar 21 2011, 11:38 AM']Love Muse and Chris' bassparts always work well.

In terms of playing them myself its not the speed/notes he plays but the sheer stamina of the guy that amazes me!![/quote]

Yup, he must have really well developed neck muscles.

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' post='1170158' date='Mar 20 2011, 10:34 PM']I've seen muse twice and both times performances have been absolutely spotless. IMO one of the best live bands still gigging today =)[/quote]

I saw them a few years ago,and enjoyed it for about 10 minutes,and then got really bored.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1170631' date='Mar 21 2011, 01:30 PM']I saw them a few years ago,and enjoyed it for about 10 minutes,and then got really bored.[/quote]

i'm not sure i'd get bored...i just can't stand the singer's histrionic wail and sixth-form lyrics.

/looks round room at everyone staring at him in silence/

i'll...um...get my...?

yeah...ok...

tatty bye

I won't listen to Muse out of choice really but you've got to admire them for having some great music and putting on an excellent live show. Some people complain that there isn't enough talent in music, but Matt Bellamy can definitely play and write.

As for Wolstenholme, the guy has some serious stamina and one of the most recognisable bass lines in recent history under his belt... I bet he's laughing all the way to the bank, and rightly so.