Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Amp Stands

Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' post='1161204' date='Mar 13 2011, 11:19 PM']Anyone use one?

Not sure my 32kg combo would fit on one:) but was just wondering as the guitarist in the band I'm in uses one.[/quote]

I used one for a gig but i thought it took too much low end away as there's no floor coupling. It was one of the Giraffe ones and comfortably took the weight of my Schroeder 1212r, which is around 50lb i think.

I got mine for about £40 off eBay, dunno if they're still available. One fault i did find is that the adjustment mechanism is only on one side, so that takes quite a bit of the weight.

Tbh a bit of a waste of time and money unless you just want your cab pointing at you as a personal monitor, mine spent most of it's gigging life being used by our skint guitarist who seemed to like it, but not enough to buy his own!

I use a Quiklok stand [[url="http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=212&sName=BS-317"]LINK[/url]] at the suggestion of Amp-Genius Alex Claber. He suggested that I didn't need any other cabs than my 15" as I'd get the full audio spectrum on-axis; what I needed to do was to point the cab at my head rather than my shins.

I use a TechSoundsystems 115, so it is very light but these stands use a fairly simple mechanism to maintain an angle (I believe the Giraffe ones are a lot more complicated), as such there's not much that can go wrong.

Dan

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Marvin' post='1259123' date='Jun 6 2011, 11:15 PM']I bought one of the Quikloks. Used it twice and it broke. Bolt the holds the side that tightens has sheared. I'm not very happy to be honest.[/quote]

Maybe try one of the Giraffe ones? The mechanism relies on a sprung bolt that secures the angle, quite sturdy but i wish there was one on the other side for peace of mind.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1259158' date='Jun 6 2011, 11:53 PM']Maybe try one of the Giraffe ones? The mechanism relies on a sprung bolt that secures the angle, quite sturdy but i wish there was one on the other side for peace of mind.[/quote]
I considered it but I think I'll just leave it now. The mechanism on the Quiklok appeared sturdy but obviously not.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1259192' date='Jun 7 2011, 12:27 AM']The best stand for a combo is an extension cab.[/quote]
A bit expensive for my combo unfortunately as you can't use an extension cab with it :) Maybe some beer crates, old school.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1259315' date='Jun 7 2011, 08:57 AM']....A bit expensive for my combo unfortunately as you can't use an extension cab with it....Maybe some beer crates, old school....[/quote]
Ah, shame about that. Beer crates would have been my next choice.

You don't need to have the extension cab plugged in. Find a suitable sized cab with a broken speaker - you might even get one for free if you look around. Remove the speaker and fill it with Rockwool RW5. Looks good and gets the working speaker up to sensible height.

The giraffe stands will easily take 45+ kg. I know cos I've done it.

I bought it so I could use my speaker as a monitor pointed at me but for gigs with no PA support I angle it almost horizontal to project out front while still being able to hear it. I could get the same effect by putting it on a table or using the empty cab idea but the stand folds up into next to nothing.