Why become a member? ×

Bass tabs

Juzgoez

[quote name='Doddy' post='1160368' date='Mar 13 2011, 12:13 PM']*Shakes head. Walks away*[/quote]

Hahaha.

In the OP's defence Doddy, we are a bass forum and we do know loads of good ones... they just all happen to be tabbed out in standard notation :)

[quote name='skej21' post='1160384' date='Mar 13 2011, 12:25 PM']Hahaha.

In the OP's defence Doddy, we are a bass forum and we do know loads of good ones... they just all happen to be tabbed out in standard notation :P[/quote]

:) :) :lol: I didn't think I'd find the three stooges so early on in my membership. Keep up the good work lads...or is it girls? :D

I would recommend the following sites for bass tabs:

www.ttabs.com

www.ultimate-guitar.com

Take them all with a pinch of salt though. Being written mostly be teenagers who haven't set foot out of their bedrooms, their accuracy is a bit poor at times.

Just ignore all the standard notation elitists :)

[quote name='Jobo Pooks' post='1160517' date='Mar 13 2011, 02:51 PM']I didn't think I'd find the three stooges so early on in my membership. Keep up the good work lads...or is it girls? :)[/quote]
:lol: Nice return, Sir and welcome. Thing is, we've just come off an extended and thread about the merits of tab vs reading. There may be some residual vibes hanging around.

The only thing I'd say is avoid the bassmasta tab site. A number of us have found viruses on there. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Jobo Pooks' post='1160215' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:53 AM']Looking for some bass tabs links. I know there's loads of them out there, but as this is a bass forum I guess the best ones will be known by folk here. Particulary looking for "Little help from my friends" Joe Cocker version for starters.[/quote]

Welcome mate, there are a few different bass tab sites around that I'm certain you can use, but if I were in you, I'd take some time out to sit down and have a good listen to what the bass part does in the tune and then try and replicate it in your very own way. The biggest problem I have with tabs isn't that is discourages you from reading notation, but that a lot of the time they're wrong; written out by hobbyists without much care for whether or not they are the correct part.

Whilst some people I'm sure will encourage you to find notation for it, I say that if the tabs don't work out for you then have a good listen to the song and translate to your own bass that way. It's good for your ear training! Best of luck.

Edited by risingson

If you cant find a tab, try and find the chords and then work the bass line out for yourself.

Myself, I cant get on with tabs so its usually the way I do it (might just be old age). Play just the root notes at first to make sure the chords are right though.

Sometimes you can find a live version on youtube that helps, even a rubbish cover version will sometimes help crack it.

Wonder how many other forum members are as tone deaf as I am ! I know when its wrong, but cant always decide if its right-if that makes sense.

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='Jobo Pooks' post='1160517' date='Mar 13 2011, 02:51 PM']:) :) :lol: I didn't think I'd find the three stooges so early on in my membership. Keep up the good work lads...or is it girls? :D[/quote]

Oooohhhhh bold early post. Fair play.

You'll soon realise that I can't stand tablature and will always recommend a combination of learning to
read and ear training instead.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1160530' date='Mar 13 2011, 02:59 PM']:) Nice return, Sir and welcome. Thing is, we've just come off an extended and thread about the merits of tab vs reading. There may be some residual vibes hanging around.

The only thing I'd say is avoid the bassmasta tab site. A number of us have found viruses on there. :)[/quote]
Nice one. I've actually been on that site so must have been lucky.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1160632' date='Mar 13 2011, 04:14 PM']Oooohhhhh bold early post. Fair play.

You'll soon realise that I can't stand tablature and will always recommend a combination of learning to
read and ear training instead.[/quote]
I've actually been on here 3 years. I don't post much due to heavy involvment in the healing process. I'm a novice bassist and at present trying to get up to speed for a gig in the summer. Bassist friend of mine died and some old band members are putting together something to honour him and also to benefit a local charity. The guy was a seasoned bassist so you will understand I'm on a learning curve as I haven't played any covers for years and want to make a good job of it. At the moment I'm working on Free Mr big and the solo section, which I couldn't get the tab for (original studio one) so I've taken to splitting up the track with Nero and working on each individual section. Once played in WMP it repeats so no need to keep stopping. It's very similar to the original, but with my own stamp on it. The tabs would speed things up a bit. I'm really enjoying bass - it's a whole new experience. Thanks for the replies, ladies...... :)

Edited by Jobo Pooks

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1160694' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:00 PM'][url="http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/joe_cocker/with_a_little_help_from_my_friends_live_btab.htm"]http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/joe_cock...s_live_btab.htm[/url][/quote]
Nice one! You're the man. Cheers, buddy. I looked on there but couldn't find it. Damn these WW2 spectacles..... :)

Now all I need is some speed so I can go at it 24/7...... :)

Edited by Jobo Pooks

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1160530' date='Mar 13 2011, 02:59 PM']:) Nice return, Sir and welcome. Thing is, we've just come off an extended and thread about the merits of tab vs reading. There may be some residual vibes hanging around.

The only thing I'd say is avoid the bassmasta tab site. A number of us have found viruses on there. :)[/quote]

Really? I have used it quite often. I've never had a problem with viruses, what kind?

And Doddy what makes tabs so evil?

[quote name='hellothere' post='1160715' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:15 PM']Really? I have used it quite often. I've never had a problem with viruses, what kind?[/quote]
TBH, I can't recall which ones - it was about a year ago and again six months ago. One got caught, the other I had to get out with a penknife, so to speak.

[quote name='hellothere' post='1160715' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:15 PM']And Doddy what makes tabs so evil?[/quote]
Don't go there. More than enough threads on this issue. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='risingson' post='1160731' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:23 PM']Please nooooooooo! Not another thread discussing the merits* of notation and the evils* of tab

(*switch as applicable)[/quote]
:) :) Sorry guys, not my intention to throw coal on the fire you're fighting. Just after some links. I'm more into the Ry Cooder philosophy "If music sounds good then there's nothing more to analyse." :lol: Settle down, I don't want to get banned for starting a war..... I like it here.

"Bass lessons near Liverpool available, get in touch if you're interested!"
Nice plug! :D

Edited by Jobo Pooks

[quote name='Jobo Pooks' post='1160741' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:28 PM']:) :) Sorry guys, not my intention to throw coal on the fire you're fighting. Just after some links. I'm more into the Ry Cooder philosophy "If music sounds good then there's nothing more to analyse." :lol: Settle down, I don't want to get banned for starting a war..... I like it here.[/quote]

Absolutely not your fault, you weren't to know! Where abouts in Liverpool are you based mate?

[quote name='risingson' post='1160747' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:31 PM']Absolutely not your fault, you weren't to know! Where abouts in Liverpool are you based mate?[/quote]
I'm over in Huyton. :) DAMN! Now that's torn it.....

Edited by Jobo Pooks

[quote name='Jobo Pooks' post='1160754' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:33 PM']I'm over in Huyton.[/quote]

Cool, I'm over the other side of the Mersey. I think if you're using tabs to get a basic footing of a tune then it's hardly a crime, but if you can get using your ear to figure out songs then you'll find that sooner or later the need for tabs will diminish and your musical ear will no doubt improve :)

May I suggest use this [url="http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/"]Tux Guitar[/url]

in combo with this [url="http://www.911tabs.com/"]911 Tabs[/url]

I use it all the time. Find the song you're looking for on 911. Find the Guitar Pro tab and then download it into Tux.

You can then play it back in a sort of midi version, take out the other instruments to leave an isolated bass track, slow it down, it comes with std notation.

But as with any of these sometimes the accuracy is suspect. Generally though I find it saves oodles of time. Especially as I don't think you've probably got the time to sit around working it out by ear.

[quote name='risingson' post='1160760' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:36 PM']Cool, I'm over the other side of the Mersey. I think if you're using tabs to get a basic footing of a tune then it's hardly a crime, but if you can get using your ear to figure out songs then you'll find that sooner or later the need for tabs will diminish and your musical ear will no doubt improve :)[/quote]
Cheers. I've explained further back that I'm using NERO to split tracks up, play along with the sections then join them up again. Tabs just help with part of it to speed it up a bit. I've been a guitarist for 43 years; don't read music. Could never be bothered to. My daughter does. Got grade 8 flute at 14, but doesn't improvise so well.