Why become a member? ×

Bass tabs

Juzgoez

[quote name='hellothere' post='1160715' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:15 PM']And Doddy what makes tabs so evil?[/quote]

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1160726' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:21 PM']Don't go there. More than enough threads on this issue. :)[/quote]
[quote name='risingson' post='1160731' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:23 PM']Please nooooooooo! Not another thread discussing the merits* of notation and the evils* of tab

(*switch as applicable)[/quote]
:)

That says it all

[quote name='Marvin' post='1160763' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:39 PM']May I suggest use this [url="http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/"]Tux Guitar[/url]

in combo with this [url="http://www.911tabs.com/"]911 Tabs[/url]

I use it all the time. Find the song you're looking for on 911. Find the Guitar Pro tab and then download it into Tux.

You can then play it back in a sort of midi version, take out the other instruments to leave an isolated bass track, slow it down, it comes with std notation.

But as with any of these sometimes the accuracy is suspect. Generally though I find it saves oodles of time. Especially as I don't think you've probably got the time to sit around working it out by ear.[/quote]
I use 911, but thanks for tux link. I was going to knock up some bassless tracks on my studio, but it's the time thing. I've pretty much got Mr Big in the bag now so the other stuff I think we'll be playing will come ok. I've just got to stop thinking like a six string guitarist and get into the bass groove.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1160775' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:50 PM']Oy McCartney learn to read music or you'll never get anywhere.:lol:[/quote]
I read somewhere in a bass review that McCartney's bass playing was all over the place...... :)

Musky, please come in, but leave any tab coal outside - stomach acid is high in here..... :)

Edited by Jobo Pooks

[quote name='Jobo Pooks' post='1160685' date='Mar 13 2011, 04:55 PM']I've actually been on here 3 years. I don't post much due to heavy involvment in the healing process. I'm a novice bassist and at present trying to get up to speed for a gig in the summer. Bassist friend of mine died and some old band members are putting together something to honour him and also to benefit a local charity. The guy was a seasoned bassist so you will understand I'm on a learning curve as I haven't played any covers for years and want to make a good job of it. [b]At the moment I'm working on Free Mr big and the solo section, which I couldn't get the tab for (original studio one) so I've taken to splitting up the track with Nero and working on each individual section. Once played in WMP it repeats so no need to keep stopping.[/b] It's very similar to the original, but with my own stamp on it. The tabs would speed things up a bit. I'm really enjoying bass - it's a whole new experience. Thanks for the replies, ladies...... :)[/quote]

You might like to check out [url="http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/"]Best Practice[/url]. It'll slow down the song to allow you to figure out what's going on without changing the pitch, and lets you loop sections of the song. If you're a Mac user The Amazing Slow Downer does the same thing with the addition of an EQ section which is handy for dialling out some of the other instruments. You'll have to pay for ASD though.

Edit: I'm here, but too late it seems :)

Edited by Musky

[quote name='risingson' post='1160731' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:23 PM']Please nooooooooo! Not another thread discussing the merits* of notation and the evils* of tab[/quote]

And someone then slipping in...
"Slap is for the five knuckle shufflers, Jazz is for snobs, Macca don't do it for me,
Marcus Miller leaves me cold, and pro's don't earn any money, I can't get on with a fiver after 2 hours - see Bass for sale,
Its the best one i have ever played..."... :)

Garry