Why become a member? ×

Any Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn owners here?

dave_bass5

Lovely bass. Great tone, Superb neck. Much lighter than my '78 P

I've never tried a JO but I suspect that it's probably the same neck. It's certainly not a DJ4 neck.

I'm temped to get a regular DD scratch plate and pop a Wizard Thumper in it and see what happens.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='132023' date='Feb 1 2008, 04:24 PM']Damn, thats not what i wanted to hear ;-)

Did you get it with the Fralin pup in it or did you swap it out?[/quote]

Neither. This one was factory made with the Dark Star. It's never been drilled to take a Fralin or any other P pickup.

I had a go on Daves at the SE Bash and loved it to pieces. I haven't been amazingly impressed with Laklands up to this point, the bass sounded really grainy and full of P bass grit, I loved it. If I was in the market for a P I wouldn't consider anything else!

[quote name='obbm' post='132029' date='Feb 1 2008, 04:33 PM']Neither. This one was factory made with the Dark Star. It's never been drilled to take a Fralin or any other P pickup.[/quote]

Ah right. Yes, of course.

Thanks.

Right, time to get rid of the HW-One now :-)

[quote name='ped' post='132031' date='Feb 1 2008, 04:37 PM']I had a go on Daves at the SE Bash and loved it to pieces. I haven't been amazingly impressed with Laklands up to this point, the bass sounded really grainy and full of P bass grit, I loved it. If I was in the market for a P I wouldn't consider anything else![/quote]

Hmmm, while im after a P sound i dont really want too much of a grainy sound. Im guessing though that thats due to the pup.
Now that ive got used to my HW-one i do tend to roll the tone back a bit to mellow it out but this has a grease bucket tone control. I assume the DD has a conventional one.

I suppose if i order it from Thomann then i can return it if i dont like it.

[quote]If I was in the market for a P I wouldn't consider anything else![/quote]

If the NW mini bash comes to fruition I thought I'd bring along my Villex/Villex Bob Glaub :)

By nice to see how it compares with the DS.

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='132036' date='Feb 1 2008, 04:42 PM']Hmmm, while im after a P sound i dont really want too much of a grainy sound. Im guessing though that thats due to the pup.
Now that ive got used to my HW-one i do tend to roll the tone back a bit to mellow it out but this has a grease bucket tone control. I assume the DD has a conventional one.

I suppose if i order it from Thomann then i can return it if i dont like it.[/quote]

It could have been the rig or the input gain etc but I don't know if it sounds like that on an every day basis. I am sure David will be able to fill you in on it a bit more. I thought it was absolutely lovely.

[quote]If the NW mini bash comes to fruition I thought I'd bring along my Villex/Villex Bob Glaub smile.gif

By nice to see how it compares with the DS.[/quote]

I would be very interested too, having had a Villex booster and really liking it. I have just heard back from the studio RE dates so expect an update soon, but it will happen!!!

Cheers folks

ped

[quote name='rodl2005' post='134775' date='Feb 6 2008, 01:01 AM']Is this Lakland DD P bass a Skyline or a USA made one? I'm just wondering whether to go 4 a DD skyline or not??????? Differences?[/quote]

Mines a Skyline. I can't fault it, so I couldn't justify paying a lot more and waiting 9-months for a US made one that might be marginally better.

Differences [url="http://www.lakland.com/basses/dunn.htm"]here[/url]

[quote name='nash' post='134831' date='Feb 6 2008, 08:43 AM']the skyline series is superb[/quote]

wot he said ^^^^^^.

I have 3 lakland skyline sereis basses a Jo a BG P bass and a DJ4 which is currently on e-bay. They are indeed superb basses. The BG percision is my main gigging bass I am currently speaking to the guys at lakland to get a jazz taper neck the same as my Jo made for it. , I also have an original 68P bass and the BG comes a very very close second in sound and feel.

Dave

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='135157' date='Feb 6 2008, 05:03 PM']Well, bit the bullet and placed the order for the DD.
Should be here early next week.
Hopefully i wont have all the problems i had getting my HW-One. That was a nightmare.[/quote]

Congrats. I'll be interested for your comments on the stock strings. Mine came with TI Flats which were put on by the previous owner. I dislike flats and have put DR Sunbeams on it.

[quote name='obbm' post='135170' date='Feb 6 2008, 05:14 PM']Congrats. I'll be interested for your comments on the stock strings. Mine came with TI Flats which were put on by the previous owner. I dislike flats and have put DR Sunbeams on it.[/quote]

cheers.

I have been using Lakland strings (nicks) on my 55-01 since i got it and i think it came with SS which i also liked so as far as im concerned i like Lakland strings anyway but ill post a quick review.

Still aprehensive about the CAR finish but the more i look at your pics the more i just have to hav eit. Love the look of the neck.
Would you say its a typical Jazz neck? ive read some reviews that say its an ultra thin neck but im guessing its in relation to a P neck they are talking about. It looks fast anyway.

As for TI flats. I had some a couple of years ago and liked them for a while on my Jazz but went back to Nicks as i missed the overtones.
Late last Dec i got another set for my HW-One and they lasted 2-3 gigs before i took them off and went back to Fender 7150's.
I thought i wanted a vintage sound but i guess not that vintage.

My New DD just turned up.
Very impressed with the neck (my main worry). The action is a bit low as its buzzing a lot but it feels too low for me anyway so once i raise it up it will be great. The neck feels a bit shallower compared to my Jazz, could be flatter i guess but its very nice.

Colour wise im happy. I was hoping it wouldn't be too bright and its not. I will have to change the pick guard though. whites ok but i might go for a black one as i like the red/black look of my Jazz. Nice and 70's looking.

The only downer is the bass is quite dirty. quite a few grease looking marks on it and some smudges on the bridge. Nothing that wont come off though.. Cant see any fingerprints but the plastic film on the pick guard has been taken off around the bottom half by the controls. There are also a couple of small black imperfections in the paint work. Again, not a big deal, just making me think that i should get it swapped but im always like this.
Its definitely been out of the box as it has Thomann tape on on top of the original. Maybe its a return or a shop model.
I guess these are minor worries and although i can get it sent back im probably going to keep it if it sounds good and plays well.

I wont get to play it through an amp until Sat but ill plug it in to the PC or Pandora tonight and have a play. If it sounds good and plays well it might be worth me keeping it as the next one could be worse.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='ped' post='138130' date='Feb 11 2008, 01:14 PM']Let us know how she sounds![/quote]

Will do but to do a proper comparison ill need to change the strings. It has SS on at the mo and i prefer Nicks.
might wait until i decide if im keeping it or not before i change the string.

Edited by dave_bass5