Why become a member? ×

Elacin ER20

lloydbent

Are these earplugs decent? I play bass in a band who gig roughly twice a month, and i'm fed up of ringing ears. I have also been scared into decioding i need some as my cousin is in a big band (reading and leeds gigs etc. so pretty big and loud) and has always wore earplugs and is still suffering hearing damage.
Don't have too much cash but these seem cheap and good.
Anyone experienced otherwise?
Cheers,
Lloyd

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1146253' date='Mar 1 2011, 07:12 PM']Same here - I swear by mine. I have the molded ones with ER15 filters in them and I've rarely done a gig without them since 2000. Well worth the money - think of it as a few quid a year to protect your hearing for the rest of your life.[/quote]

Plus the one to all that. I've been using them for 15 years and vary the filters according to how loud the situation is.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1146253' date='Mar 1 2011, 07:12 PM']Same here - I swear by mine. I have the molded ones with ER15 filters in them and I've rarely done a gig without them since 2000. Well worth the money - think of it as a few quid a year to protect your hearing for the rest of your life.[/quote]

Another Plus The One here too. I also vary between 15dB and 25dB filters.

The ER20's are great considering they are so cheap. Be sure to make sure you are wearing them properly though - as if they are not seated correctly, you may as well not be wearing 'em at all as you either won't be protecting yourself - or you won't be hearing music clearly.

I would very much advise everyone to get moulded plugs - I've said this often, they may be more expensive than the cheap off the shelf types - but they sound better, are more comfortable to wear and protect your hearing far better. How much is your hearing worth?!

I have used the ER15's for about 5 years and wish I'd found then 20 years earlier.

If your ears are ringing then any protection is better than none. The ER20's are cheap enough to try as a first step if you're not sure, but the ER15's and ER25's are pretty much the gold standard when it comes to protecting your hearing. ACS has a new line called the PRO series and the PRO-17 looks interesting.

I have a set of the moulded plugs but find that I very rarely use them - when I put them in they seem to take out all of the top end frequencies and massively boost all of the bass frequencies so all that I can really here is myself which is not a good thing if you are really trying to get into the music that you are making!

Not sure where I am going wrong as others really rate moulded plugs??

Edited by Gunsfreddy2003

I used ER20’s for years until I found the Earsonic Earpads. I think I paid £15 for mine and I prefer them to anything else I've used.

They let a bit more mid range through, so for a bassist, they work a little better. They're also smaller and more comfortable to wear. I still keep a set of ER20’s in my bag as spares though.....

D.

+1 to all of the above....

I've also got moulded ER15's but used the ER 20's for a few years when I was younger.....

Eventually found the ER20's made my ears itch so took the plunge and had moulds taken. Best £160 I've ever spent.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1146674' date='Mar 2 2011, 02:25 AM']I have a set of the moulded plugs but find that I very rarely use them - when I put them in they seem to take out all of the top end frequencies and massively boost all of the bass frequencies so all that I can really here is myself which is not a good thing if you are really trying to get into the music that you are making!

Not sure where I am going wrong as others really rate moulded plugs??[/quote]

What filters are you using?

Also it takes a while for your ears to adjust to the sound you get through on moulded plugs..

For pop/ and moderate levels, I use 15's

on the loud stuff, I use the 25's

Yes, there are expensive, but I have been using mine for about 6 years and they are still fine..