Why become a member? ×

Sandberg Basic 4............. anyone?

TRBboy

So, I want to treat myself to a new bass for my 30th this year and I'm 99% sure it's gonna be a Sandberg Basic 4. The trouble is, I can't find anywhere in the West Midlands that has them in stock. The bass merchant do, but they're on the other side of the country!

I've played a couple of California JMs before, so I think I know what to expect with a basic, but I'd still rather be sure before I commit to buying one.

Anybody got any suggestions? Anyone own one and have any advice?

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1144218' date='Feb 28 2011, 10:19 AM']So, I want to treat myself to a new bass for my 30th this year and I'm 99% sure it's gonna be a Sandberg Basic 4. The trouble is, I can't find anywhere in the West Midlands that has them in stock. The bass merchant do, but they're on the other side of the country!

I've played a couple of California JMs before, so I think I know what to expect with a basic, but I'd still rather be sure before I commit to buying one.

Anybody got any suggestions? Anyone own one and have any advice?[/quote]

PMT ususally have a good stock of Sandbergs - have you tried them?

I was just about to suggest PMT too - they had quite a large selection of Sandbergs in the Birmingham store when I was last in there a couple of months ago.

Edited to say: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121713"]Have you seen this one for sale?[/url]

Edited by tredders

[quote name='simon1964' post='1144224' date='Feb 28 2011, 10:21 AM']PMT ususally have a good stock of Sandbergs - have you tried them?[/quote]

Yeah, what a nobhead...... just realised that PMT do them. Unfortunately a few hundred quid dearer than bass merchant though!

Opinions would still be appreciated!

Always liked the look of these basses, but never laid eyes on one in real life.
Seen a played plenty of the J and P ones though and the quality is top notch.
There's something about the Basic though, and I bet it makes very nice MusicMan-esque sound.

They've done a special edition of the Basic too, called a "Rayman".
[url="http://www.musik-schmidt.de/Sandberg-Raymaen-4-VW-HG.html"]http://www.musik-schmidt.de/Sandberg-Raymaen-4-VW-HG.html[/url]
Very nice :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1144242' date='Feb 28 2011, 10:40 AM']Always liked the look of these basses, but never laid eyes on one in real life.
Seen a played plenty of the J and P ones though and the quality is top notch.
There's something about the Basic though, and I bet it makes very nice MusicMan-esque sound.

They've done a special edition of the Basic too, called a "Rayman".
[url="http://www.musik-schmidt.de/Sandberg-Raymaen-4-VW-HG.html"]http://www.musik-schmidt.de/Sandberg-Raymaen-4-VW-HG.html[/url]
Very nice :)

Eude[/quote]

Yeah, that looks quite cool too, but isn't it a signature model for someone? I think just the basic Basic will be fine for me. Just spoke to PMT - very helpful. I'll pop up to Brum when I get chance and give one a go. I've always liked the sound of a single MM pickup, but never got on with the feel of a stingray; think I prefer a slimmer, more modern neck feel, so hopefully the Basic will do the job.

I think I would go for................. Violetburst! black hardware, white pickguard. I know some of you will think it's horrible, but when I had my first bass (age 13/14, white Squier P), I wanted more than anything a purple bass! Re-sprayed my squier metallic purple and it looked like a pile of crap, but that was more to do with my handiwork!

Trouble is, I think I might have to sell my TRB1004 to raise funds, but I've got a 1005 too so it's not the end of the world.

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1144258' date='Feb 28 2011, 10:52 AM']Yeah, that looks quite cool too, but isn't it a signature model for someone? I think just the basic Basic will be fine for me. Just spoke to PMT - very helpful. I'll pop up to Brum when I get chance and give one a go. I've always liked the sound of a single MM pickup, but never got on with the feel of a stingray; think I prefer a slimmer, more modern neck feel, so hopefully the Basic will do the job.

I think I would go for................. Violetburst! black hardware, white pickguard. I know some of you will think it's horrible, but when I had my first bass (age 13/14, white Squier P), I wanted more than anything a purple bass! Re-sprayed my squier metallic purple and it looked like a pile of crap, but that was more to do with my handiwork!

Trouble is, I think I might have to sell my TRB1004 to raise funds, but I've got a 1005 too so it's not the end of the world.[/quote]

Fair doos, just thought I'd pop that in for a look.
It's not a signature bass, from what I've read it's just a special edition made for that particular German music shop.

I like the sound of your specs!
That'll be one striking looking bass, personally I'd go with a black guard, but that's just me :)
I take it you'll be ordering it from Sandberg then, through a shop, rather than buying off the shelf?
Be sure to put up some pics when you pull the trigger matey, I'm sure there'll be a lot of people interested.

Eude

I have a Basic 4 fretless, bought off here to. Really really good basses! Lovely feel, neck is spot on and fast to play to. The sound is excellent with tremendous bottom end! And its very light.

If you're prepared to travel to Newcastle, you're more than welcome to try mine. Worth the money in my opinion.

Dan

Thanks for the offer Dan, but it's a bit too far for me.

I am quite tempted by that natural finish one that's for sale on here. I know it's not the colour I wanted but it's about half the price of some of the new ones!

Just need to hurry up and sell my trb now....... anyone want it? I'll stick it in the for sale section anyway.

[quote name='cocco' post='1145921' date='Mar 1 2011, 03:41 PM']do all sandbergs have the same neck profile? Id also love a basic but having played a Cali J/MM I really dont like the neck width.[/quote]

Not sure really. I've only played the California J/MM too but I found it to be reasonably slim and comfortable - very much like a jazz neck to be fair.

I get the impression that the Basic has a slightly more modern, slimmer neck, and any reviews I've read say that they're pretty slim and quick.

the JM's are very jazz like and fast - but can see Cocco's POV as the neck widens out a little more than you'd expect round about the 12th/13th, that is compared to a more typical jazz, and is one of the reasons why I keep uhming and aahing about keeping it..

BUT [b][size=4]TOP[/size][/b] quality bass for a good price and hand made

Edited by Jigster

Jam Guitars in Bristol have a new one going for £800 (they're just around the corner from me). Unfortunately they're closing the shop on 11 March - so you'll need to be quick. Link below:

[url="http://www.jamguitars.co.uk/sandbergbass.htm"]http://www.jamguitars.co.uk/sandbergbass.htm[/url]

[quote name='jude_b' post='1146276' date='Mar 1 2011, 07:30 PM']Jam Guitars in Bristol have a new one going for £800 (they're just around the corner from me). Unfortunately they're closing the shop on 11 March - so you'll need to be quick. Link below:

[url="http://www.jamguitars.co.uk/sandbergbass.htm"]http://www.jamguitars.co.uk/sandbergbass.htm[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the tip-off, looks very nice. Hopefully I'l be taking Gazmon's used one off him in the next couple of days!

Woo Hoo!!!!

I am now eagerly awaiting delivery of Gazmon's Basic 4!!! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

The courier's collecting it tomorrow, so I'm gonna go down to the depot first thing Saturday morning to pick it up!

Thanks to Gazmon for a quick, painless transaction, and also to Tom1946 who's just bought my TRB1004 and it should be with him tommorrow!

I don't think I've ever bought and sold basses so quick! About 12 hours between transactions!

• 12 years later...

Old thread but I’ll comment anyway, these are great basses . 2+2 headstock not to everyone’s taste but the bass is very tidy (about 2” shorter than my Sandberg California/ fender p bass) despite having 24 frets . Sounds great and punchy . (I’ve the mm one) . I dunno any other bass players that have this bass but it’s excellent for the money (around €1400), mine was discounted to €1100. Some bass for that money .