Why become a member? ×

I want to complain

redstriper

Anyone who is coming out the shop without a spare set of strings in there choice of gauge is just bad at bartering :) where does this end? A selection with high medium and low action, Fat,medium and thin strings and the same again flats,rounds etc etc etc. It's not a viable option, If you were that serious and it was a £500+ bass you would stump up the cash for flats or supply them with a set which you could take back off if you didn't like it, I have done it myself :)

Why is it not a viable option to have a few basses strung with flats for the 25% of us who prefer them?
I'm not asking for fat, medium, thin or anything else - just the simple option to try a bass with flats instead of rounds.
As far as the action is concerned, that is easy to alter and not my concern here.

Every music shop that I contacted within a 50 mile radius has not a single new bass strung with flats, furthermore none of these shops even stocks them.
When I asked one large retailer if I could change just one string for a flatwound of my own, I was told absolutely not.

So how are we to know what a given bass will sound like with flats?
We could look to youtube for video reviews, but guess what - it's all about the slap, pop and treble with not a flat to be seen.

I remember when all basses came with flats and rounds were a new phenomenon.
Then rounds became much more popular and flats almost disappeared, but there has always been a hardcore of flat lovers and now there is a new breed of players wanting the retro sound of flats.

It surprises me that with all the retro basses that are being produced eg. Squier CV & VMs and Fender Classic 50s & 60s and RWs, none of them come with period correct strings, (unless you can afford the Pino which has TI flats).

[quote name='redstriper' post='1144758' date='Feb 28 2011, 06:30 PM'](unless you can afford the Pino which has TI flats).[/quote]

I know exactly how you feel, I went into GAK last week to try a '62 AV P-bass, of course it had rounds on so I was offered the Pino to try - £2399 I believe - yes it had TI Flats on, but it was very rusty in places & had loads of paint missing :) :D :lol: didn't fancy it :)

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1144764' date='Feb 28 2011, 06:36 PM']I know exactly how you feel, I went into GAK last week to try a '62 AV P-bass, of course it had rounds on so I was offered the Pino to try - £2399 I believe - yes it had TI Flats on, but it was very rusty in places & had loads of paint missing :) :D :lol: didn't fancy it :)[/quote]
I've played that Pino, it's rather nice despite the rust.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1144770' date='Feb 28 2011, 06:38 PM']I've played that Pino, it's rather nice despite the rust.[/quote]

Yeah OK - in a way 'nice', plays nice - but I'll never understand this 'relicing' lark - not for me, it just looks like a bass that's never been looked after - who wants to pay A LOT for that?

I love flats and plan to put some on my Stingray soon, prob Chromes as thats all i can afford but i'd love to try some of these up market flats i.e. Labella's TI's etc. However i prefer my jazzbass for playing reggae live, but its also my goto bass for the odd funk/rock jam where i prefer the zings of rounds. My comprimise is dirty unchanged rounds that i give a quick wipe if funkin' it up :) .

My thoughts to the OP is that shops should allow the option to at least try flats when trying out a new axe :) .

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='redstriper' post='1144758' date='Feb 28 2011, 06:30 PM']Why is it not a viable option to have a few basses strung with flats for the 25% of us who prefer them?
I'm not asking for fat, medium, thin or anything else - just the simple option to try a bass with flats instead of rounds.
As far as the action is concerned, that is easy to alter and not my concern here.[/quote]

Whats the point, Will people who only like flats only try the 25% of basses hanging up with flats on? I have said it 3 times in this thread already but here we go again,

If its a serious possibility that you will buy it ask for them to be fitted (either take a set along or buy a set there and keep them for your next purchase when you find the one somewhere else, The strings can be left long for now just incase).
If you like the bass anyway with the rounds on make sure you get a set of flats thrown in with the deal.

There is more chance of a flat strung bass in a shop selling some flat wound strings to the new and uninitiated than of actually helping to sell that bass as we can see from 75% of people walking in the shop prefering them.

This thread wiffs of the vegetarians wanting you to cook a veggie and meat meal at your house then you get a nut roast at theirs :)

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1144782' date='Feb 28 2011, 06:47 PM']Yeah OK - in a way 'nice', plays nice - but I'll never understand this 'relicing' lark - not for me, it just looks like a bass that's never been looked after - who wants to pay A LOT for that?[/quote]
I agree on the relicing but I still liked how it played.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1144789' date='Feb 28 2011, 06:50 PM']And the '62 AVs are supposed to be replicas of basses that were produced before rounds were even invented - this can't be right......... can it?[/quote]
I had this conversation with Peter Cook guitars when I bought my '57 AV, they didn't have any decent flats in the shop, got onto Fender & they sent me a set - FOC!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1144868' date='Feb 28 2011, 07:52 PM']Whats the point, Will people who only like flats only try the 25% of basses hanging up with flats on? I have said it 3 times in this thread already but here we go again,

If its a serious possibility that you will buy it ask for them to be fitted (either take a set along or buy a set there and keep them for your next purchase when you find the one somewhere else, The strings can be left long for now just incase).
If you like the bass anyway with the rounds on make sure you get a set of flats thrown in with the deal.

There is more chance of a flat strung bass in a shop selling some flat wound strings to the new and uninitiated than of actually helping to sell that bass as we can see from 75% of people walking in the shop prefering them.

This thread wiffs of the vegetarians wanting you to cook a veggie and meat meal at your house then you get a nut roast at theirs :)[/quote]
What's the point?
I have said it 3 times in this thread already but here we go again:
None of the shops I have tried even stock flats and none of them will let me fit mine to audition their basses.
They seem to have the same attitude as you, that all flatwound lovers are weird vegetarians and don't deserve equal treatment.
I don't know why you think a preference for flatwound strings has anything in common with not eating meat, but most restaurants offer a veggie option for the small percentage of non meat eaters and I am simply asking for the same thing string wise.

So if things change and more players prefer flats than wounds, it's reasonable to expect all basses to come strung with flats and shops to stop selling rounds because it's too much trouble to offer a choice?

I find it strange in a world of such overwhelming choice, that I cannot try a Fender bass with the strings it was originally designed for.
A new Fender AV jazz bass is around £1600 and you're telling me it's too costly and inconvenient to offer it with a basic choice of strings.
Consumer choice is the key to successful business these days and it's no wonder that music retailers are struggling when they are so out of touch with public demand.
I don't see any reason not to have a few flatwound strung basses, (whether budget or high end) in any music shop.

I remember it was similar in the early 70s when everyone wanted rounds, but most basses came with flats - it took the industry ages to catch on to the demand and I think they are out of touch again, 25% is a considerable market share to ignore and I've a feeling it may be growing.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1144980' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:01 PM']Never say never Pete - fancy a burger?
:)[/quote]
Yes please Wimpy is my favourite BTW :D

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1144985' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:03 PM']I like flats and I'm a veggie. Can you add an option in the poll for me please?

:)[/quote]

All that Aberdeen Angus on the door step going to waste! Keep sending it down here Rich :lol:

[quote name='Johnston' post='1145013' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:17 PM']I like them too (new convert) same boat no one stocked them, don't know anyone who has so had to take the gamble and just order a set and I have to agree with Pete.

Look at it this way. The shops are not going to change strings and loose what little profit they are getting, they just keep what sh*tty things that come from the factory. Otherwise they would be taking the real crappy things that come on some off and putting something a bit better on.

The manufacturer is not going to do it. It would double the catalogue for a start, For every bass would need two options.

That then increases the work in the stores and warehouse by having twice the part no.s., harder life for the ones at the sales end by pushing twice the product.

It would also make life harder for the factory as instead of just bunging on the same strings to everything off the line so many need rounds and so many need flats.

Plus the cost of the roundwounds would likely go up as although they are buying in baulk they wouldn't be buying as many so likely a higher cost price which obviously gets passed on..

And for what to please 25% of the bass playing population most shops treat as an after thought anyway and then for likely 75%+ of that 25% to swap for there preferred brand and gauge anyway.[/quote]

All of this for a plus 1 and put better than I did, Have a gold star! :P

Whats the most common gauge of rounds? I like 40-100 on a four and as close as possible in a five with a 125 B. Thats probably a fair portion of users the same or similar to those wanting flats maybe? 25% say, Can we have 40-100 on all fours as a standard fitment, Probably not but theres more chance of that than flats coming on anything other than the odd bass aimed at that market. I would be in favour of big stores having a 2 P's with a choice to try but then you lot would only be argueing that the RW board one should have the flats, No no maple and flats is best etc etc etc.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1145090' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:47 PM']A new Fender AV jazz bass is around £1600 and you're telling me it's too costly and inconvenient to offer it with a basic choice of strings.[/quote]

Thats near as damn it what I paid for my Ray5 a few weeks ago, It had fat strings on it from new so I came away with a set of what I wanted plus another set when I registered the bass with the retailer. I played the factory ones until they felt dirty to get the last few quid out of them then put the 40's on. Job done. If I had gone in and asked for a set of my flats to be put on and they said no I would go to another shop simples at £1600+ money.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1145094' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:51 PM']Yes please Wimpy is my favourite BTW :D

All that Aberdeen Angus on the door step going to waste! Keep sending it down here Rich :)

All of this for a plus 1 and put better than I did, Have a gold star! :P

Whats the most common gauge of rounds? I like 40-100 on a four and as close as possible in a five with a 125 B. Thats probably a fair portion of users the same or similar to those wanting flats maybe? 25% say, Can we have 40-100 on all fours as a standard fitment, Probably not but theres more chance of that than flats coming on anything other than the odd bass aimed at that market. I would be in favour of big stores having a 2 P's with a choice to try but then [b]you lot[/b] would only be argueing that the RW board one should have the flats, No no maple and flats is best etc etc etc.[/quote]

Now that's just daft and I withdraw my offer of a (veggie) burger :) .

The difference between flats and rounds is much greater than that between different gauges of the same string type.
Nobody is asking for that level of choice although now you mention it, I don't see why you couldn't have a couple of jazz basses strung with flats if you had ten on the wall and why not put one set on a maple board and the other on a rosewood?
I would call that excellent customer service and very good business sense.

The fact is that many shops sell a range of rounds in a variety of gauges, whilst often not stocking any flats at all.
I would love to try a new bass with flats instead of trying to imagine how it would sound and feel through the bright scratchy clang from the standard strings.

I don't know who you mean by 'you lot', us crazy, wild, veggie munching, flatwound playing freaks you mean :lol: ?

[quote name='Johnston' post='1145160' date='Feb 28 2011, 10:34 PM']One way of looking at it is rather than increasing the sales to 25% of the population you are limiting the sale of those 2 basses by 75%. And if you mean 10 jazz basses on a wall?? Around here your lucky to get 10 basses. 1 shop put up a picture of a mix of 10 fenders and squiers on FB someone commented it was an amazing bass section. 10 basses amazing !!! there are players on here with private collections 4 times that.[/quote]

Yes, I take your point - I've been silly haven't I................ and in public too :)

[quote name='redstriper' post='1145192' date='Feb 28 2011, 10:54 PM']Yes, I take your point - I've been silly haven't I................ and in public too :)[/quote]
I'm with you Steve.

The shocking thing really is that despite the fact that many shops don't stock flats at all or if they do it's probably a single packet of Roto Jazz, and despite the fact that you can hardly ever get to try out a bass with flats fitted in a shop, and because they don't stock flats anyway you can't get a free packet unless they are probably Roto Jazz which I don't like anyway, and despite the wonderful very limited freedom of choice offered by monopoly capitalism ... despite all this almost a quarter of respondents to your poll say they prefer flats and I presume are actually using them.