Why become a member? ×

Which distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal?

Conan

I am looking at joining a new covers band. There are a few in the area that sound interesting, but a lot of them plays songs where the bass features some sort of gritty, grungey or overdriven sound.

My backline set-up is very powerful, but very clean. The LH500 only has a volume control, not separate gain and master level controls - so overdriving it is not feasible.

So the question is, which pedal should I be looking at? I don't want to spend too much and am happy to buy second-hand.

Recommendations please?

[quote name='willyf87' post='1135561' date='Feb 21 2011, 02:54 PM']I currently use an EHX graphic fuzz for overdrive and EHX bass blogger for a more gritty sound. Both work well for what I need.[/quote]

What exactly is the difference between overdrive and grit? :)

I use loads of distortion and fuzz and have tried a lot of pedals. The best results I have had for adding grit without sacrificing tone are the overdrives with a proper "mix" knob that actually lets uncoloured signal through with the overdriven (rather than just ON or OFF and leaving it up to the setting of the "drive" knob) Boss and DOD both make really good bass overdrives, available S/H off ebay for under 50 quid. They are equally good at adding grit, but are different if you want LOTS of overdrive, the Dod is more "American" sounding, the Boss is more middly. If you want to go further, a Sansamp Bass Driver is a really nice grit machine, and has DI output as well as effected and parallel clean, but that will cost you closer to 100 used. However, it does mean you can go straight into the PA without losing much of your sound, and saves lugging your stack around on some gigs. I currently use DOD and Sansamp together, with a Boss FZ5 for the nuclear meltdown stuff, and I seem to have all bases covered for what I am doing. I prefer the Zvex Fuzz Factory for the mad stuff, but I don't like gigging it, as I have already broken 2 knobs off it :)

Grit = a touch of growly grindy stuff, think Geddy Lee.
Overdrive = starts at "grit" and goes up to "fairly raucous"
Distortion = Bees having a fight in a discarded Stella can, difficult to use convincingly on bass.
Fuzz = Breaking the signal up to the point of degeneration and gappiness by excessive overdrive.

Thanks for the above! I'm still a bit confused as to what people mean when they talk about "grit". Is it simply a mildly overdriven tone? And by that definition, would "fuzz" mean so much distortion that the individual notes are difficult to discern?

Sorry for the obvious, silly questions - but I am really new to this type of bass sound. I've always gone for loud but clean in the past...

Edited by Conan

[quote name='robocorpse' post='1135580' date='Feb 21 2011, 03:10 PM']Grit = a touch of growly grindy stuff, think Geddy Lee.
Overdrive = starts at "grit" and goes up to "fairly raucous"
Distortion = Bees having a fight in a discarded Stella can, difficult to use convincingly on bass.
Fuzz = Breaking the signal up to the point of degeneration and gappiness by excessive overdrive.[/quote]

Aha! Brilliant! You beat me to it. That's really helpful, thanks.

At what level would you put Chris Wolstenholm's overdriven tone on, say, Hysteria?

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' post='1135588' date='Feb 21 2011, 03:14 PM']Aha! Brilliant! You beat me to it. That's really helpful, thanks.

At what level would you put Chris Wolstenholm's overdriven tone on, say, Hysteria?[/quote]
a blend of grit,overdrive,distortion and fuzz. :)

oh and perhaps a tad of synth..

but seriously, check out the effects section, and search a few threads out.., there's been loads.

Edited by phil.i.stein

You can get hysteria with a Russian Big Muff, it was pretty much just played with one and nails it!

MXR M80+ DI is the best distortion box i've ever used and i'm looking forward too affording one!

Robocorpse you really use the Fuzz factory on bass? I've never found it great for bass, and the constant howls suit guitar better, i'd love too hear how you use it!

The MXR pedals do distortion and fuzz well, followed by EHX in my opinion but everyone has different tastes!

Because i like distortion/overdrive/grit (its rare my signal is 100% clean) AND insanely high output the signal into my amp with pedals on is real high. No other bassists like too play my stuff because i like massive strings, a majorly hot signal! haha :)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1135847' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:27 PM']MXR M80+ DI is the best distortion box i've ever used and i'm looking forward too affording one![/quote]
I just got one these - via BC marketplace - and it is [b]very[/b] fuzzy! With the gain at zero there's what I would call quite a lot of distortion, so I'm looking for something else for that "slight bloom" of overdrive. (He said, bandying around another totally subjective term...)

[quote name='ras52' post='1135874' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:44 PM']I just got one these - via BC marketplace - and it is [b]very[/b] fuzzy! With the gain at zero there's what I would call quite a lot of distortion, so I'm looking for something else for that "slight bloom" of overdrive. (He said, bandying around another totally subjective term...)[/quote]
The Bad Monkey/Badder Monkey seems quite popular for that type of sound. Not owned either myself, but maybe you could do a search for opinions from those that have.

Edit: Review [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9473"]here[/url].

Edited by Musky

[quote name='ras52' post='1135874' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:44 PM']I just got one these - via BC marketplace - and it is [b]very[/b] fuzzy! With the gain at zero there's what I would call quite a lot of distortion, so I'm looking for something else for that "slight bloom" of overdrive. (He said, bandying around another totally subjective term...)[/quote]

I used one for a few shows, mostly for the DI, but i used the drive and i found lighter drive (for my few of the thing!) the El Grande Bazz fuzzy is [size=5]FUZZ CITY[/size] tonnes and tonnes of fuzz there!

I guess its all down to finding what fits your needs!

The GK diesel Dawg is great pedal too, though hard to get in europe, and not as "Bottom heavy" as i'd like

Look at the SFX web page .
I bought the Micro Fuzz and it's great . Just added a Micro EQ after it , and it just enhances it even more .
Also Max does the Micro Distortion . That's my next purchase .
Great guy to deal with , home grown pedals and top notch quality - says it all .

Bad Monkey looks like just the thing to try for the OP - especially at around £40 delivered new.

For me, I have the "tube tone" on the TC head which is pretty good. But I use an old combo which I keep at the guitarist's house for rehearsing, and it would be [i]nice[/i] to have everything tickety-boo before it hits the amp.

Sansamp BDDI looks good - but I also love the clean tone of the MXR with the "color" button down, so I think the MXR has a place on my board regardless - and getting a BDDI (giving the option to DI from the BDDI, the MXR or the TC!) [i]as well[/i] would be OTT, wouldn't it?

+1 for the MXR. having one of these should negate your GAS for a fuzz pedal (Big Muff etc...) as the torch switch does 'fuzz pedal' really rather well. In my experience it isn't that subtle, so if you're looking for a 'gritty Geddy Lee' sound then this might be too much for that. The Ashdown hyperdrives do that really well, as they're much gentler. I've also had some good results with my MXR M80 DI box, that can go fairly extreme too, but the blend control is pretty good at taming that when it all gets too much. There you go, my 2p worth.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1135847' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:27 PM']Robocorpse you really use the Fuzz factory on bass? I've never found it great for bass, and the constant howls suit guitar better, i'd love too hear how you use it![/quote]

Plug the Status S2 in, and play chords through it. Sounds like a massive polysynth. Mmmmm

[quote name='Conan' post='1135560' date='Feb 21 2011, 02:52 PM']I am looking at joining a new covers band. There are a few in the area that sound interesting, but a lot of them plays songs where the bass features some sort of gritty, grungey or overdriven sound.

My backline set-up is very powerful, but very clean. The LH500 only has a volume control, not separate gain and master level controls - so overdriving it is not feasible.

So the question is, which pedal should I be looking at? I don't want to spend too much and am happy to buy second-hand.

Recommendations please?[/quote]

The Ashdown Hyperdrive (don't let the "James Lomenzo" signature scare you :)) is really very very good. Around £75 new, and used £40-45.

Don't trust the youtube videos. Yes, the sound on the videos is achievable, but it can do a lot more, and a lot better.

I've tried a lot of pedals over the years, and this is the first one that really sounded great to me, keeping a great definition and a fat bass bit with a good distorted edge, not just a swarm of angry wasps on top of the bass sound or a farty bass. :)

Regarding some of the others mentioned here that I have owned or still own...

The MXR M80 is very good, but the distortion doesn't do subtle well.
The MXR Blowtorch is very interesting, again not subtle, but great for some quasy-synth type of noises.
The Digitech Bad Monkey is okay as a mild overdrive. But the Danelectro Transparent Overdrive (Cool Cat) is a similar pedal, a bit cheaper, that works substantially better.
The Boss bass overdrive is... horrible. Unless you want always tons of ultra fuzzy distortion, this is not a good one.

I like the Ibanez PD7, not mentioned here. It's not a great pedal, but I like its ability to add just some "metallic grit" on top of the undistorted bass using its clean setting wth the attack switch set at 1. Think of RHCP "By the way", the bit in the midle when the bass is left alone... you get a very similar sound. It does many other things, but that's the one I like best.
The Digitech Bass Driver is a good substitute for the Boss overdrive, in that it gets much more useable sounds, and actually has some useable mild overdrive tones too, but it overlaps a lot with the Boss, so I prefer the Digitech.

But the Ashdown Hyperdrive wins. Only problem is that it's huge. But you could use it to defend yourself if you're being mugged :lol:

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' post='1139413' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:38 PM']The Boss bass overdrive is... horrible. Unless you want always tons of ultra fuzzy distortion, this is not a good one.[/quote]

Total balls. Have you heard the bass tone of the guy from Karnivool? He uses one.

Quite often people bring this pedal up and say it's only capable of weak fizzy distortion. It has a clean blend, and EQ to boost the low, and cut the highs, and it has a gain control, which is useless past 10 o'clock. It's perfect for a big bottomed growly boost!

It's not good at fuzz, but it's great at OD.