Why become a member? ×

Fender Lyte Question

Sharkfinger

Well, I've finally given in to my GAS and hit the button on a Fender Lyte on USA eBay.

Having said that, from what I've read some people are really happy with the sound of their Lyte and some find it a bit weedy. The one I bought has the original pickups and electronics and I wondered what people's experiences of this bass were. Obviously too early to start thinking about changing the electronics but it seems like a fairly common mod on this bass.

Discuss...

I've had a P-Lyte for ... 20 years (eek, really 20? Crivens!), and although it's in semi-retirement now, I still love it as a playing bass. I find it incredibly easy to play and noodle around on. In a band situation, yes, I would say it probably could do with some better pick-ups. What exactly, I guess would depend on the style and sound you are after. I don't have too many issues with the electronics, other than it does tend to consume batteries at quite a high rate. I believe there was a mod available which improved battery life, but I've never seen it in real life. If anyone knows of it, I would be interested.

Enjoy!

Edited by Simon.

I've also had one from new.
The p lyte is my go to for recordings normally unless I have a specific Tone in mind.
I've never felt that either the pups or pre are lacking anything, even in the thickest of mixes, I've never thought the bass sounds weedy. I've not had the problem with battery life either
Of course ymmv
Have fun discovering !

Edited by dudewheresmybass

I had a Lyte ,very playable , wearable & sounded great. Didn't find it weedy at all . It's a bit rare/different & I think suits having the original parts - including the bling gold hardware.

I'd suggest having a good go before doing anything rash - it does have it's own identity.

[quote name='Donnyboy' post='1131319' date='Feb 17 2011, 05:43 PM']I'd suggest having a good go before doing anything rash - it does have it's own identity.[/quote]
This is probably the best single bit of advice, I think.

Generally, I'm getting the impression that the electronics are good and can hold their own. Which is great because I've really had enough of tinkering with basses, for the time being.

Thanks everyone.

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' post='1137105' date='Feb 22 2011, 02:00 PM']I bought this brand new in 1995 and it's been my number one bass ever since. Never had a problem with pickups or batteries. In fact the only things on it that aren't original are the straplocks. I find it easy to play and very versatile.[/quote]
Cheers. Will keep a look out for a white one, yours looks sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, if there's one thing I'm not keen on it's the gloss finish on the back of the neck. Gets a bit sticky. Anyone got any advice on this point? Seem to remember someone saying some wire wool will take the shine off but not remove the protection of the finish.

[quote name='Sharkfinger' post='1130589' date='Feb 17 2011, 08:56 AM']Well, I've finally given in to my GAS and hit the button on a Fender Lyte on USA eBay.

Having said that, from what I've read some people are really happy with the sound of their Lyte and some find it a bit weedy. The one I bought has the original pickups and electronics and I wondered what people's experiences of this bass were. Obviously too early to start thinking about changing the electronics but it seems like a fairly common mod on this bass.

Discuss...[/quote]

I've had a P Lyte for years now. Early on I had Howard (aka Bass Doctor) put in some EMG pups running at 18v and the sound can be enormous when you want it and subtle when you don't. Excellent bass, pity they never did it in 5 string!