Why become a member? ×

Nut Glue

danny-79

As a follow on from the "Best Nut Material" thread i was wondering what glue / adhesive is used to hold them down with ?

I no the fitting has to be 100% so that the nut is a perfect fit into the slot it sits in with zero gaps, not loose, and not hammered in tight (a perfect fit etc).

So with that said any adhesive that is used, its job is to finish the job of with and NOT the only thing thats holding the nut in place.

So what is used ?

Edited by danny-79

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1130223' date='Feb 16 2011, 08:40 PM']A tiny tiny spot of superglue would do (but not so much that you'll never get it out again)

..... some experts will be along soon to poo-poo that idea and tell you to squeeze cabbage juice over it.[/quote]

^ this!

I have the nut in my old Maison P-copy held exclusively by a bit of superglue - it has no groves to hold the nut like the fender models - and if i want to take it out a small tap with a screwdriver's handle will be enough to release it without any damage.

[quote name='7string' post='1130225' date='Feb 16 2011, 08:41 PM']Just a few drops of white Titebond glue.

Your right in saying that the nut should be in tight. So tight, in fact, that you can lift the whole bass by the nut![/quote]

Is the white Titebond that you mention, is it slightly elasticity, (got a bit of give in it) ?

Super glue as mentioned is something that i was thinking of using (seems logical to use it) but would of thought that once it was set it would crack after a short amount of time due to the nature of it (sets hard with no give in it)

But any glue used is only like crossing T's dotting I's etc as the fit of the nut into its slot needs to be a 100% perfect fit anyway.

Thanks to all for contributions.

Edited by danny-79

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1130223' date='Feb 16 2011, 08:40 PM']A tiny tiny spot of superglue would do (but not so much that you'll never get it out again)
..... some experts will be along soon to poo-poo that idea and tell you to squeeze cabbage juice over it.[/quote]

It's carrot juice on the nut, cabbage juice is for the bridge you damn fool... :)

+1 for a couple of dots of superglue though - I have a brass nut on one of my basses that I glued with superglue about 12 years ago and it's still holding fine!

[quote name='icastle' post='1130518' date='Feb 17 2011, 01:28 AM']It's carrot juice on the nut, cabbage juice is for the bridge you damn fool... :)...[/quote]
Doh I'm always getting them 2 mixed up. :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1130523' date='Feb 17 2011, 01:37 AM']you don't need to glue the nut in. if as you say, the nut is well fitted, it should be held in place by itself+string tension.[/quote]
Yep plus one, I don't glue them in on my homemade basses. But I have seen basses where the slot is so rubbish that you can actually move the nut side to side while still under full tension.

..... some experts will be along soon to poo-poo that idea and tell you to squeeze [b]three-day-old [i]Savoy[/i][/b] cabbage juice over it.[/quote]

[b]Fixed[/b]
Some people. Soooo vague.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1130672' date='Feb 17 2011, 10:05 AM']Doh I'm always getting them 2 mixed up. :)

Yep plus one, I don't glue them in on my homemade basses. But I have seen basses where the slot is so rubbish that you can actually move the nut side to side while still under full tension.[/quote]

That's the new Just-a-nut IV. Allows lateral adjustment as well as vertical adjustment for optimum string alignment and action.
They'd have made them compensated, too, but EBMM threatened legal action :)

[quote name='Mog' post='1131479' date='Feb 17 2011, 08:00 PM']That cheap glue that comes with fake nails. All you need is something to hold the nut in place while you get the strings on. Tension will do the rest.[/quote]

So you reckon I'm gonna be OK to go into a shop to buy fake fingernails and try to explain it by saying I have a problem with my nuts..? :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1131481' date='Feb 17 2011, 08:04 PM']So you reckon I'm gonna be OK to go into a shop to buy fake fingernails and try to explain it by saying I have a problem with my nuts..? :)[/quote]
excellent :)
famous quotes thread shoe in.

[quote name='icastle' post='1131481' date='Feb 17 2011, 09:04 PM']So you reckon I'm gonna be OK to go into a shop to buy fake fingernails and try to explain it by saying I have a problem with my nuts..? :)[/quote]

In all my works, I use two tiny drops of cyanoacrilate (superglue? In italy it's sold as "Attak") to hold nuts in place.
If you need to remove the nut, you just need a firm hit with a little hammer, and it will pop off.

[quote name='Biarnel' post='1131510' date='Feb 17 2011, 08:33 PM']In all my works, I use two tiny drops of cyanoacrilate (superglue? In italy it's sold as "Attak") to hold nuts in place.
If you need to remove the nut, you just need a firm hit with a little hammer, and it will pop off.[/quote]

:)