Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fender Precision A/E

philw

All,

I acquired this rare and lovely instrument from TheGreek a few weeks ago but the impending arrival of a double bass means I need to move it on.

The Precision A/E is a pretty rare beast. They were made in low numbers in Japan in the early 90s and predate by a good few years the currently fashionable semi-sold, acoustic vibe electric basses from the likes of Joe Veillette and Rob Allen. This one is, obviously, a fretless one and other than the odd minor blemish typical of a 20 year old used instrument it's in pretty good nick. I've done a bit of setup work on it and fitted a new set of D'Addario flats (40 – 100), although for some playing tastes it'll need a little more tweaking to get the action really low.

The bass sounds really cool and oozes mojo from every pour. It has both a traditional Precision growl from the magnetic pickup and very woody voice from the bridge piezo. Mixing the two can produce all sorts of in-between tones. The neck is typically Precision; chunky but not outrageously so. The body looks to be mahogany with an off-white edge binding and spruce top. The neck is typical Precision; maple with a rosewood fingerboard. Age has yellowed the maple nicely.

I'm looking for £650 including a very nice hard case (no trades I'm afraid, unless it's something fretless and outrageously interesting). The bass is in Brighton and I'm happy to ship it.

Phil

[attachment=71760:Precision_AE_1.jpg]
[attachment=71758:Precision_AE_2.jpg]

Edited by philw

[quote name='nipplebass' post='1122624' date='Feb 10 2011, 01:53 PM']that........is fewking gorgeous!!!![/quote]

It is isn't it. I had to do a lot of thinking when Phil mentioned he was selling it a while back. The nearest sound I've ever got to a DB was with a standard fretless Precision (albeit with down-tuned TI flats), so that baby must be as close as you can get - and it can still do the classic Precision thing!

I've resisted this far.........

C

[quote name='ras52' post='1131839' date='Feb 18 2011, 08:47 AM']And what sort of adjustments can be done at the bridge?[/quote]

The condition of the fingerboard suggests it's rarely had round-wounds fitted. It has flats on it now.

Like a traditional acoustic guitar/bass, the only bridge adjustment possible is sanding down or shimming-up the saddle. The bass does have a neck tilt adjustment though which helps a bit. The neck joint can be shimmed too.

Phil

[quote name='philw' post='1135850' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:30 PM']The bass is sold and shortly on its way to Germany.[/quote]
Well done Phil. I've been wanting that bass but not in a position to buy it just at the moment, which has been playing on my mind. So its sale is a bit of a relief.

I'll be in touch about the Veillette. :)

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1136037' date='Feb 21 2011, 07:32 PM']Well done Phil. I've been wanting that bass but not in a position to buy it just at the moment, which has been playing on my mind. So its sale is a bit of a relief.[/quote]
+1

Too nice! Hope it enjoys its new home.

[quote name='ras52' post='1137420' date='Feb 22 2011, 07:09 PM']+1

Too nice! Hope it enjoys its new home.[/quote]

:) It shares its new Home with me ......very nice Bass. Had a nice rehearsal yesterday.
( But i have to practice fretless ....)

Thank you very much, Phil