Why become a member? ×

DR Sunbeams

niceguyhomer

I've had the same with DR's Black Beauties.

Had my first set on for well over 6 months and they sounded great, then my last 2 sets i've changed in under 2 months each and at about £45 a set they're not cheap!!

I've just strung up with a set of elixirs and hoping for the best after playing a mates bass with 6 month old elixirs.

I've never had a problem with DR's, except for some blackbeauties once, all the black came off within about 2 hours.

Status Hotwires are pretty good, cheap and long lasting.

I'm using Overwater strings at the moment which seem pretty good, and again they're quite cheap.

I noticed the other day that Stringsdirect hardly had any DR strings in stock.

Edited by Soliloquy

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1124301' date='Feb 11 2011, 08:17 PM']I tend to assume all strings are crap so buy the cheapest I can find. I've found the Olympia and Hartke sets pretty damn good value and failing that I'll go for Warwick Red Label. Had them all on the basses for the last 18 months and only changed the main Spector 5's last week because they were getting a little dull, rather than they were dead sounding.[/quote]

Thats philosophy as well, although I found Hartke ones horrible and klanky.

I bought some Alice Strings just to try em, £3 a set off ebay so didnt expect much. Put em on my daughters P copy and they dont seem too bad to be honest. Well worth a try at that price.

Edited by Slipperydick

Well - the replacement strings came...a 4 string set and a seperate B string so a bit cobbled together then. Undaunted, I took a chance and put them on and shazzam, my Shuker is singing to me once again. No intonation problems and the strings look, feel and sound like Sunbeams.

The ones I sent back must have been a Friday afternoon set I guess :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='1112872' date='Feb 2 2011, 07:28 PM']Newtone strings are British and often overlooked.[/quote]

+1

I recently discovered Newtone strings, and they're fantastic! I get custom wound ones which take a while to make, but no issues so far, and I won't go for any others now

[quote name='Beedster' post='1111827' date='Feb 1 2011, 11:43 PM']That's the great thing about playing La Bella flats mate, I've had the same sets on for years, and they sound better than when i first put them on! Couldn't ever go back to playing rounds and having to change them every few weeks 'cos they didn't intone any more.

C[/quote]
Flats? schmats!
I hate flats. (jokes about "apartments/bungalows" need not apply)
discuss....

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1134035' date='Feb 20 2011, 08:41 AM']Well - the replacement strings came...a 4 string set and a seperate B string so a bit cobbled together then. Undaunted, I took a chance and put them on and shazzam, my Shuker is singing to me once again. No intonation problems and the strings look, feel and sound like Sunbeams.

The ones I sent back must have been a Friday afternoon set I guess :)[/quote]

I strill think DR's suit me best all things considered but wasn't impressed to get a duff set recently.
I suppose I could explain it away by saying not bad for nigh on 20 years and numerous sets, but they aren't cheap so this does not want to become a patttern.

Looked into Newtone,
I can't see any tapered so maybe custom..?? also what is a diamond and platimun.. nickel and stainless..?
Prices seem ok and worth a punt

I've been using DR strings for about 7 years now and I change them every 12 months, whether they need it or not! So that's 7 sets.

Most of the time I get them from Stringbusters, and I've never had a problem with the strings or Stringbusters. I usually pop in to the shop as I'm only a few miles away. I've always found them to be a helpful bunch of guys.

I bought my first pack of Sunbeams from Stringbusters over the weekend, & got to say on fitting them tonight they are excellent.

I am normally a diehard Kerly Kues user, but the Sunbeams might just have the edge over over the KK's. Saying that, they are quite a lot more expensive so perhaps they should!

I sent off an e-mail to DR Strings in the USA to inform them of our concerns. Here's the reply I got from their president Mark Dronge (used with permission)

[i]"Dear Colin: Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the noted complaints, and concerns your forum writers have communicated to you and the UK world of bass players. First, let me state that any sets of DR strings where there is a "sealed" packet inside the box are, at this time, counterfeit. We have seen examples over the past two years. It is imposssible to trace and stop. As for a reduction in caring, or training, or inspection on the part of DR, or any DR employee, nothing could be further from the truth. We absolutely strive to produce finer strings with more consistency than any other manufacturer in the world. Whether we succeed or not may be open to debate based on personal taste. That is our goal, each and every day. DR is not out to produce the most strings at the lowest cost. Our goal, which I have personally pursued from the first day we began production over 20 years ago, is to offer the best strings it is possible to produce. Which leads to the question is a string produced on a computer assisted winding machine more accurately made than a handmade string? We think NOT, for specific reasons. In the future when and if a serious problem arises with a set of DR HandMade String I would advise your forum contributors to contact First Line Music, the DR distributor for the UK.

Very truly yours,

Mark Dronge,
President, DR HandMade Strings, inc."[/i]

If anyone continues to have an issue with DR Strings, the UK importer is - [url="http://www.firstlinemusic.co.uk/contact.php"]http://www.firstlinemusic.co.uk/contact.php[/url]

I think it would be useful to return any packaging the strings came in as well.

Nice one Hamster. I've never suspected a set to be bogus, they always come in the right packaging and I always buy from the same source but there have been subtle differences in sets. I'm so used to Sunbeams, I guess I'm sensitive to any variations.

The B string on my replacement set is duff to the point of being unusable almost but I can't be bothered to return it.

[quote name='danhkr' post='1147223' date='Mar 2 2011, 03:16 PM']Have any of you DR users compared them to Elixirs? I'd be interested to know how they compare. :)[/quote]

I recently switched from black DR sunbeams & black beauties to a set of elixirs and i couldn't be happier.

I've been so disappointed with my last 2 sets of DR strings, can't remember there being any difference in the packaging so can't say whether they were counterfeit or not.

But yeah, i'm pretty sure i'm an elixir convert now.

Jake

Always been more than happy to pay the premium for DR strings and they were ALWAYS good, IMV.

I can't recall the packaging but will be aware of this in the future.

My recent experiments against other makers hasn't brought better results so I remain a fan and user of DR at this time.

Haven't tried Newtone or Elixirs. To make the move, the pack of 5 would have to be under £30 to be worth a punt/experiment to me.
That is asuming DR strings retain the quality I used to get...and my recent experience is a blip or one-off.

More than happy with the above response from DR. Well done Mods for progressing this.