Why become a member? ×

FX recommendations...

leroybasslines

Now, I've never been one for effects and all that malarkey. I've always seen it as a weakness of character reserved for our six stringed 'friends'. However, recently I've been thinking that it's about time that I should try it all out. For a bit. And then go back to just plugging my bass straight into the amp and having a pint while I watch the guitar player and keyboard player desperately try to work out why no sound is coming out of their amps.

Sooo. By my reckoning, a soul/jazz/funk/bit of rock bass player like me doesn't need much. I'm thinking somekind of warm fuzz thing, an octave thing and one of those wah wah wah envelope things. That should do it.

I've already got the fuzz - I recently got a 2nd hand Bass Juice, and very good it is too.

That leaves the octave and envelope things. I looked around and the MXR stuff seems good (I especially enjoyed this demo - exactly the kind of vibeI'd use it for: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j_WqyHJaoQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j_WqyHJaoQ[/url]. Dirty, dirty funk)

I've heard the MXR octave is good, but it's pricey.

So, any suggestions for an old school Luddite would be greatfully received.

I`m much the same, not really into effects on bass. Only time I ever really used them was in a 3 piece, to add some variety into the sound. Used a chorus pedal, and a delay pedal. Just enough to add to what was there, but nothing too extreme to detract from the original sound.

In a band with either 2 guitarists, or one guitar and keyboards, I not sure I would want to be changing the sound on the bass, and would prefer to let them handle this.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1108832' date='Jan 30 2011, 10:38 PM']I`m much the same, not really into effects on bass. Only time I ever really used them was in a 3 piece, to add some variety into the sound. Used a chorus pedal, and a delay pedal. Just enough to add to what was there, but nothing too extreme to detract from the original sound.

In a band with either 2 guitarists, or one guitar and keyboards, I not sure I would want to be changing the sound on the bass, and would prefer to let them handle this.[/quote]

I play in quite a wide variety of bands - in the large soul band there's no way I'd start messing about with fx because I've got a job to do and like you don't want change the sound of the bass. But I've come to think that perhaps in smaller band situations it could be fun...and unless I've given it a go I can't turn my nose up at it! I'll probably get some pedals, try it for a bit and then sell them!

How do you use a delay pedal with the bass? Do you use a short delay for an effect or more crazy stuff?

I've tried lots of pedals and currently own what i think is the best for every effect (IMO). Just read my signature :)

Edit: Why don't you get a multifx unit like Boss and try almost every fx available and see if you can get any use out of them. Then start buying dedicated pedal for each fx.

Edited by Ghost_Bass

For an octaver,I really like the EBS Octabass and the Boss OC2,and my favourite envelope filter us the EMMA DiscumBOBulator.

It's funny,I find myself using more effects playing in a larger band (8 piece) than when I'm in a smaller guitar based band.

[quote]Why don't you get a multifx unit like Boss and try almost every fx available and see if you can get any use out of them. Then start buying dedicated pedal for each fx.[/quote]

I think that may be a concession too far! I hate those computer generated multi pedal things...mainly because I get confused and then nearly fall over when using them! Thanks for the pedal tips though - you like the MXR stuff? That's what's drawing me, but I'm struggling to find a dealer in Bristol that carries the bass stuff so that I can have a fiddle...

[quote]It's funny,I find myself using more effects playing in a larger band (8 piece) than when I'm in a smaller guitar based band.[/quote]

That's interesting Doddy! Not that I use them much at all, but I'd have thought that was counter-intuitive! Why do you reckon that's the case?

Never heard of the DiscomBOBulator! Thanks for the tip...I'm off to find out more!

Went to try out the Boss OC-3 today at PMT in town (I have an irrational hatred of big music shops btw, so I may rant). I didn't like it much - the sound seemed unwieldy and characterless. There was almost too much octave and not enough subtlety. The sales guy was raving about an Ashdown bass octave and how it was the best thing since sliced bread and I could put a tenner down as a deposit and he'd order it in so I could try it out. As he could barely play the bass at all, I decided to leave it and ask you guys instead! Any experience of Ashdown octavers? I did quite like the sub bass thingy on their amps when I've used them in the past.

[quote name='leroybasslines' post='1109760' date='Jan 31 2011, 05:45 PM']That's interesting Doddy! Not that I use them much at all, but I'd have thought that was counter-intuitive! Why do you reckon that's the case?[/quote]

Mainly because in a larger band with guitar,horns and keys I don't need to worry about filling the sound out and use effects to give more synth like tones and give a different texture to some tunes.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1109774' date='Jan 31 2011, 05:58 PM']Mainly because in a larger band with guitar,horns and keys I don't need to worry about filling the sound out and use effects to give more synth like tones and give a different texture to some tunes.[/quote]

Makes sense. When I think of this fx stuff, I think of Stevie Wonder's left hand keyboard bass lines. That's the kind of vibe I'm thinking of, and that would suit my larger band with keys, horns etc. We play a lot of Stevie stuff...

Having said that, just starting up a jazz/soul instrumental trio with some players I've known for a while - keys/piano, drums and EB/DB. This is what made me think that fx might be fun...soloing and all that.

[quote name='leroybasslines' post='1109760' date='Jan 31 2011, 05:45 PM']I think that may be a concession too far! I hate those computer generated multi pedal things...mainly because I get confused and then nearly fall over when using them! Thanks for the pedal tips though - you like the MXR stuff? That's what's drawing me, but I'm struggling to find a dealer in Bristol that carries the bass stuff so that I can have a fiddle...[/quote]

I realy like the MXR Octave. Yes it's a bit expensive but it has a very natural and organic sound and the blend knob is very helpfull. You should try your best to find some place to try it even if it means walking into a big store :)

For wah i love the 3Leaf but never tried the EMMA or the new'ish MXR so don't know what would be the best.

A Boss ME50B or a smaller one would able you to try different kinds of fx at home and find out wich ones you could use live. There's no need to rush it to a gig before you feel comfortable with it. When you decide you only like and use 2 or 3 fx then you can safely buy good pedals for those sounds and won't risk disliking them and selling in the same week.
Over the sales section you can get a ME50B for around £100 and after you're through with it you can sell it without much value loss.

Cheers

[quote name='leroybasslines' post='1109791' date='Jan 31 2011, 06:12 PM']Having said that, just starting up a jazz/soul instrumental trio with some players I've known for a while - keys/piano, drums and EB/DB. This is what made me think that fx might be fun...soloing and all that.[/quote]

For that kind of stuff,I generally just use the OC2,DiscumBOBulator and a TC Nova Repeater.
I like the TC for soloing-it just gives a bit of a different character over the regular bass tone,if you use a really short delay.

Another OC2 fan here, also a dirt box of some sort. Currently an MXR bass blowtorch - really quite an angry box. Also a home-made one that I'm developing to do an even wider spread of sounds - vintage valvey tones up to 2 stage fuzz. Mmmmmm, dirt.

I tend not to gig without some sort of distortion - even for quieter jobs, as it can really add something to a performance - and not just the obvious THBBBBPPPPPP either, set properly a good distortion pedal will fatten up your sound or help you to cut through a busy mix.

So yes, OC2 and a dirt box. I've got a load of other stuff, but these two are ALWAYS on the board.

Hmmm...I'm thinking OC2. I like Pino's sound when he uses one, so maybe that's the way forward.

I've got a Bass Juice for distortion and I really like it! Although my guitar player keeps nicking it when we play live - he loves the bottom end it gives him compared to guitar fuzz boxes.

Thanks guys - these are all really helpful recommendations and ideas. Gives me somewhere to start from at least!

I'd also suggest its worth looking at the MXR bass auto Q (M-188).

It doesnt do anywhere near as wide a variety of sounds as something like the Discombobulator, or the 3 Leaf, however what it has going for it is that is unbelievably simple to set up and get a pretty darn good squelch.

If you arent too used to setting up filters it can be a right old dingdong of a learning curve, and that pedal definitely flattens that curve considerably.

It may sound very familiar advice, but try engaging your octave effect and play and octave above where you would usually - then you're using the octaver as an octave-up; a [b]very[/b] effective way of thickening up your sound without it sounding too rumbly and warbly.

I regularly use an octaver and I use it like this. It sounds awesome.

Personally, I'd go for a second hand Zoom or Boss unit: you can get them cheap and you can experiment with different sounds. Delay, chorus, octave, overdrive, fuzz, synth; all of them I regularly use but it's taken me a good while to find out what I like and how to use the sounds in a band context.

It's a fun journey but it's tempting to buy an overdrive and turn it up half way. In my opinion that's a middle-of-the-road, mediocre response to an initially inquisitive thought process. Give it a go, have some fun, I can assure you, you will!

Dan

[quote name='leroybasslines' post='1110976' date='Feb 1 2011, 01:48 PM']Which is why I need to try an OC-2! The OC-3 felt a little out of control to me and too fiddly for one or two useable sounds. The OC-2 may be similar, but might make more sense useability wise...[/quote]

Did you try the OC-2 mode on the OC-3?

I think if you're un sure, then a multi like the zoom B2 is a great idea, as you'd then be able to learn about all effects, and how to control them.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1110840' date='Feb 1 2011, 12:06 PM']I would assume the OC-2 mode would use the same circuit as the OC-2. I've not tried it, but someone else here did AB them.[/quote]

Afraid not. The OC-2 mode is a digital model of an OC-2. The sounds are pretty close, but doesn't track the same.

A